Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Six

March 4th, 2011
Thursday
Outside of Bowdoin Apartment Building 2, Boston, MA
9:54 A.M.

Milan held a hysterical Raina in his arms. She sobbed into his shirt as they stood outside of Anna and Rick’s apartment building. The sound of sirens coming from the cop cares surrounding them was unbearable to Milan as he tried to soothe Raina. It had been an hour since Raina had walked into Anna’s apartment and discovered her dead body. She had called the police and then him to tell him what had happened. He had arrived at the scene to see her standing on the sidewalk crying with a police officer comforting her. The cops were inside now, looking at the crime scene. Of course Anna had been declared dead from the moment the cops had walked in and seen her. But Rick was still alive, just barely holding onto life. Milan whispered

“Let’s get out of here ok?” said Milan, “If the cops want to interview you they have your name and information they can call you. This isn’t a good place for you right now.” He led her to the car and sat her down in the front seat before getting in himself. As they drove home Milan listened to Raina’s crying, which had gone down from sobbing to lightly crying.

“They’re going to find out what happened, everything will be fine,” he said taking Raina’s hand in his.

“No it won’t, she’s dead!”

“All we can do is to keep Rick in our prayers. That he pulls through this and can still play hockey.” By the time they got home Raina had stopped crying but was still shaking and sniffling. He walked her through the lobby and then carried her into their apartment. He placed her gently down on the couch. He lay with her and pulled a blanket over the two of them. Raina spoke clearly to him for the first time the whole day and said

“You’re leaving tomorrow morning for an away game?” Milan remembered that tomorrow morning he had to get up and leave for a flight to Pittsburgh. He felt horrible and said

“Ya,” he said quietly, not wanting to say it to her. “I am.”

“You’re just leaving me here, alone and pregnant after what just happened?”

“Well what do you want me to do? I can’t just not go to the game.”

“Nothing, forget I said anything.” said Raina. Milan took a deep breath and said

“I’m going to be away three nights actually.”

“Why?!” said Raina.

“Because we play the Pens tomorrow night, then we fly out to Montreal tomorrow night and play the Canadians the next night, we fly out that night to Buffalo then the next day we play Buffalo and that next day we fly home in the morning.”

“I can’t believe this,” said Raina. “You’re going to leave me home here alone?”

“Seriously what do you want me to do Raina,” he said “I want more than anything to be here with you but I can’t,” the phone rang and Milan got up off the couch to answer it.

“Hello?” he said. There was a long pause in between before Milan talked again. “Yes, she can, 9:00 tomorrow morning?” There was another pause. “She’ll be there.” Milan hung up the phone and said “That was the Boston police; they want you down at headquarters 9:00 tomorrow morning for questioning.”

“Any news on Anna or Rick?” she said feeling tears well up in her eyes again.

“Ya, Anna died from strangulation and knife wounds found in her stomach,” Raina’s tears overflowed and she said

“Who could of done that to her?”

“A monster,” said Milan quietly.

“What about Rick?”

“He died earlier this afternoon in the hospital from severe head trauma, his brain was to damaged.” Raina started sobbing again.

“Who could of done this to them!” She said loudly.

“I don’t know,” said Milan gravely. He came back over and sat down on the couch next to her. “A sicko,”

“But why them?”

“I don’t know, the police will sort everything out, nobody gets away with something like this.” Milan stayed with Raina until she cried herself to sleep. He then picked her up and put her in bed. He felt like a horrible person for leaving her behind tomorrow. He really would do anything to stay with her if he could.

Raina woke up around 2 A.M. screaming. Milan heard her in his sleep and woke up yelling

“What?! What’s going on?!” He heard her sobbing again and said “What happened?!” She was clinging tightly to him in the dark saying over and over

“GET HIM AWAY!!” Milan took her into his arms and said

“Sssshh, baby calm down,” he gently rocked her back and forth. He could feel her shaking. When her breathing got slower he said “Tell me what happened.”

“I had a nightmare,”

“What happened?”

“I saw her blue eyes in my nightmare.”

“Is that it?” said Milan “You were screaming about a ‘him.’”

“I was in Anna’s apartment and I saw a man stab her. When he turned around and came after me, he didn’t have a face.” Milan held her tighter and said

“Well you’re here with me, safe in bed; I would never let anything happen to you. You are my whole world Raina Lucic.” He cradles her in his arms until she dozed off again and then lay her back down. He stayed awake the rest of the night, feeling the horrible guilt of having to leave at 5:00 to get to the airport. Raina slept the rest of the night but he heard her talk in her sleep. No specific words, just low mumbling he couldn’t understand. When the alarm went off for 5:00 Milan quickly shut it off trying not to wake Raina but she sat up anyway.

“Where are you going?” she said still sounding half asleep.

“My flight leaves in an hour,” he said going over to the closet and pulling on a pair of jeans.

“Don’t go,” she said in such a sad voice it made Milan feel horrible again. “Stay with me,” Milan went back over to the bed and kissed Raina and said

“I can’t, I would give anything to stay here with you sweetie but I can’t, I gotta go do my job. I’ll call you when you get up.” Raina lay back down into the bed and Milan set the alarm lock for her at 8:00 so she’d have time to get up and get ready to go down to the police station.

Raina woke up three hours later feeling absolutely exhausted still. She had been haunted all night with horrifying dreams about Anna’s death, a faceless man trying to kill her, and the image of Anna’s lifeless big blue eyes staring at her. He vaguely remembered talking to Milan earlier that morning and wasn’t surprised to see he had left. She got up and remembered she was expected to be at the police station for questioning in an hour. Annoyed, she quickly dressed and ate and was out the door headed across town to the police headquarters. When she arrived she parked out front of the large brick building. It had started to rain, and the dark gray clouds that had rolled in promised a thunder storm as it rumbled in the distance. When she walked in the woman at the desk asked her who she was.

“I’m Raina Julien, I’m hear to be questioned at 9:00 today.” The woman checked a clipboard of names and said

“Have a seat,” Raina went over to a row of benches and sat down looking out the large windows up at the sky. An unexpected flash of lightning made her jump a little out of her seat. Great, a thunderstorm just made her day even worse.

“Raina?” said a voice. She looked up to see an officer she had talked to yesterday standing in a doorway on the other side of the room.

“Hi,” she said standing up. She went forward and shoke the man’s hand.

“I’m Detective Brown; I’ll be questioning you today. There’s no reason to be nervous, you are absolutely not a suspect we just need important information from you that could help you solve the crime.” As Raina walked into a dark cement room with a table in the middle she felt like she was starring in CSI. Raina took a seat across from Detective Brown. She watched him pull out a large binder and open it up. He pulled out a spiral notebook and began questioning her.

“How long did you and Anna Kneeland know each other?”

“Only a few days, I met her at a hockey practice. My fiancé was on the Bruins with her boyfriend Rick and I started talking to her to make her feel a bit more comfortable around all the other wives and girlfriends she seemed very shy when she first talked to me.” The detective took down a few notes and then said

“Shy as in scared?”

“No, she told me she didn’t like going out of her comfort zone much, and meeting new people seemed to be part of that.” He took more notes.

“Was Rick good to her from what you saw?”

“Ya, he seemed like a nice guy, very eager to start playing with the team, excited to meet his new teammates.” The questioning seemed to go on for hours. The detective asked her very specific questions. Raina stayed calm through most of it except when he started asking about the crime scene.

“What did you first do when you walked in?” Raina thought back to the day before when she first walked into the apartment. She felt tears come to her eyes again and said in a shaky voice

“I walked in and there was huge mess in the kitchen, there were plates shattered and pots and pans everywhere.” She took a deep breath and tried to swallow the lump in her throat. The detective looked at her sympathetically and said

“Here take these,” he handed her a box of Kleenex and she thanked him and continued on about what she had seen in the bedroom and living room before finding the bodies. She burst into tears when she tried to describe the way she found the bodies. The detective comforted her and got her to calm down enough so she could clearly talk about what had happened.

“Thank you so much, Ms. Julien. You’ve just helped us so much. Do you mind if we call you if we need anymore information?”

“I don’t mind,” she said.

“Good, also at some point we’d like to talk to your fiancé, Milan about what went on in the locker room with Rick, how he acted, stuff like that. Just take a deep breath, neither of you are suspects, everything’s going to get all sorted out I promise.” He said smiling warmly at her. Raina felt a little better and said

“Thanks,” and then she left the room. When she walked back out into the main room she saw that it had started down pouring and the thunderstorm had rolled in. It was a long lonely ride home. Not many cars were out in the streets as the rain was nearly blinding. When she got back home she wrapped herself up in the blanket on the couch and turned on the TV. She decided she was going to be lazy the rest of the day and do nothing but watch old movies.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment!

I absolutely love Seguin right now lol, they shouldn't of taken him out earlier in the playoffs. GO BRUINS!!! Keep it up!!