Sequel: Fool With Dreams
Status: Completed :)

Bittersweet Sundown

One Of These Days Maybe Your Magic Won't Affect Me

“Wait, you’ll get blood all over the place,” Ash complained when Brian lifted her on top of the kitchen island.

“I don’t care, you can clean it up later, after I’m done patching you up,” he said, taking Icky from her hands and letting him down to the floor. After that he disappeared for a minute and came back with a first aid bag in his hand.

Not saying another word, he cleaned Ash’s wounds and rest of her leg using an old towel, ignoring Ash’s squeaks of pain.

“I’m getting you to hospital,” he said at last.

“No,” Ash refused firmly.

“Yes,” Brian didn’t give up.

“No. I’d rather die than go to a hospital,” she said sadly, turning her gaze to her ripped up leg. There were two deep punctual marks and two long deep scraps, still bleeding slightly.

“Suit yourself,” Brian muttered and took out his mobilephone.

“Hey man, where the fuck are you?” he asked when other end was picked up.

“Get your sister and get to my place, now” Brian demanded few seconds later, looking down at Ash’s tight again. “Ashlee got her leg ripped up while saving your mutt, that’s what happened. Now, move your fat ass.” He put his phone to the counter beside Ash and then cleaned her wound once again, before laying a big enough patch on her leg. Ash just sat quietly and watched him. She didn’t even realize that there was a tiny smile on her lips.

“What?” Brian asked, seeing her smile.

“You have a bunny nose,” she said, without thinking.

“Did you hit your head?” Brian was looking at her like she’d lost her mind.

“Nope. You have a round nose, just like bunnies. I think it’s kind of cute,” she muttered, turning her gaze down. She couldn’t understand how she could fell for this man. She had no hope, unless a miracle would happen. But she knew better than to believe in miracles.

Sighing, she jumped down from the kitchen island, regretting that move right away. There was a shot of pain through her leg when she landed on it. Brian caught her before she even got the chance to loose her balance.

“Take it easy now, bunny lover,” he smirked, helping her into the living room and down to the couch.

“I know it hurts your ego to be so kind to me, so you can stop that now,” Ash muttered, feeling uncomfortable being so close to him. He was just about to snap something back, when the front door flew open and Michelle walked in.

“Oh, hi Ash, what are you doing here?” she asked, surprised.

“Hey Michelle, I’m sorry for intruding your home. I had an accident on the beach and Brian brought me here instead of taking me back to Val’s,” Ash tried to get up. She didn’t like bothering other people.

“Don’t be silly, sit down. I don’t mind you being here. What happened?” Michelle asked, coming to sit down next to her.

“Some stupid dog attacked me, it’s not that bad,” she tried to sound careless, ignoring the throbbing pain in her leg. Brian snorted and walked back to kitchen, without saying a word, and started to clean up the mess he’d left there.

​“Did you go to the hospital? What if he had rabies?” Michelle asked worriedly, eyeing that large patch Brian had put on her leg.

“No. I hate hospitals. And the owner of the dog said that his monster shouldn’t have rabies, that he’s had required shots regularly,” Ash explained, not looking happy at all. She really hoped that this man was telling the truth.

“Are you sure? I still think you should let someone check it out. For just in case,” Michelle said, pushing her high heel shoes off.

“Yes, I’m sure. Thank you for worrying ‘tho, I appreciate it,” Ash smiled to her, trying to get up again. “I should get going now, I have to find some decent hotel to stay. I don’t want to be a burden to Leana any more, I’ve stayed there for too long already.”

“Sit down. You’re not going anywhere ‘til Zina takes a look at your leg. They should be here soon,” Brian commanded, handing her a glass of water and a two white pills. His tone of voice was so harsh that Ash sat down involuntarily, feeling slightly scared.

“Bri, don’t scare our guest like that,” Michelle scolded her husband, furrowing her brows at him. Brian just walked out of the room again.

“I’m sorry, he’s being rude sometimes,” she apologized, turning her gaze down in shame.

“It’s okay, I’m used to it. He just doesn’t like me, that’s all,” Ash said quietly, concentrating on that glass of water in her hand. “Who’s Zina?”

“She’s Zack’s sister, she works as an intern in HB Hospital. She’ll take a look at your leg. You want some coffee?” Michelle asked, getting up again.

“Oh, you don’t have to make it because of me,” she said, getting up herself. It hurt a lot and she had to support herself by leaning against the armrest.

“Damn that dog,” she muttered angrily.

“I need a cup too, so don’t worry. How long are you planning to stay in Huntington?” she asked, walking slowly towards the kitchen, giving Ash a chance to keep up with her.

“Honestly, I have no idea. I just love it here. I was thinking about staying here ‘til the end of the week and then going to LA for some time. You guys have made it so great for me in here,” Ash told her, limping slowly after her hostess for now.

“Well, I’m glad you’ve liked it here. I haven’t seen Jimmy so happy in a long time. He’s not gonna want to let you go,” Michelle smiled to her friendly.

Michelle didn’t know exactly what to think about this girl, they hadn’t spent much time together, but most of the group seemed to like her a lot. Ash seemed like a sweet and caring person. So she decided to give her a chance too. Michelle knew, she was taking a risk by trusting her, but she was tired of suspecting everyone new in her life and she wanted to listen to her heart this time. If it was a mistake then she’d deal with it later.

“Jimmy’s awesome. He’s the coolest person I’ve met in my whole life,” Ash laughed, sitting down by the kitchen island. Brian was nowhere to be seen and she was relieved.

“Well, he seems to think the same about you,” Michelle smiled, preparing to make the coffee.

“I doubt that, there’s nothing that special about me,” she muttered. She didn’t ​have that low self esteem when she was younger, it was just the result of living with Sean so long.

Michelle cast an unbelievable gaze at her but didn’t say anything, instead she started to make dinner.

“Fuck, damn onion,” she swore after some awkward silence, wiping tears from her eyes.

“Hold it under cold water for a while, it takes some of the bitterness away,” Ash advised, feeling the stinging in her own eyes too.

Michelle looked at the cutting board in front of her, trying to figure out what to do with already chopped onion. Ash couldn’t hold back a smile, seeing her clueless face.

“Do you have a colander?” she asked, carefully standing up and walking next to her. Nodding, Michelle handed her one from the cabinet over the sink. Ash quickly slid all the onions into it and held it under running cold water for couple of minutes.

“What are you doing with these,” she asked, turning off the water and drained excess water before tossing them back on the cutting board.

“I was thinking about some salad and mashed potatoes with grilled ribs,” Michelle said, taking some ribs out of the fridge.

“Mm, I love mashed potatoes,” Ash said dreamily, making Michelle laugh.

“I thought I was the only one who loves that mush,” she smiled, while laying ribs on a plate.

“Are you gonna grill them outside?” Ash asked, pointing her head at the ribs.

"Brian can do this. I'm boiling potatoes and making salad," Michelle said before walking out with the ribs.

"Can I help you?" Ash asked when she came back in.

“Are you sure? You don’t have to,” Michelle tried to be polite. She didn’t want to make her quest work.

“Yes. I’d be glad to help. I could make the salad, if it’s okay with you?” Ash offered. She hated sitting still and doing nothing.

“Well, in that case, vegetables are in the fridge,” Michelle smiled before turning to the cabinet and looking for a cooking pot.


May 17, 2010

I really don't understand Brian. He's acting like he hates me. And yet I can't help but notice how he sometimes looks at me, with that longing in his eyes.
Maybe I remind him someone. But then, why he hates me so much? I don't know, I'm probably just imagining all this.

Anyway, I got bitten by a dog today. Oh, and Michelle seems actually really nice. She has been kind of cool towards me ‘til now. Guess she's finally realized that I'm not a threat to her. And Zack thinks we could be friends, which is super cool. I like him, he's really funny.

But now I'm going to sleep. My leg hurts like hell. Damn mutt :(
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for the comments. Really appreciate it :)

Title Credit: Rihanna - Hate That I Love You