‹ Prequel: Get It Right
Sequel: Go Your Own Way
Status: Finished

Turning Tables

.02

“Do we have to put the stinging stuff on there?” Jacoby looked up at me with his big wide eyes filled with fear and instantly my hormones kicked in, I wanted to start crying right then.

“We have to baby, just to make sure your hands don’t get infected,” I pushed back the tears that welled up in my eyes and led him back to the bathroom in the bus. I helped him hop up on the toilet and I bent down on the floor to study his wounds. “It’s a good thing mommy’s a nurse, huh?”

“It’s a really good thing, mommy,” he nodded his head enthusiastically but he still didn’t seem all that happy for me to check his hands out.

I studied his hands for a few minutes, checking to see if any glass was stuck in the little slices of his palm before I made him hold his hands over the sink, I poured peroxide over his palms and watched as he sneered and started whining. I hurriedly blew on his hands, cooling them off. “Almost done, baby,” I brushed his thick brown hair back, raking my fingers through it as he shook his hands off. “All I have to do now is put Neosporin and Spiderman band aids; you’ll be the coolest kid in town.”

“Will Dani be jealous?” he looked up, curious.

“I’m pretty sure she’ll ask me for one behind your back,” I agreed with a soft nod. I finished up and gave his forehead a peck. “Now don’t run with things in your hands, kiddo. Never run with glass.”

“And never touch glass,” he threw out there with a firm nod, affirming that he actually had been listening.

“I love you,” I touched my forehead to his, smiling into his dark blue eyes.

“I love you,” he repeated and brought a smile to his lips. “Can I go play with Dani now?”

“Yes, don’t take your band aids off,” I picked up all the band aid wrappers and threw them in the trash; I backed out of the bathroom and turned around to face Matt.

“Is he okay? I heard the fall,” he leaned against the wall, crossed his arms and looked at me through his sunglasses.

“Small cuts on his palms but he’s okay, he picked up the glass pieces that broke in the frame,” I explained as I walked past him. “Did you or Val get the picture frame, it was so cute.”

“I did, Danielle found it and Jacoby said he’d use his allowance to buy it because he wanted to give it to his little brother,” Matt smiled at the last part; he followed me out into the main area of the bus. He sat down at the small table, I wondered over across from him. “So, I heard that you got a phone call.”

“Yes, a very short and rude phone call from my sister describing what she wanted done. Adele has a softball game next weekend and Adele has requested you come see her, Cole said if you came to leave Val here with us,” I looked off, shrugging my shoulders. “In other words that I will not repeat.”

“She has a bad habit of referring to Val as The Slut, I’m going to take a blind leap of faith and bet she used her favorite nickname for my wife,” Matt chuckled and leaned his head on his palm. “Not that she’s far off; she’s actually hitting it pretty close to heart.”

“Matt, don’t say that about your-“I stopped when the bus door opened, we waited as Val walked up the steps with Danielle behind her. “So, are you going to go see Adele’s game?”

“Tour ends in four days, yeah I’ll be able to see it,” Matt rubbed the back of his neck and then huffed when Danielle jumped in his lap. “You guys want to come with me?”

“Yeah, I’ve been wanting to see Adele and meet Cole’s new husband,” I chuckled and winked at Danielle when she blew me a kiss. She laughed softly and laid her head on Matt’s chest. “Matthew, what did you do with my kids? They came back quiet, loving and tired.”

“I let them run out all their energy at the park and playground,” Matt was playing with Danielle’s straight blond hair, he loved how he could twisted it around his finger and it would produce a ringlet. It didn’t take much to entertain the man.

“It was fun,” Danielle smiled sleepily as she looked at me from across the table, her eyes were drooping. “But it made me sleepy; I was up when Uncle Matt got up.”

“I woke her up first because I know how long she takes to get ready,” Matt commented, then threw me an annoyed look. “Just like her mother.”

“Shut up, you can’t rush perfection,” I gave him a glare and then smiled at Danielle. “Right babe?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, chapter 2!

Banner

Comment please.