Just the beginning

watched

I was gathering together all my things ready to finally leave this damn hospital. I was meant to be taking it slow but i was never one to listen to a doctor.
Picking up my bag I slung it over my shoulder and made my way to the door, i no longer felt like i was being watched and couldn't help but smile as I closed the door and stepped into the hallway. I smiled at the nurse that had been taking care of me and quickly made my way towards the front entrance of the hospital keen to get away from the smell of antiseptic.
stepping outside i took a deep breath of fresh air.
"I knew you would be fine, you always are" i turned around to see my best friend oe behind me. His sandy blonde hair disheveld and his blue eyes bright and happy. He grabbed me into a hug, his tall lean frame pressed against me, smothering me.
"Thanks for picking me up Joe, Its good to be out of there and i am so glad to see you" I said squeezing him back before pulling away. We crossed the road to his car and i couldnt help but grin.

On the ride home the feeling of being watched returned, i tried to ignore it as Joe drove the last mile or so out of the city area and into the small town where my house was located just on the outskirts.

My house was rather small and somewhat isolated with it being a 5 minute drive from the main town but it was home and i liked to have the privacy. The front of my house looked neat and tidy with a few trees much unlike the rear which backed onto an overgrown forest in which a stream lay not too far away. It reminded me of my childhood home which was probably the reason i bought it. I love nature and liked to have my privacy but didnt want to be so alone that i had no one around me. With the privacy i got and the town only 5 minutes away this was the perfect location.

soon i arrived home opening the front door i headed straight for the kitchen with Joe following behind me, my bags in hand. I didnt really feel like talking to him while he fussed over me
"I think I am just going to have a shower and then go rest for a few hours" I lied to him trying my best to make it look convincing.
"Are you sure?"
"I am sure Joe"
"Well ok but call if you need anything and try to take it easy ok?"
"I promise" i said smiling again as i walked him to the door and waved goodbye. As soon as his car pulled away I shut the door and went up the stairs to the bathroom, running the taps of water i undressed and eased myself in to the tub as the steaming water made my muscles relax.

It felt good to be clean again and back at my own home. I felt free as i got out of the bath and wrapped a towel around me making my way to my bedroom. I sat on the edge of my bed before dropping backwards, the comfort of the mattress surrounding me and before I could even think i fell asleep.
*i was running, wind rushing through my fur, it felt so good to be out in the open as i jumped over a log and over tree roots. I felt free and was loving every minute of it as the vivid images of the forest raced past. I arrived at a stream and leaped straight over it landing on the embankment on the other side. Increasing my speed I took a sharp turn to the right avoiding low branches and listening to the crunch of dead leaves underfoot. I felt at peace with myself and the world*
I woke up and looked around, realizing i fell asleep in just a towel I put on some clothes and went down stairs. It was five in the afternoon and the sun would be setting soon. I stepped out on to the porch and sat on the swing turning on some music as i went. The feeling of being watched had returned and i was beginning to get rather paranoid. Every couple of minutes i would look over my shoulder or towards the edge of the forest to look for the pair of eyes observing me but they were never found.