What If I Can't Forget You?

I still remember the night you tried to kiss me through the window.

Mike had to go on tour with the band. I was doing fine alone in the house. I saw my brother Ben and his wife a few times, too. But as a few months went by, I got lonely. I missed Mike more than I had thought I would. We called each other almost every day but it just wasn't the same. I missed being with him.

On Sunday as I was cleaning up the house, I walked into Mike's room where he kept his drums. As I looked at the drum kit, it made me even more sadder. I knew Mike would be back in a few weeks, but even that felt too long. As I looked at his drums, I realized that it was his whole life. Playing drums in a band, with his best friends, was what he had always wanted to do. And I didn't want to make him feel like he had to choose between playing and me. I wanted him to do what he wanted to. With or without me.

For the next few weeks I was trying to think of what to do. My life was really empty when Mike was away. I could've gone to visit my brother, but I bet he had been really busy with his wife and propably their baby was born already.

And that's really when I stopped and thought about my own life. Everyone else had something going on in their life. And I just sat there alone. My friends were chiefly Mike's friends, who were on tour with him. I hadn't seen my old friends in a while. Actually, it had been a year, maybe?

I picked up my phone and called my ex best friend, Ashley. She was the one who married Freddie, Sam's (my ex's) best friend.
”Hello?” She answered the phone.
”Ashley? It's Sophie,” I said, smiling slightly when I heard her voice.
”Oh, hi Sophie! What's up?” She asked, sounding excited.
”What are you up to today? Do you wanna go out?” I asked.
”I'm not busy, no. Do you want to go grab a lunch?” She asked. She promised to meet me at our favourite café at two.

That left me three hours of nothing to do. I decided to go shopping. I drove to the shopping mall and started spending money. I bought clothes and food. And just as I was about to leave, I saw a Babies ”R” Us. I walked into the store without thinking and saw the tiny clothes for the babies. And that's when I realized what was missing in my life. A baby. It could be my best friend and I would never get bored. I would be a good mom and Mike would be an amazing dad. I could spend all my time with the little girl or a boy. I would make the girl (I mean, I wasn't sure I was going to get a girl but I really wanted one) be a real princess. A cute, tiny, pink dress and those small, pink shoes that babies wear. I really had it all planned out, didn't I?

As I walked to my car I pulled out my phone and called Mike.
”Hey babe,” Mike answered, sounding groggy.
”Mike! I really, really want to have one thing,” I chirped with a smile.
”What? Can't it wait? I'm really fucking tired,” He mumbled into the phone.
”No! I haven't talked to you in days!” I whined. I heard him sigh.
”Well, what is it?” He asked, sounding as if he had forced himself to ask.
”I want to have a baby,” I told him. He was quiet for a while and all I could hear was his steady breathing.
”Sophie... This isn't something we can talk 'bout over the phone,” Mike told me.
”But I just realized that there's something missing in my life. And it's a baby, Mike!”
”Sophie... We'll talk about this when I get home,” He muttered with another sigh.
”When exactly is that?” I asked.
”Next week,” He said. ”I'll talk to you later. And stop thinking about the damn baby.”
”But I want it!” I whined before letting out a sigh.