What If I Can't Forget You?

Why would I let you go?

When everyone was ready, we made our way to Mike's parents house. I had always liked his mom, she was a sweetheart. And their dad was cool too, but he wasn't around much so I didn't see him often. When we were younger, Mike's mom always made sure I was alright. She made sure that Mike treated me right. Even though he was her son, she didn't want him to hurt me. I always thought it should be the other way. But Mike and Vic's family was amazing.

When we got there, Mike said something about his dad not being home. It was a shame, since I had been waiting to see the whole family. We walked to the front door and rang the doorbell. A few moments later their mother opened the door. At first, she looked at Vic and a smile appeared on her face. Then, she looked at Mike and she smiled even wider. And when she looked at me, the smile disappeard.
”Sophie?” She asked and narrowed her eyes. I nodded.
”It's been years!” She exclaimed and pulled me into a big hug. I could hear Mike's laugh. Their mom let us in and sat the three of us down into the same couch.
”So? What brings you here? I thought that, you know, you weren't together,” She said to Mike and me.
”We aren't,” I said quickly. Because, after all, I didn't know if we really were together. In my mind, we were a couple. We acted like one, too. But everything was just so confusing at that moment.
”Yeah, we are,” Mike said and took my hand. I looked down at our hands, and then up at Mike who was smiling. Well, I guess we were a couple.
”That's amazing, honey,” Their mother said with a wide smile.

We talked for a while, until she had to go somewhere. So we left, and drove home. On our way we went to a restaurant, since we were all hungry. We ordered food and then talked about stuff. They mostly talked about the upcoming tour, while I kept my mouth shut. They were really excited, and I didn't want to ruin their moment, because I wasn't happy. I didn't want them to go.
”Sophie? Aren't you going to eat at all?” I heard Vic's voice. I looked down at the table, and noticed that there was a plate and food. I hadn't even noticed.
”Oh, yeah,” I said and grabbed a fork. I started to eat, but I wasn't hungry anymore. I could only think about the fact, that Mike was going to be away for months. He was going to find a new girl and he was going to love her, not me.
”What's wrong? You look like you're about to cry,” Vic asked and seemed to be concerned.
”Nothing, I'm just tired,” I lied and kept eating. I felt Mike's hand on my thigh and I looked up at him smiling softly at me. I smiled back and finished eating.

When we got back home, I went straight into Mike's room and locked the door. I knew I couldn't keep locking myself into his room. I knew it wasn't what I wanted. But it broke my heart to think about the time without him. I loved him so much that I couldn't imagine him being with anyone else and away from me. I had been sobbing for a moment, until I heard someone knock on the door. I wiped the tears away from my cheeks and went to open the door. Mike was staring at me in the doorway.
”What's the fuck's up?” He asked.
”What do you mean?” I asked quietly.
”Why do you keep locking yourself here? And why were you just crying?” He asked.
”I wasn't crying...”
”Don't lie to me. I know you, I know when you've been crying.” He said and rolled his eyes.
”Fine. I don't want you to go away, but you have to. That's why I've been sad,” I said quietly. He sighed and went to sit down on his bed. I followed him and sat down next to him.
”It's not the end of the world, Sophie,” He said.
”Maybe not for you, but for me it is. You're going to find a new girlfriend soon, while I'm alone here,” I muttered and looked down at my lap.
”Why couldn't you find someone, too?” He asked.
”Because I don't want to. I want you.”
”Well I don't know what to do,” He said. And honestly, neither did I. I didn't believe that our relationship could work, if he was so far away.