Sequel: Betrayed
Status: Joint Story

Unholy Confessions

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

Breakfast was a silent affair. Neche and I were eating our cereal while Johnny scowled over the eggs his mother had made him. Our uncle was nibbling toast while reading the paper while Aunt Linda did the dishes.

“When’s the last time Johnny had a girlfriend?” Neche broke the silence. I giggled into my glass of orange juice and Johnny’s face turned beet bed. My aunt looked over at us with an amused look on her face.

“I’ll tell if you do,” Johnny hissed at my sister.

“Never mind,” she muttered into her coco puffs. Aunt Linda shrugged and turned back to the dishes. With a sigh, our uncle folded the paper and set it on the table. He checked his watched and looked at us expectantly.

“Yes?” Johnny finally asked.

“Shouldn’t you be getting to the bus?”

“I suppose so,” I stood up and grabbed all the empty plates off the table.

“You mean Jason and Matt aren’t picking you up this morning?” my aunt asked.

“I asked them not to,” Johnny grumbled.

“Are you kidding me,” my sister hissed back.

“What was that kids?”

“Nothing,” we all answered, eyes never leaving each other. Neche sighed angrily and stood to grab her backpack and I rested my head on the cold counter.

“You feeling alright, Mina?” my aunt asked, placing a comforting hand on my back.

“Yeah, just annoyed.”

“Let’s go Mina,” Johnny said, not unkindly.

I looked up at glared at him before following him to the front door. Neche handed me my back pack and we walked into the California heat. Five minutes later, we were standing at the bus stop.

“Hey Johnny!” a pretty girl with brown hair said, “Haven’t seen you on the bus in awhile.”

“Yeah, we’ve been getting a ride,” Johnny muttered.

“Who was that?” Neche asked as the girl turned back to her friends.

“Just some girl,” he blushed.

“Just some girl my ass, look at that blush.” I laughed.

The bus stopped in front of us and we waited for everyone else to get on before climbing the stairs. We found seats in the back and I found myself gagging almost instantly. Why did the bus have to smell so bad? It never smelled this bad in Syracuse, but then I remembered it was about forty degrees warmer here in Huntington Beach. I groaned and pulled my shirt up to cover my nose as I sunk into the seat.

“Aww, c’mon Mina,” it’s not that bad,” Johnny joked. I glared at him baefully out of the corner of my eyes before leaning my head against the window and pulling my headphones into my ears. I blasted the Blood Sugar Sex Magik cd and tried to shut out the world.

Closing my eyes, I replayed last night in my head. I hadn’t even cared that Jason, Matt and Neche had woken me up. Spending time with him was quickly becoming my favorite past time, and I found myself looking forward to first period, simply because I knew he would be there.

I felt a smile tug on my full lips and felt a tap on my shoulder. Pulling my headphones off, I opened my eyes to see Brian standing in the aisle, smiling at me.

“May I sit with you?”

I pulled my backpack into my lap and moved over. He sat next to me and gave me a smirk.

“Don’t you have a car?”

He shrugged, “Got grounded. Berrys couldn’t pick me up this morning, for whatever reason.”

I nodded, “That’s why we’re riding the bus.”

Neche was sitting in the seat across from me with Zacky, her sour mood had taken a complete 180 for the better. Johnny was in the seat in front of me, talking to the pretty brunette from before.

“Actually,” I said, “Johnny asked the Berry’s not to pick us up this morning.”

Brian’s lips turned down in a slight frown, “Hmm. Because they like you?”
I nodded and rolled my eyes and Brian laughed in delight.

“Good. Maybe I can win you over yet.”

“I’m not a prize to be won,” I said, slightly amused.

He laughed again and nodded, “We’ll see. I think I have a lot more to offer, honestly.”

“And why do you say that?” I was starting to get annoyed.

“Well, I’m going to be famous one day,” he started. I couldn’t help but snort in laugh. He got defensive very quickly, “Why is that funny?”

“That doesn’t make you a better catch… say you do get famous once day. Would you cheat on your girlfriend if some of the hottest girls you’ve ever seen threw themselves at you?”

His cheeks reddened, and I could tell that my point was exactly what he was hoping would happen. I rolled my eyes, “I don’t think Jason would do that.”

“Oh yeah? Did you ask Jason why his last relationship ended?”

“No,” I scoffed, “Why… should I?”

Brian shrugged, “I would.”

“How do I know that this isn’t just a ploy to get me to like you more?”

He shrugged again, “Maybe you should just ask him. Since you think he’d never cheat and all.”

Emphasis on the word cheat. I looked out the window, not really feeling like talking to Brian at the moment and put my head phones back in. Guess I had some things to talk to Jason about.