Have Faith in Me

Did I do something?

I cursed under my breath as I dug around my camera bag for my backstage pass. I had spent the last three hours trying to find a camera shop and was now running late. The concert was about to start and I had just gotten to the venue.

“Excuse me, but only people with a pass can get back here,” a security guard said as he stopped me from passing through.

“I am allowed, I just forgot my pass,” I tried to explain.

“Yeah, you and every other person.”

“But I’m Avenged Sevenfold’ photographer! I have to be back here!”

“Tell that to their other ‘photographers.’” He nodded his shaved head to the line of people with professional cameras in their hands.

“Hey! You!” a female voice called. I looked over the security guard’s shoulder and saw Lzzy Hale from Halestorm headed towards me. She looked up at the security guard. “She’s with me,” she told him. He looked at her then at me before stepping back to let me through.

“Thanks so much,” I breathed as I followed her to the stage.

“No problem. You’re Avenged’s photographer, right?” she dismissed. I nodded. “Figured. Saw you with Matt and the other guys yesterday.” She tossed me a glance. “Something going on between you and Shadows?”

“Uh, no, why?” She raised an eyebrow.

“It looked like there was from the way he kept looking at you. It looked like he was checking you out or something.” A furious blush covered my face.

“It’s strictly business.”

“Yeah, well, we’ll see about that. I’d better get going. My band’s up first.”

“Good luck!” I called as she veered to the right. I wound my way around backstage as I looked around for any of the guys. “Matt!” I yelled when I spotted the familiar singer.

“There you are!” he exclaimed as he walked over to me. He pulled me into a quick, unexpected hug. “The guys and I were about to start looking for you if you didn’t turn up soon.”

“Sorry. It had taken longer than I thought to find a camera shop not to mention Lzzy had to get me back here because I left my pass on the bus,” I hurriedly explained. “Hold this.” I shoved my camera bag into his hands. He watched as I changed the lens on my camera.

“You disappeared for three hours for a lens?” I tossed him a quick glare as I took back my bag.

“Yes. Do you want me struggling with the camera the entire time or would you rather have me get good shots?” I put a hand on my hip and held my camera with the lens pointing upwards in the other.

“I’d rather have you get good shots.” He scrambled after me as I started walking. “By the way, you’re not acting as shy anymore,” he added. I stopped and turned on my heel to face him. Matt grinned, his adorable dimples appearing. “What? It’s true.” He tried to feign innocence. I tossed him another glare before I continued walking. “Someone’s getting a little sassy.” I rolled my eyes but I couldn’t help but smile a little.

“When you rag on me about my camera, you will get sass.” I saw the rest of the guys and stopped in front of them. “Hey, guys,” I greeted.

“There’s our missing girl!” Johnny exclaimed.

“Two days with you guys and I’m already your guys’ girl?” I said with a small laugh.

“Well, you are going to be touring with us. Might as well make you feel part of the family sooner than later, am I right?” Brian reasoned. I nodded. I took a seat on an unused amp as the rest of the guys did what they told me were their usual pre-show routines. Matt was singing under his breath and drinking often from a bottle of water. Zacky and Brian were moving their hands in the air as if they were actually playing. Johnny and Mike were screwing around and doing actual exercise warm-ups. Laughing a little, I snapped a picture of them doing what they did.

“Gonna be out there singing along?” Matt inquired as he came over. I shrugged.

“If I am, I doubt you’d be able to hear me,” I replied.

“Well I can try to pick out your voice?”

“Good luck with that considering you’ve never heard me sing and you will never hear me sing.” He raised an eyebrow, his hazel eyes inquiring.

“Why’s that?” He cocked his head to the side, looking even more adorable if possible.

“I’ve never let anyone hear me sing after a certain… event.” I looked away, hoping he didn’t notice my hesitance. I felt his gaze on me and I looked at Johnny and Mike, determined not to make eye contact with those hazel eyes. I knew I’d give in the moment I looked at them. An hour and a half later, the boys of Avenged lined up to head out on stage. “Good luck!” I chimed. They all flashed me a smile before they started to head out. I let out a deep breath as I jumped down and headed to find a good spot.

Matt’s POV:
It was after the show and the guys for some reason wanted to go get something to eat. I opted to head back to the bus when I saw Rachel had headed back after the show.

I was determined to get to know her. Something about her had caught my attention right from the start.

I glanced up at the windows as I neared the bus. I saw Rachel moving around, doing who knows what. I opened the bus door as quietly as I could. I slipped the aviators off my face and held them in my hands. I stopped on the last step when I heard an unfamiliar voice singing. It took me a moment to register that it was Rachel singing.

I said I’d never let you go and I never did
I said I’d never let you fall and I always meant it
If you didn’t have the chance then I never did
You’ll always find me right there, again


“You have a great voice,” I complimented. Rachel froze in mid spin and turned to look at me, her eyes wide. I saw the tears sitting on the edge, waiting to be let out. She paused the song and ran to the bunks. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I hadn’t done anything, had I?