The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

One Last Caress

Months later...

The school year was almost over. The only big events left were prom and graduation.

You're probably wondering how things went between then and now. Zacky had stayed with me the rest of that week. After that, things pretty much returned to normal.

I went back to work and went on with that as usual (not getting caught by the way). The guys' band was starting to sound better. They had played a few shows which really didn't go very well. But, they kept on playing. I really admired them for that.

The best news, though, is that Zacky and I are still together. So far, things have been pretty calm. Even through all this time, I still had the irking feeling that something terrible was around the corner.

"Hey babe. You're going to the prom with me, right?" Zacky asked me as I was getting books out of my locker.

"Yeah, but I didn't think that was your kind of thing."

"Well, you thought wrong gorgeous."

"Are the others going?"

"I think so. Matt's taking Casey and the others are finding dates."

Prom might actually be fun this year.

Prom night...
Casey and I were just finishing our make-up when the doorbell rang. Forgetting I was wearing heels, I ran to answer is and almost broke my ankle. I'm not really used to heels.

I opened the door and smiled at Zacky and Matt who were both wearing tuxes. I'm definitely not used to seeing this.

"Well, don't you two just look handsome," I teased in my best southern accent.

"Shut up Raven. Where's Casey?" asked Matt eagerly.

"Right here," Casey announced, raising her arms dramatically to add effect. I rolled my eyes.

Zacky pulled me into a hug and kissed me lightly. "Ready?" he asked. I nodded.

When we arrived, we walked into the gym where it was being held and ran into Brian and his date, whose name is Liz.

We were soon joined by Johnny and his date, Sara, and a few minutes later by Jimmy and Meg.

We all danced and goofed around (as usual) until the crowning ceremony. We hung out at the punch table while it took place.

Before the announcer could begin, the gym doors were flung open. A gunshot rang throughout the room, making people scream.

"Nobody move," the man who had fired the gun ordered. He had greasy, shoulder-length hair and was wearing a black trench coat.

"I'm looking for Raven."

I gulped. I had to do something. I looked at where he was standing and saw he was slightly in front of the end of the punch table. This gave me an idea. It was risky though.

I pulled off my heels to reduce the sound I made.

"Cover me," I whispered to Zacky. He nodded very slightly.

I got on my hands and knees behind him and slipped under the table.

"Not coming out, eh? Well, then I guess I'll just have to have some fun killing your classmates."

I held my breath as I crawled to the end of the table, waiting for the worst. There was another gunshot and more screams. I crawled faster.

When I got to the end, I quietly crawled out. Luckily, all the screaming covered any sound I made. I crept up behind the man, just waiting for him to turn around. He never did.

I lunged at him and got him into a headlock. I immediately removed the gun from his hand and hit him in the head with it, knocking him unconscious.

Zacky and the others rushed over to me. "Someone call the cops," I gasped. Casey pulled out her phone and dialed 911.

I looked at the gun and pulled out the bullets. I hesitated before looking down at them; not wanting to see what I knew was there. When I did, I saw the symbol that had been haunting my dreams.

The cops questioned me about what happened. I told them what I saw. Then, they moved on to question others. It turned out no one was hurt in the shooting. Just shocked beyond all reason.

Zacky handed me my shoes and I thanked him quietly. We both walked outside, neither of us speaking.

"Well, I guess I have to keep my promise," Zacky finally said. I could tell he was trying to keep the pain out of his voice.

I nodded as tears slid down my cheeks. This wasn't fair to either of us, but it had to be done. That last scene was too close for comfort.

I placed my head on his shoulder as he pulled me into a tight embrace.

"I'm going to miss you Raven."

"I'll miss you too," I said through my sobs.

We kissed one last time before Zacky left me alone in the pulsing lights of the cop cars.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well there you go. I decided since I hadn't updated in a while I'll give you two in one day!

My legs hurt from practice so you should comment and make me feel better...

M. Vengeance