Status: Finished. <3

And We're Nothing Short of Invincible

fourteen

The next day, we were on a flight home.

“What do you think they are going to say about us getting married?” Caleb asked.

I shrugged, “I assume they will be happy. I mean, my parents love you, and your parents love me.”

“Yeah….” He trailed off.

“Something wrong?” I asked.

“Dad loves you and my mom will come around.”

“What? I thought she loved me to pieces. I mean, she’s my mom’s friend and everything. They are the reason we met.”

“I know, but it was more of my dad pestering her to let me meet you. She thinks that because you’re not on your way to becoming something awesome, that we won’t make it.”

“Well, gee, thanks for telling me this a year and a few months later. Why is she always nice to me though?”

He shrugged, “that’s my mom for you. Sweet as pie to your face, and a bitch behind your back.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this before now?”

“I was afraid of scaring you off.”

“Well, you sure managed to piss me off because you didn’t tell me. I can handle your mother; I can’t handle you not telling me things.”

“Baylee, I’m sorry.”

I took a deep breath, and counted to five, “It’s fine Caleb, but if we’re getting married, no secrets, okay?”

He smiled, “Okay.”

Now that he dropped that bomb on me, maybe I will be okay with his mom since I know she doesn’t like me. It might be hard to keep my mouth shut around her now though.

We finally landed on the ground, got our luggage, and made our way home. Our parents were waiting on the porch of my parent’s house.

“How was the trip? Are you staying here?” Mom asked, as we climbed out of the taxi. We pulled our suitcases out, paid the guy, and then I turned to her to answer.

“It was amazing, and yes, I’m staying, oh, and we’re getting married.”

It got all quiet between the parents. Mom picked up my hand.

“Lord, that’s prettier than your promise ring.”

I smiled, “I know.”

“Well, I speak for both of us, welcome to the family Baylee,” Ryan, Caleb’s dad, said.

“Thanks, Mr. Anderson.”

“You can call me Ryan now.”

They’re so proper for some reason. His mom didn’t look too pleased, and my dad looked sad.

“My baby is all grown up,” he cried, wrapping me in a hug.

“Oh daddy, you know I’m always going to be your little girl.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

They helped us take our luggage up to the apartment, and we joined them for dinner.