Status: Finished. <3

And We're Nothing Short of Invincible

twenty-two

Later on that morning, Caleb went to work, and I pulled out some boxes from my parent’s attic. I was going to start getting things ready, like things I didn’t wear or need. I figured it would help out with all the clutter and shit we’re going to have when we do move.

I was about four hours into my cleaning when my phone rang. I pulled it out of my back pocket and looked at the screen.

Mom<3

I raised an eyebrow, she was at work.

“Hello?”

“Baylee?” I could hear sniffling on the other end of the phone. I dropped everything I was holding.

“What’s wrong mom?”

She sighed, “The shop….it’s gone.”

“What do you mean it’s gone?”

“It burnt Baylee. The whole building burned down. Our store, the doll store, the restaurant, it all burnt.”

I felt the air get caught in my throat. I couldn’t even grasp what she was telling me.

“I’ll be down there soon mama. Just let me get dressed, and I will be there.”

“Alright honey, be careful. There are cops and firefighters everywhere. Just let them know who you are.”

I hit the end button, and immediately went to find some clothes. I jumped in the shower, and got out as fast as I could. Fastest shower ever for me, I’d say. After I got out and put my clothes on, I ran a brush through my hair before throwing it in a pony tail. I slipped on some shoes, and grabbed my things before I jogged out to my car.

My stomach was in knots as thought about how devastated my mom probably felt right now. She had put her life savings into that place, and I grew up there. Almost every day after school, Crystal and I would end up there. We’d help my mom, even though we really weren’t supposed to do that just yet. Peacock Alley was the place to be at that time. When Crystal and I turned sixteen, we both started working at the bookstore. We would spend hours just getting lost in books, even if we were working. I have some really good memories there, and I guess that’s all they will be now.

The usual ten minute drive turned into thirty minutes because of all the traffic. I bit my lip as I parked down the road, and got out of the car. I walked as fast as I could to where the shops use to be….it was completely gutted. My heart sank into my stomach.

“Miss, you can’t be here,” a man in a police officer uniform said.

“Oh, uh, my mom owns the book store….she’s right over there I think,” I replied.

He sighed, “Okay, come on.” He helped me over the police tape, and I ran over to my mom.

“Baylee,” was all she got out before she wrapped her arms around me and started sobbing into my shoulder.

My heart was breaking into pieces for her. I haven’t ever seen my mom act like her whole world is crashing down.

I stood there for a minute before I said anything, “Do they know what caused it?”

She shook her head no and cleared her throat, “They have to do an investigation first, I think.”

“Oh.”

“I don’t know what I’m gonna do Baylee. This place was our life.”

“Does daddy know?”

“Yeah, I called him already.”

“What happened?”

“I’m not sure. I was getting ready to open, and the fire alarm started to go off. Everything went up in flames before the firefighters could get here. It was so bad, and since this building is so old, we don’t have the sprinkler system.”

I sighed, “I texted Caleb. He’s been in a meeting, so maybe he will text me back soon.”

“Okay.”

Ugh, I can see this is tearing her apart.

“We will get through this mom.”

“I know. We always get through hard shit.”

I sort of giggled at how she said shit. She usually doesn’t cuss.

“I love you mom.”

“I love you, too, Baylee.”

We stood there for moment, quiet, just looking at our surroundings.

My phone started blaring in my pocket, and I pulled it out, glancing at the screen before answering.

“I can’t talk right now.”

“Why not? Isn’t Caleb at work?”

“My mom’s store burnt down. I’ll call you later.”

I hung up on Zacky.

Mom turned to me, “Why don’t you go on home and finish sorting some of your stuff. Your dad will be here soon, and then we will be home shortly.”

I sighed, “Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, I’ll see you guys in a bit. Be careful.”

“Always.”

After giving her a hug, I walked back down the road to my car. As soon as I got in, I turned the radio on, and headed back to the apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Peacock Alley is a real place, it's just in my town I really live in, and not Chattanooga. It really did burn down a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure what caused it.

Comments, suggestions?