Status: Finished. <3

And We're Nothing Short of Invincible

twenty-three

Caleb still hadn’t called me back, so I called Zacky so I could apologize for hanging up on him. I swear, I think this is my entire fault.

I took a breath as I found his name, and the phone started dialing his number. He picked up on the second ring.

“Hey, glad you could call me back,” he said, and sort of laughed.

“Hi, yeah, sorry about that earlier. The whole building burnt down, and they have no idea why.”

“I’m so sorry BB. What is your mom going to do?”

“I’m not sure just yet. Zacky, I feel so bad. I feel like this is my fault.”

“What? Why?”

“I don’t think it would have happened if we weren’t messing around on the people we supposedly love. I think we need to end this.”

I sat down on the couch, and leaned my head back.

“Baylee, please stop flipping back and forth. That is crazy for you to think that it’s your fault.”

“No, it’s not. It’s karma.”

Zacky sighed, “I’m packing a bag, and I’ll be there by tonight. I had planned to surprise you with a visit anyway this month. Just please relax, and clear your mind.”

“Zacky…you can’t come out here. They will find out.”

“No, I have it all worked out. Gena is on vacation with the girls anyway.”

“Oh yeah….I forgot.”

“I’ll see you soon.”

This time Zacky was the one who hung up on me.

I pulled my hair out of the pony tail, and ran my fingers through my hair. I got up from the couch, and started sorting again. I had crap everywhere. Clothes neither of us wore, shoes, appliances….ugh, it’s going to be a long month.

An hour later, I had talked to Caleb and my parents. My parents had decided to go visit some of the other people who had shops in the building to discuss things. Caleb would be home soon, he said anyway. I am extremely nervous about Zacky flying out here. I was happy to be able to see him, but I still think we need to end it. I….I’m falling in love with him, I believe, and I just don’t know what to do. This fire happened at an ironic time.

I worked for a few more hours before I finally sat down and had something to eat. I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and started to watch Netflix before I heard the door open.

“Baylee, I’m home.”

I rolled my eyes at his obviousness, but got up from my seat.

“I’m glad your home,” I said, hugging him tightly.

“How is everything?”

“Mom is devastated. None of us can believe anything like this could happen.”

“Do they know what caused it?”

I shook my head, “No, they have to investigate it before they know for sure.”

Caleb glanced around the apartment, “Holy shit, did our apartment throw up all of our stuff?”

I gave a nervous laugh, “No, I’m just sorting through things.”

He raised an eyebrow, “Well, since your mom’s shop is gone, I guess I’m the only one with a real job. I hope our house isn’t this messy when we get it.”

I was silent.

“Please clean some of this shit up and then come to bed. I’m going to take a shower. I really don’t understand how you made such a mess.”

As he walked away to the bathroom, I muttered jerk under my breath before I cleaned some stuff up.

While Caleb was taking a shower, Zacky texted me. God, it really didn’t take him long to get here at all. All it said was the name of the hotel and what room he was in for now. He said to come whenever I get ready. I didn’t text him back at all. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to go or not.

“Baylee, we have got to get rid of some of this shit,” Caleb said as he looked around when he came out of the bathroom.

“Yeah, I know which is why I’m sorting all of this stuff.”

“Sure fooled me.”

“What?”

“It looks like one of those hoarder shows in here.”

“Half of this shit is yours. Need I remind you that you’re the one who moved in with me.”

“Well, since you’re out of a job now, which I don’t see how it was job anyway; you can get this crap done.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me.”

“You are so insensitive. My mother’s shop burned down today, and you’re acting like this? I’m sorry I’m not some big shot fucking lawyer like you. You aren’t even that high up in the firm. Your dad helped you, so you have no room to talk.”

“No, you’re not a big shot lawyer. You’re a lazy bitch that sits around and eats all the damn time.”

He got a shot look on his face and shut his mouth.

I just stood there shocked for a minute before I started grabbing my stuff, and making my way toward the door.

“Baylee, wait, I didn’t mean that. I’m sorry!” he exclaimed, grabbing my arm.

I bit my lip to keep from crying, “No, you’re not. You obviously think that about me or it wouldn’t have been said when you were angry. Let me go. I won’t be back home tonight.”

He wouldn’t let me go until I gave him the meanest glare I could muster, and then he watched me walk out the door and down to my car.

My next destination: Zacky’s hotel room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I was going to post last night, and it totally slipped my mind.

Thank you to everyone who has commented and continues to comment.
I appreciate it very much.
:]