‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 18

We landed on the outskirts of the town, gliding into a forest.

It wasn’t ideal but it’d have to do.

“I’ll do it.” Was all I had to say. He was in pain and I knew it too.

I know what it’s like to get shot. I knew better then to question why he got shot and how, but he wasn’t doing a great job of hiding the dripping blood from me.

“I’m fine.” He said, but weakly.

“If you were fine, we’d still be flying.” I said, as he opened his mouth to start a sentence but stopped.

I had the sudden feelings to just run when I slipped off his shirt, revealing the blood wound all the way to his kidney.

I had to stop the shaking in my hands, before I got the needle and thread out of his pocket.

Leaning over, I kissed his forehead before plunging my hand deep into the open wound.

Carefully, I searched around for the bullet, which I found luckily not in the actual organ.

Slowly, I took it out. I must have been getting better from this because I no longer felt light headed.

Next, I got the needle and thread and steadily stitched up his wound. I looked up to see him clenching his teeth.

I could tell he was tired.

“You can sleep.” I said softly. He was going to object, and I knew he was.

But everyone gets tired.

He laid his head in my lap and fell asleep.

I studied the soft breaths he took. How peaceful he looked, when he got away from life’s troubles.

I couldn’t let him be stressed out. It wasn’t healthy or safe for either of us.

I needed to let him be a teenage boy again.

I laid my head against the tree branch and nodded off.

What seemed like minutes later, I felt movement on my lap.

Opening my eyes, I say Aaron yawning, and looking up at me.

“Hey there, sleepy head.” I grinned.

“If I recall, you were the one who was just sleeping.” He stated, sitting up, and kissing me on the head.

“Oh what ever.” I laughed.

“I have a present for you.” I smiled.

“Oh really?” He asked, with a hint of surprise in his voice.

“Yep.” I nodded.

“For the next week, we are safe from the FBI. This means…you’re going to be a average teenage boy.” I smiled.

A steady grin seemed to creep up on Aaron’s face.

This is was he wanted.

This is what we both wanted.