‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 8

I dreaded each step as I got closer and closer to the airport.

Washington National Airport.

My vines were hidden, even though now I have a permanent crowd on vines on my hair. It’s pretty though.

My crystal eyes have never been as green, now that I’m finally looking into a mirror. Even if it is just a car door mirror.

My long black hair is now silky and down to my waist. I prefer a little shorter, but I can’t change much.

Not now anyway.

My hands were shaking as I went up to the front desk. I don’t want any one to know me.

“One ticket to the town of Fort Greely please.” I said, looking down at my hands.

“Okay Ma’am. Do you have any baggage?” The lady asked, in a monotone. I glanced up at her, memorizing her face.

It had several wrinkles, with fried curly black hair. Her eyes were dark with curiosity but worn.

Very worn.

“No.” I said, softly, trying to hide my nerves. Once I glanced up, I could see her searching me with her eyes.

Fear shot through me, but I stood my ground. I played my poker face.

I’ve learned how to not show it with my dad.

“Can I get you’re name?”

“Ava Clark.” I said. I didn’t know why I was lying. They couldn’t know me all the way in Washington. I’ve crossed half the USA.

Just to get away from my name.

Just to get away from myself.

“I.D please?” She said. I was prepared.

I slipped Ava’s I.D card out of my pocket. The picture was taken when she was having a hair-dying phase.

This came to my advantage.

We nearly looked like twins.

“Okay ma’am. That’ll be $145.” She said, as I handed her the little cash I had left.

She handed me the small ticket that would get me to Aaron. I could see Aaron.

My throat burned at the thought of him.

"What's that?" I asked yawning.

"Some root in a pot," He said bluntly.

"What kind?" I asked.

"No clue," He answered as I just stared at him.

"Could we get poisoned?" I asked quietly.

"Sure," He said focusing on cooking.


A smile rose to my lips as I shook my head. Passing through security was by far the hardest thing to do.

My heart seemed to shake from it’s own heart attack.

I passed through though. Baby steps.

I walked passed the various star bucks and bookstands walking to my concourse.

As I took a seat by a mother and her baby, I sighed. The baby had it made.

A mother.

A life.

As they called my section to board the plane, I got up. Step by step, I reached the entrance for the plane.

I reached the man who scans your ticket, he took mine. He looked up at me as his eyes widened.

“Please step to the side, miss.” He said.

“Um…is there a problem?” I asked, taking a step back. “Ma’am…get against the wall.” He said, mumbling something into his walki-talki.

About a dozen cops came running toward me. He knows me.

One of the cops grabbed my arms, causing the baby to start crying and people to stare.

“Get off me!” I screamed, playing innocent.

“Willow, you’re in good hands.” He began as I screamed, yanking away from him.

The cops surrounded me as my vines began to heat up. They wrapped around one nearly strangling him.

Before I knew what I was doing, I threw him against the wall.

I’m a killer.

My face heated up before I sprinted out. The walls passed me as a blur, as the cops failed to catch me.

I ran outside until I reached the ocean.

What was I doing here…

Guess I have to find a boat men to bring me there.

Forced or not, I need to get there.

I need to get me there soon.