Status: Hiatus. I'm going to take a step back and work on the story. I think I posted it a little too quickly. I'll be updating when I can. Don't give up on it. (;

Ella Claire

Distracted

Daniel’s back and legs were tired. Ella had been seated on his back for over three hours now. He took her from his shoulders and placed her on the ground, making certain to hold her hand tightly. She didn’t seem to be bothered by this; she was more interested in the lights hitting the back of the arena.
Ella didn’t pay attention to the rest of the show even when “Save Me” began and black balloons fell from the ceiling.
“Are you going to grab a balloon, sweetheart?” Daniel asked his daughter.
She didn’t reply. Ella kept staring straight at the back of the venue, slightly toward the ceiling. He saved her a balloon, anyway. He knew she’d want some memory of this concert even if they were about to get into some trouble. That was the part he hoped she would be too tired to remember, but if he knew his daughter well, he knew she would remember every aspect of the concert and tell him over and over every single thing that happened. She did it with every concert that they attended.
As the last song ended, Ella’s curls whipped around her face as she snapped her head from the back of the arena right to the drum set Arin Ilejay had been playing. The show lights went black and the venue’s lights warmed back up to allow everyone to find their way out.
The security guard from before hit Daniel’s arm lightly with the back of his hand, “Follow me again, man.”
“Be sure to hold on to my hand and stay close, Ella,” Daniel said to his daughter.
She nodded, understanding, and squeezed his index finger tightly.
The guard glanced over his shoulder as he led them backstage, “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble or anything.”
They walked up a set of stairs and down the other side. Finally they reached an open area behind the stage.
“Wait here. I’m going to tell Matt I got you.”
Daniel stood, feeling awkward to say the least, as people rushed around, catering to the bands. Roadies were hurriedly loading up instruments, amplifiers, and monitors. Ella waited patiently by his side. She watched Matt Tuck pace back and forth while talking on his cell phone. The singer felt her eyes on him, and he turned to look back at the girl. She waved to him shyly and moved closer to her father, half of her little body hidden behind his leg.
“Hold on,” the Welsh man said into the phone and slid it into his jeans pocket.
Matt walked over to them. His attention was focused on the small child with the platinum hair.
“Hey, small fry. My name’s Matt Tuck. Who are you?” he bent at the waist.
It was immediately apparent that Ella was intimidated by the man. “Ella,” she said quietly.
“Your name’s what?”
Daniel urged her daughter to step around his leg and toward the man, “He can’t hear you, sweetheart. Speak up. Tell him who you are.”
Ella moved toward Matt Tuck and stood a little straighter, “I’m Ella Claire Romans, and I’m an atheist.”
“Oh, you are?” Matt said with a surprised look.
Daniel pinched the bridge of his nose, grinning slightly. “She’s . . she’s not,” he laughed quietly.
Matt just smiled, shook his head, and went back to his phone call.
A man with a dark ponytail walked up to Daniel and Ella. “Bobby told me to come and get you two. Come with me, I’ve got someone for you to meet. I’m Matt Berry, by the way. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
“Daniel Romans,” he shook Matt Berry’s hand, “same here.”
Matt led them through some hallways and to a room somewhere deep in the venue.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to make it a little longer this time, but now I don't have a lot to post for the next chapter; so it might be a bit before I can get an update to you. You understand, though, right? We're all writers. (;

Special thanks to OurFinalFlight and Tweek Tweekers for commenting and to my three new subscribers (That makes twelve! ::crazy:) and to all you new readers (returning readers and subscribers, as well)!

Let me know what you all think!