‹ Prequel: Change
Status: Active

Here We Go Again

twelve

I was stirred awake by a muffled noise. I moved my head a bit to get back into a comfortable position, and let out a long breath of air. I was drifting back off into sleep when I felt something brushing against my cheek. I found my lips turning up as I felt fingers gently comb through my hair. They stopped just below my ear, and I leaned into them a bit in response.

"Ronnie," I heard a voice say. I rolled over onto my back, and the hand retreated. I slowly opened my eyes, and was startled as I met Taylor's bright blue ones.

I stared at him for a moment. I blinked a few times, and my breath caught in my throat. Flashbacks of memories hit me like bricks as I realized that I had felt, for a moment, as if we were still together. My stomach refused to settle down.

"You fell asleep on the couch," Taylor said quietly, and I snapped out of my thoughts. I sat up slowly and groggily, and Taylor stood up straight.

"What time is it?" I mumbled.

"4:00 am." Taylor paused. "Go into my room and go back to sleep."

I sighed and shook my head. "No. It's fine... You should have left me," I replied, falling back against the couch.

"Veronica."

I looked up at Taylor and he held my gaze before motioning towards the bedroom. I groaned and stood up with another sigh.

I nearly jumped when Taylor's hand landed on the small of my back. He was hardly touching me, as though he was afraid he'd scare me away. He gently guided me to the room, and when we reached the door, I turned to face him.

"Thanks."

Taylor nodded. We stared at one another in the dim light, and my heart skipped a beat when his eyes drifted down to my lips. Mine did the same to his for a split second before I gently stepped back, turned, and shut the door.

***

"So the directions are set in the GPS," Taylor informed me, and I nodded, even though he couldn't see me over the phone. "It's really simple, I promise."

I sighed. "I'll figure it out. I'll be there."

"See you then."

I hung up and looked over at the keys on the table by the door. I inhaled and then exhaled a noisy breath of air before standing up. I needed to shower, do my hair, and get dressed for my first ever NHL game.

Taylor had left his car for me so that I could drive to the rink for the game, and not have to go two hours early and sit by myself. I was kind of nervous driving in Edmonton on my own, but Taylor had insisted that the arena wasn't very far from the apartment.

I couldn't deny that I was excited. I had never been to an NHL game before; I had only ever watched on tv with my parents. I smiled at the thought of the new experience and headed into the bathroom.

***

I cheered along with the rest of the crowd as Jordan scored to make it 4-2 for the Oilers. I watched with a smile as the five men on the ice, including Taylor, congratulated their teammate.

I had to say, I was glad Taylor had convinced me to go to the game. The atmosphere was incredible. He had asked if I preferred sitting on my own or in the wives and girlfriends' box. It had been a slightly awkward topic, and he had resolved the problem by putting me closer to the bench so that I could at least be near him 'and Jordan' - as Taylor had quickly added.

And so there I sat, three rows behind the bench, eating popcorn and smiling at the kids dancing on the Jumbotron. When the third period started, I should have prepared myself.

About seven minutes into the final frame, I watched in horror as Taylor went down. I had been cringing when people hit him all night, though Jordan had explained to me that Taylor was a target for other teams. But this was completely different. Taylor tripped and fell, and before anyone knew what was happening, another Oilers' had stepped on Taylor's forehead... With his skate.

My hand flew to my mouth, and I felt my stomach turn. I could have sworn I was going to throw up. I watched as Taylor was helped back to the bench. The look of pain on his face nearly broke me.

***

I paced back and forth in the apartment, glancing at the clock every other second. It was one in the morning, and Taylor and Jordan still weren't back. I had received one text from Taylor telling me he was okay and that if was best for me to meet him back at the apartment. I had debated waiting for him outside the arena - or breaking down the barred door that led to the locker rooms - but despite my hysterics, I managed to calm myself down enough to realize I could do nothing from the arena.

My head snapped up as I heard the doorknob being turned. Jordan walked in first, holding the door as Taylor followed in behind him. I rushed over to him.

Jordan quickly excused himself, but I hardly noticed. Without warning, without thinking about what I was doing, my hands lifted to Taylor's forehead. I gently brushed back his hair with one hand, using the other to look at the cut.

"It's okay," he insisted, but I ignored him, motioning for him to sit down on the couch. He obliged, sitting on the arm of the couch, and I took a better look. 30 stitches. My stomach turned.

My fingers gently traced the side of his face, and I bit my lip as I analyzed the cut. I felt Taylor's eyes on me, but I refused to look down. I suddenly realized how close we were, and took a ginger step back. I looked down at the floor, my mind spinning.

"I'm - um... I'm glad you're okay," I managed to say quietly.

Taylor stood up. He hesitated before taking a cautious step towards me. "Ronnie..." His voice was quiet, sultry and almost desperate. I closed my eyes as he neared me. For one second, I almost let us touch. For one second, we were closer than we had been in months. His body was almost pressed against mine. His scent filled the air around me and his presence so near to me made me almost dizzy.

I held up my hands. I shook my head and almost stumbled backwards. I didn't look at him, or say a word as I hurried to the bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
all of you who commented last chapter are lovely <333 thank you all for reading!!!

note: i know Taylor got injured in practice haha. i just tweaked it a bit :)