Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

The Weekend.

[Jack’s P.O.V.]

I’m so glad I caught Stella before she sat down. She seemed so happy today, all day, and I wasn’t about to let that skanky fatass ruin it.

We sat down in the back of the room where there were empty seats.

“You better pay attention today.” I whispered to her.

“The only way I won’t is if you distract me.”

I elbowed her.

“Like that! Don’t do that!”

She pushed my shoulder.

Mrs. Price started teaching and everything was all good, but I noticed every once in a while that Grace would glance back. And she was looking at me.

*What the hell? Why is she trying to bring Stella down?*

The bell rang and Mrs. Price yelled, “No class all next week! Just be back for your final!”

“Yay!,” I said, bouncing up and down.

“I know, right? Free period!”

We walked out of the classroom.

“Oh, duh! What are you doing this weekend?”

She turned, looking at me, thinking.

“Welllll, umm, eating, sleeping, watching TV. I’m totally booked.” She was being so sarcastic.

“Well, I’m not letting you waste away your last weekends of high school. There’s gonna be a bumpin party at Tyler Jackson’s house.”

She shook her head, no.

*Damn, she’s stubborn.*

She turned and started walking toward her locker.

“Stella, come on!” I whined. “He lives like a block away from you. If you don’t enjoy it, you can just turn around and walk home.”

Her head feel down after she opened her locker. Then she mumbled something.

“What was that?” I asked, walking to the other side of her locker. I wanted to be able to see her face. “Pleeeeeeeeaaaaseeeee. I’ll give you a ride home.”

Her mouth turned up into a smile. “You already are, Jack.”

“Crap.” I said to myself, but so she could hear. “Please please pleaeeeeeeaaaaaseeeeeeee.” I sang loudly. People were starting to look at us.

“Dammit, Jack, ok! Just…stop being so loud.” She shut her locker.

“Aww, shit! It’s about to go down!” I jumped up and down as she walked away.

[Stella’s P.O.V.]

Kara got my number from Jack and we talked for a long time Friday afternoon.

“Now, tell me the truth. How did you become such good friends with Jack?”

I sighed. “Have you heard about Ryan Ward and Grace Williams?”

“Oh yeah. That’s such a weird couple. There’s something about Grace…augh.”

I halfway laughed to myself.

“Wait, aren’t you friends with her?” Kara asked, confused.

I nodded my head like she could see me. “We WERE or something like that. And Ryan…I had the HUGEST crush on him…and he flirted with me all the time. Back in March, Grace told me they were dating.”

“Are you serious right now?” She asked, defensively.

“Yeah…but here’s the part where Jack comes in.”

She listened intently.

“I’d met him way early in the month and he invited me to the party at Alex’s house. But everything after that is a blur. After Grace told me about…that shit…I just floated around like a blob. But one day after school, everything had really caught up to me. And my stupid, janky car didn’t start that day, either.” Kara laughed. “But I was in my car, freaking out cause it wasn’t starting and I saw Ryan coming towards my car. I was totally about to bail…but Jack came up and hugged me. And ever since then, I’ve just trusted him completely. And I don’t even know why.”

“Wow,” Kara sighed, “Sounds like an amazing love story.”

I laughed out loud at that.

“Whatever. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time, like I said earlier.”

*She was talking crazy stuff.*

“Yeah, yeah. Hey, can you hold on a second? Rian’s calling.”

“Yeah. Go ahead.”

I held for about 5 minutes.

“Ok, I’m back. He was just telling me about band practice tonight. Hey! You wanna come with me? Please say yes!”

Kara cracked me up.

“Ok! I’ll come.”

“Awesome! They LOVE having an audience…and I don’t have to hear their nasty boy jokes alone.” I could hear her smile. “Do you want me to come get you?”

“Sure. I don’t know where they have practice and I don’t want to have to deal with my car.”

“Ok, I’ll just text you when I’m there.”

*****

We got to Rian’s house and we could hear the music and singing coming from the garage. I let Kara lead the way to the door. When we walked in, I saw the boys rockin out. I noticed the bass player. I had never met him before…or yet.
I followed Kara to a couch against the wall. We sat down and waited for them to finish. I smiled at Kara. There were so good. We clapped when they were done. They took silly bows for us and I just smiled, rolling my eyes.