Stories In Scars

Meet The Parents

“Uh, no. We were just eating,” Ryan explained.

“Sure you were...” Brendon joked.

When we all finished, Ryan took me back to my shitty apartment. As we reached my door, I fumbled for my keys.

“You know, it’s Sunday night. I go for dinner every Sunday to Spencer’s place. His mom cooks. Did you want to come?” Ryan questions.

I was baffled. “You don’t think they’ll mind?”

“Nah. What’s one more person?”

“Well, okay. But you have to call her, or atleast Spencer, to let them know. I don’t want to show up there, and her not having a clue what’s going on.”

“Will do. Dinner is at 5:00. Can I pick you up at about 4:30?”

“Sounds good. Um, should I bring anything?”

He laughed at me. “Stop being so nervous, Grey. No, you don’t need to bring anything, except yourself. Kay?”

Ryan kissed me in my doorway, to reassure me.

“Okay.”

After one more kiss for good measure, he left. Only two more hours until dinner.

At 4: 28, a knock was heard on my door.

“Come on in!” I called.

“Hey. It’s Ryan.”

I came out of my bedroom, almost ready.

“Wow, Grey, you look fantastic.” I suppose he was referring to my somewhat non-messy appearance. For dinner tonight at Spencer’s house, I wore dark jeans, a faded purple The Cure t-shirt, and a tight fitting grey cardigan. On my feet I wore black Steven flats, and on my jeans was a black belt, with an eight-track buckle to the side. My hair was down, which was a change for me. Since moving, it was just easier to keep it up.

“Thanks. You don’t look too shabby yourself,” I replied. Ryan had his hair perfect. Slightly messy, but in a good way. Under his blazer, he wore a vintage tee, and on his hands were his trademark fingerless gloves. His colorful belt, paired with fancy bowling shoes, finished the outfit beautifully.

We kissed and made our way out to his Mercedes.

As we pulled up to Spencer’s house, I suddenly got a bad case of nerves.

“Ryan, I’m sorta nervous. About meeting his family.”

“Don’t be, sweetie. They’re nice people. Don’t worry.”

Once again, he reassured me with his gentle kiss.

“Ready?”

“Ready.”