Stories In Scars

Dead Roses On The Kitchen Table

A day later, I was able to go back on the bus, but not perform yet. The doctor wanted me to wait a few more days before we got back on the road.

On the bus, Brendon and Spencer were waiting on me, treating me like a princess. Ryan pretended I wasn’t there. I suppose I intimidated him the other day. And Jon, well, he was nowhere to be found.

I still don’t understand why Jon acted all disappointed when I told him it was just the hormones. I mean, there was a spark there, but it couldn’t have been anything... could it? He just broke up with his girlfriend about two days ago... How could he get over her that quickly?

“Grey!” Brendon yelled, pulling me out of my thoughts. “I just made some mac and cheese for you. How much do you want?”

“Bren, I’m not hungry...”

“Too bad. I’m going to make you eat anyways,” he said with a smirk.

A huge bowl of mac and cheese appeared infront of me. Brendon brought two spoons, and we both dug in.

“I’ve been thinking,” I tell Brendon, “and --”

“Did you hurt your brain?”

“I can’t hear a word you’re saying, my dear. And, I feel like I should change my hair. I’m starting a new chapter, since it’s after the abortion and all, so I think I should change my hair.”

“But I like the red!”

“Oh,” I tell him, “stop being such a girl, you little pansy. What color? I was thinking maybe black or blue.”

“Black! You’ll look like a little porcelain doll!”

“You’re such a girl...”

“Yeah. Mhm,” Brendon nods, “Let’s go buy some! I wanna dye your hair!!!”

“Okay, sheesh. Let me finish eating!”

We finished eating the mac and cheese, and headed out to the store to go buy some hair dye. They had some at the drugstore, so we picked up some there, and headed back to the bus.

“You better read the goddamn directions though!”

“Yeah, yeah,” he reassures me. Not well though.

An hour or so later, my hair was all black. Of course, you could still see the red undertones, but, it was a change. Thank god.

Brendon called Spencer to come out of his bunk to see my hair.

“Oooh! I like it!” Spencer screamed.

“I know, right!?” Brendon agreed. “And I did it!”

“Oh please, I told you exactly what to do!” I said.

“What’s with all the noise?” Ryan asked, coming into the lounge.

We all got quiet.

“Oh, Grey, you dyed your hair. It looks nice,” Ryan told me, half smiling.

“Thanks, Ryan,” I tell him, looking at my shoes.

All of a sudden, Jon stumbled onto the bus, reeking of alcohol. He was extremely drunk... And I’ve seen him drink a lot before, with no effect. What the hell happened?

“God, Jon, are you okay?” I ak him.

“Yesh...,” he slurs.

“Let’s go back to your bunk,” I say, taking him by the arm.

After a long while, Jon finally passed out in his bunk. Still, I didn’t know what the hell happened.

“What the hell happened to him?” Spencer and Ryan asked, almost in unison. They must’ve read my mind.

“I have no idea. All I know is he’s going to have a damn huge hangover.”