Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Eight

September 9th, 2010
Thursday
Flawless Beauty Hair & Makeup Salon, Boston, MA
12:30 P.M.

In the work the next morning Talia fired questions at her about Nathan.

“So who is this guy?” asked Talia on their lunch break.

“He’s just a friend,” said Evangeline. The two women sat outside the pizza shop next to their hair salon. They shared a small cheese pizza like they usually did every lunch.

“Oh ya,” said Talia sarcastically. “Just a friend that you spent the night with.”

“He’s an old friend of mine,” said Evangeline.

“An old friend you got drunk with and slept with.” said Talia.

“He has a wife,” she said. “I’m going shopping with her tonight.”

“Oh drama!” said Talia. Evangeline laughed and said

“Hopefully not.” They finished eating and went back to the salon.

At 5:00 Evangeline left the salon, picked up Trenton, and drove home. She dressed in a nice pair of dark blue skinny jeans, black heeled boots, and a nice white blouse. Nathan had offered to watch both Dylan and Trenton when they were out so she strapped him into his car seat and drove to Nathan’s house. When she pulled into his driveway there were four or five other cars there, all of them either Mercedes, BMWS, or Rolls Royce. Her Ford Explorer looked so unpolished next to them. She got Trenton from the back seat and went up to the front door. She rang the bell and Tammy answered the door.

“Hey Angie!” she said. “You’re just in time!” Evangeline walked into the house and Tammy led her into the family room where she saw a group of women sitting around. Tammy said

“Ladies this is Evangeline and her son Trenton. Evangeline is one of Nathan’s old friends.” She saw Brittany there, and two other unfamiliar women.

“Hi,” said Evangeline shyly. Tammy introduced the girls;

“This is Sheena, Johnny Boychuck’s girlfriend.” She pointed to a soft featured blonde girl. “And this is Melissa, Tim Thomas’ wife.” She pointed to an older looking blonde woman who smiled back at her. “And you know Brittany.” Suddenly Nathan came in and said

“I thought I heard Trenton come in.” He smiled at her and said “Dylan’s been waiting for him to come and play.”

“He’s all yours,” said Evangeline handing Trenton over to his father. She kissed Trenton on his head and said “Have fun with Dylan buddy.” Nathan winked at her and then turned and left the room. Tammy smiled and said

“Dylan really has been talking about Trenton all day. He’s so excited to have a new friend!”

“That’s so cute,” said Evangeline. “They’re little best friends.” The girls all got into Nathan’s Escalade SUV. Tammy drove with Sheena in the passenger seat, Brittany and Evangeline were in the middle seat, and Melissa was in the back seat.

“So,” said Brittany. “You have a boyfriend?”

“No, Trenton’s father left me soon after I found out I was pregnant.”

“Hopefully I’ll marry Milan one day,” she said dreamily. “And we can live in the penthouse.” Evangeline looked out the window and saw that Tammy was pulling into a small parking lot on Newbury St. Evangeline had never shopped on Newbury St., everything was so expensive. They all got out and Tammy said

“Do you shop around here Angie?”

“No,” she said. “Never have.”

“We’ll show you around.” said Sheena. They walked down the sidewalk and Tammy pointed out different shops. They walked into Gucci and the store employees knew Tammy.

“Hello Mrs. Horton, would you like to see the newest arrivals?”

“Yes please,” she said. They followed the woman to the room in the back where there were a few racks of clothing. Evangeline looked at the price tag of a bathing suit and saw it was $600. She suddenly felt scared to touch anything in the room. The employee took a beautiful pair of strap heels off the shelf and said

“These are the newest pair of heels, and there are only thirty of them available right now.” Without even asking the price she said

“I’ll take them,”

“Would you like to see the new coats we just got in?”

“Oh yes,” said Tammy. Evangeline decided to follow Brittany over to the rack of shirts. She watched as she picked out five shirts from the rack. Evangeline saw the prices were all $500 each.

“How are you gonna pay for all that?” said Evangeline in shock. She shrugged and said

“I’ll put it on Milan’s credit card,” Evangeline walked off on her own and looked around at all the designer clothing that lined the walls. She felt out of place and when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket she whipped it out, desperate to talk to anyone. She saw it was a text message from Nathan. It read ‘So how’s shopping?’ She texted back ‘Gucci is the most expensive store I’ve ever been in.’ She received a picture message of Dylan and Trenton rolling around on the floor together playing. Under the picture the message read ‘They’re best friends now.’ She texted back ‘Maybe they know they’re brothers.’ She got a message back saying ‘Trenton called me dada.’ She felt like the more time she and Trenton spent around Nathan, the deeper the attachment became. ‘That’s great,’ texted back Evangeline. Nathan’s next message read ‘I love spending time with my two sons.’ She felt extremely emotional and felt tears come to her eyes. Since the say Trenton had been born she had hoped in her heart that Nathan would somehow return and be the father her son always had lacked. She didn’t answer the text and went and found Tammy looking at another pair of shoes.

“You gonna get anything?” Tammy asked.

“No I can’t afford it,” said Evangeline. Tammy didn’t answer but held a pair of dress pants up to her and said

“Do these pants look good with the shirt I’m wearing?” Evangeline smiled and said

“They look good,” Tammy said

“Thanks,” She handed the pants to the employee to put them with the rest of her purchases and said “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship Angie.” Evangeline felt shocked with what she had said and it took a few seconds for her to respond.

“I do to Tammy, I’m glad I ran back into Nathan.” Tammy smiled and said

“We need to find you someone.” said Tammy.

“What?” said Evangeline.

“We need to find you a guy from the team.” said Tammy.

“Oh that’s alright,” said Evangeline. “I’m not sure if I’m read for another relationship.”

“Oh it will be awesome though,” said Tammy. “You’ll have a hockey boyfriend.”

“I don’t know Tammy,” said Evangeline.

“Oh come on, just go on a date. There are a lot of single available guys on the team. I’ll get you one who likes kids for Trenton.” Evangeline would come out and say that she already was in love but she kept her mouth shut about it and gave in.

“Alright,” said Evangeline. Tammy smiled and said

“Good, I’ll get right on it.” And that’s how she ended up on a date with David Krejci at Fire and Ice on Friday night.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.