‹ Prequel: When You Were Young

I Can't Remember That Was Us

My Life

"So, is there an actual reason that you didn't tell me that I was having a kid or did you just say that to get me to come back?" Matt asked me as soon as he stepped into the house. I was surprised to see Jimmy entering behind him. I honestly didn't think that Jimmy was going to find him.

"Actually, both...I really don't want to do this in front of Jimmy..." I said, shaking my head and shooting Jimmy an apologetic look. I know the last thing Jimmy wants is to have to hear us arguing.

"Actually, I was just leaving..." he told me, turning around and dashing out the door. I couldn't help but to chuckle a little.

"Well, Jimmy's gone." he told me, giving me an impatient look before looking at the ground.

"Matt, I didn't want to lie to you. I wanted to tell you the truth the whole time...It's just...you've gone through so much already...I...I just didn't want to spring this on you and add to your stress." I explained it to him the only way I knew how, hoping that he would understand.

"Hayleigh! You just don't fucking do that to people! I know you were trying to help...but you just made things worse!" He yelled, making me jump. I honestly didn't expect him to yell.

"I didn't mean to scare you, but I'm pretty upset right now... fuck, I don't even know what to say..." he gave me a funny look before turning around and walking upstairs. I don't know what more he wants from me! I told him why I lied and I wish he would just respect that and forgive me. I guess I'll just give him the time he needs and hope that he doesn't hate me forever.

~Three Days Later~

"Matt, could you please get the decorations?" I asked him as I grabbed my purse and put my hoodie on.

"Sure." he replied shortly. Matt and I haven't spoken for two days. I guess he still hates me for lying to him. I don't really blame him. I wish I could just take it all back right now. I should have just told him. More so, I should have talked him out of going on that fishing trip or went with him. Maybe we wouldn't be in this situation right now. It's not going to be the same. Everything is going to be so quiet because Matt used to be the life of the party. Now, he doesn't remember any of his friends or have any crazy stories to tell them about touring.

"Isn't your mom supposed to take care of the decorations if she's throwing you a 'not-so-surprise' party?" he asked me, still avoiding eye contact.

"Yes, but she isn't going to be able to since Bill is sick." I told him, not even turning around to face him as I walked out the door. It wouldn't make a difference, he wouldn't look me in the face.

"Who the fuck is Bill?" he asked me. I had forgotten that he probably doesn't remember Bill.

"Mom's boyfriend." I told him as I opened my cell to read a text. We got into the car, me driving, Matt in the passenger seat.

"She's going to be late because she has to take Bill home." I said aloud. I wasn't really telling Matt because I knew that he probably doesn't care.

"Why do you need that shitty banner anyway? It will just make the place look tacky." he complained, looking out the window of the car.

"Matt, you may have amnesia or whatever the fuck, but you haven't changed a lot."

"Really? You think I still would have said that?" he asked me, finally looking over at me.

"Definitely. You always had an input about things like that. You never liked banners or anything like that." I feel weird telling him things about himself.

"I guess you're right. You know me better than I know myself right now." he replied, looking away again.

"I've always known you better than you know yourself." I told him truthfully. He didn't reply, I guess he was in deep thought about everything. Probably trying to remember things. The rest of the ride was silent.

~Two Hours Later~

The house was full by now and Matt and I had already put the decorations up, not including the banner. I've been searching for Matt for about a minute now and finally, I spot him near the punch bowl (spiked, of coarse- which is a big no-no for me.)

"Matt, if you drink, please try not to drink too much. I don't mind you drinking, but I don't want to have to carry you inside the house later tonight." I told him gently, trying not to piss him off.

"I can do whatever the fuck I want, Hayleigh." he replied in a grouchy tone. Too late...I guess he's already had a few. I threw my hands up and walked away quickly because I could feel tears about to fall. I ended up in the kitchen before tears started to fall freely down my face. I was just so agitated with this whole situation. The Matt I know would have never talked to me that way. Even if he was mad. Especially if he knew I was pregnant. I don't know what to do and everything is just so stressful. It is really unhealthy for me to be stressed like this because of the baby. I really just need to spend some time away from Matt to take my mind off things. Where could I go? To the cabin? That is a great idea. I will leave tomorrow morning.

Before I could wipe the tears off of my face, Brian entered the room.

"Hayleigh? What's wrong? You look like you've been crying." he stated the obvious.

"That's because I have been." I told him, truthfully, knowing that it wouldn't do any good to lie to him about it.

"What is it? What's got you so upset?" he asked me again. I took a deep breath before I even tried to explain it to him.

"It's just all of this shit with Matt. I'm under enough stress already with this baby on the way and Matt can't even try to understand. It's like he's a completely different person...Well, not really a different person, it's just like he has a different attitude... towards me, mainly." I explained to him the best way I could.

"What do you mean?" he asked, giving me a concerned look. I sighed again.

"He talks to me like I don't mean shit to him...He says things that the old Matt would never say."

"What the fuck do you mean? What did he say to you?" Brian asked me, looking a little angry.

"It's nothing...he's been drinking." I tried to wave the conversation away with my hand.

"No, that's no fucking excuse. The Matt I know would never say a fucking word to you, I don't give a shit how drunk he is."

"Seriously, don't worry about it, I'm sure he's just stressed out." I tried to make him forget it again.

"If you don't tell me, I'll go in there right now and kick his ass."

"It's really not a big deal. I told him to try not to drink so much because I didn't want to pack him in the house tonight...I told him in a polite way, and he told me that he can do whatever the fuck he wants- in a rude way..." I explained. I placed a hand on my belly, silently apologizing for using such vulgar language.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" he yelled, angrily walking out the door. I sat there for a minute, dreading what was about to happen. I stood up and went to the door where I could see Brian walking angrily towards Matt. I saw Jimmy come behind Brian.

"Woa, woa...Brian, calm down. What's wrong?" Jimmy asked him, touching his arm. Jimmy could tell that he was highly pissed off. Brian just shoved Jimmy off of his arm and continued towards Matt. Finally, he arrived and I was waiting to hear what he said.

"Matt, do you know what the fuck you just did?!" Brian yelled at Matt. Matt looked at him dumb-founded.

"You have a lot of fucking nerve to talk to your pregnant fucking wife that way. She was in the kitchen crying at her goddamn birthday party. Why? Because you had to be a fucking asshole!"

"I can talk to my wife however the fuck I want. How the hell is this any of your business?!" Matt yelled back in a defensive tone.

"Just shut the fuck up and listen to what I'm saying. I have half the mind to kick your ass right here, but I'm not as much as a disrespectful asshole as you and I wouldn't want to upset Hayleigh. I would have given anything to have a wife like Hayleigh and you need to appreciate what you have. Look, I know you got problems, but you need to fucking solve them and stop being a prick. Problems don't give you an excuse to be a dick to everyone who loves you!" Brian yelled and gave me a short apologetic look before stepping outside. Matt looked my way and gave me a glare, but I pretended not to see him. I needed some fresh air as well, so I walked outside to find Brian standing there looking highly pissed off. He looked and me and I just pulled him into a hug.

"Calm down." I told whispered. After a second, I let go of him and looked him in the eyes. He looked a lot calmer than he was, but he was obviously still pissed.

"That was unnecessary... but thanks." I told him, crossing my arms. It was pretty chilly outside.

"No problem... If he says another ill word to you, make sure you let me know...You're always welcome at my house if you want to get out, ya know." That's another option, but I think staying with Brian would piss Matt off more than he already was.

"Thanks, Brian. I really appreciate it." I told him quietly.

"I think I better go now before Matt gets too brave." he told me with a chuckle. I gave him one last hug before he got in his jeep and left. I stood there alone for a few minutes and turned back around to see a very pissed off Matt walking towards me.

"I can't believe you ran your fucking mouth to Brian. That was a childish thing to do." he told me calmly.

"No, you know what is childish? You. The way you're acting and I don't want to talk about it, I just want to go home." I told him, never looking at him. I honestly didn't care if I ever look at him again at this point. Angry tears fell from my eyes.

"Hayleigh. I didn't mean-" he sounded more sympathetic, but I cut him off.

"Save it." I said, walking towards the car. Matt silently followed me and got in the passenger side. The whole ride home was silent. I honestly can't wait to get out of here tomorrow. It will be peaceful at the cabin and I can keep my mind off of things. I don't want to leave Matt, but I think it's best for the baby. I have to protect my baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3