‹ Prequel: When You Were Young

I Can't Remember That Was Us

November Rain

Matt’s POV

I sat there on the couch, impatiently waiting for Hayleigh to come out of the bathroom so that I could sweep her off of her beautiful feet and take her upstairs to bed. I knew she was tired and it would make me feel better to just get her upstairs resting. Maybe I wanted to kiss her and advance to bigger and better things, but tonight isn’t the night for that. I want her to decide when it is time for that. I don’t mind all of the cuddling and kissing at all, in fact, I’m completely content with it. I’m just happy as long as I’m with her. I don’t remember ever being this happy in my life. Duh! I don’t remember my life, but maybe I was this happy all the time. I can’t see how I couldn’t be as long as Hayleigh is in the picture to make me feel complete. She is the most beautiful person I have ever met in my life and everything she does is perfect. I don’t think I could live without her and now I know that’s the reason why I chose to marry her in the past. I heard her coming out of the bathroom and I looked up, eager to see her beautiful face. She walked out slowly, a piece of paper in hand and when I looked up to see her face, my heart stopped when I saw that she was crying. Eyeliner and mascara was smeared everywhere and I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was absolutely heartbroken. What has made my beautiful queen so sad? I rushed over to her immediately, afraid that maybe something was wrong with the baby.

“Sweetheart, what’s wrong?” I asked her, the concern evident on my face and in my voice. She looked up at me, a look of disbelief in her eyes. I could also see anger and sadness- all at the same time. I could tell that she was fighting just to stay calm.

“I get that you don’t remember anything, but I can’t even stand to look at you right now. I’m leaving.” She told me before throwing the envelope at me and rushing out of the house. She didn’t bother to even take clothes and I’m pretty sure she left her purse in the bathroom. I heard the car pulling out of the driveway before I could even register what was going on. Obviously something in that envelope had upset her and it was something about me. I slowly reached down, picking it up with my shaking hands. I held back my own tears, as I was afraid that inside the envelope was something that could make me lose her. I feel like I just got here and I don’t want to lose her now, not ever! I slowly opened the envelope, pulling the white piece of paper out. It looked as if it was typed carefully and calmly by whoever typed it. I began to read.

Hayleigh,
I bring you this news with a lot of regret and also in hopes that you won’t be angry with me or hate me even. I sit here, locked up in my room typing this letter to you and I can hear you and Matt in the next room. It’s like a fucking Nicholas Sparks book and it almost makes me sick to my stomach. It isn’t the love the two of you have together that makes me sick; it is the fact that Matt has deceived you for a fine amount of time. You see, in November, a month before Matt lost his memory, he and I slept together. It was something that didn’t involve feelings and I regret it to this day. I wanted very much for Matt to tell you because I thought it was something that you deserved to know, but unfortunately he didn’t listen and continued to lie to you. This only happened once, as I was vulnerable at the time he took advantage of me. I am so sorry and I regret it every minute. Especially now after I have seen how in love the two of you are. The reason I have decided to write you this letter is because of Matt’s memory loss. And since he can’t ever tell you himself, I have decided to take it upon myself. Now there are no secrets and I trust that you will do the right thing and use this information the right way.

Sincerely,
A friend


I sighed, sitting back down on the couch and crinkling the note up in my hands. Who the hell could’ve written this? And more importantly, was it true? Did I cheat on the love of my life with some woman that I’ll never love? Not even I know the answer to that. The only person who would know for sure is the person who wrote this note. Surely this note didn’t come from Lilah. That’s Jimmy’s girl. I would never defy Jimmy that way… Would I? It’s sad when you don’t even know yourself- better yet remember what you have done. What do I do? How can I ever redeem myself from something that I don’t remember or even know for sure if I did? I have to figure out quickly who wrote this note and I have to talk to them because I need some answers. I put my face in my hands, holding back tears and missing Hayleigh already. She would know just how to comfort me right now, granted she didn’t need comforting herself. Then the realization hits me that I won’t be sleeping with Hayleigh tonight and I don’t know when I ever will again. How am I going to get through this night? I pondered the answer as I went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniels.
♠ ♠ ♠
I realize it is short but I felt like it was an important part of the story. All of the positive feedback, recs, and subs are greatly appreciated :)