‹ Prequel: The Sun Makes Shadows
Status: Sequel!

There's No Dark Without Light

Work

Matt’s POV-

“Nyaa?” I asked, looking at the girl. “What are you doing here? I thought this was for me to face what happened…”

She shrugged. “Wha-” She began but was interrupted by the door being opened.

“Matty!” A dark haired girl sang.

“Marley.” I gasped, feeling my heart tighten.

“Of course it’s me silly. Don’t act as if you never saw me before.” She giggled.

“But, uh…” I glanced at Nyaa. Marley looked in the same direction with a confused look on her face.

“Whatcha lookin’ at?” She asked. “Daydreaming again?” She teased. “Or are the questionable magazines-”

“Get out!” I threatened in a playful manner. She squealed in delight before charging for the door.

“Oh, Matty, there’s a field trip at my school and…”

“And you need money.” I finished, reaching into my pocket for my wallet. I sighed as I pulled out a ten. “Here.” I felt Nyaa’s presence close to my shoulder. “Take it.”

“Thanks.” She smiled. “I guess you’ll have to leave soon?” She asked, her face falling.

“What, why?”

“Because you have work, silly.” She joked before closing the door.

“Oh, yeah…”

“That ten was all you had in there.” Nyaa commented as she peered into my wallet.

“Nuh uh. I’m pretty sure there are a couple quarters…”I rummaged through and found that she was right. “Oh well. My next pay check will fill it up.” I sighed before I walked to the closet. I pulled out my old work shirt, feeling the worn out fabric. I stared at it for a moment before flipping my own shirt off, and pulling work one on.

“Hey! Could I have some warning next time?”

I turned to see Nyaa glaring at me.

“Oops, sorry. I didn’t mean to…I kind of forgot.” I gave her a smile before walking out of my room. I found my mother, drunk as a skunk on the table. “Ma?” I shook her. “Ma!”

“What?” Her head shot up. “What is it Matt?”

“I’m going to work.” I whispered.

“Okay.” She murmured back, putting her head down. That was it. No goodbye, no be safe, nothing. I felt my eyes sting, but I wasn’t going to cry. Not now.

I walked into the garage, faintly aware of Nyaa there trying to say something. But she was getting fainter and fainter, until I got to work and she disappeared completely.

“Hello Matthew.” My manager greeted me. “A bit early, huh?”

“I guess so.” I said before going to my post at the counter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, love, subscribe. ^.^ And thanks for all the love and support, and continuing with the sequel!

-camillia21