Status: fin.

Love Like Winter

twenty;

Aurora stared at her Uncle completely bewildered, her mouth dropping and her eyes wide. “You know?” she said, her voice taking on that very teenager-y tone that said shit was about to get real. “You knew that there were fucking werewolves in this town and you didn’t think that was a good thing to tell me?”

“Now don’t take that tone with me young lady,” her Uncle tried feebly knowing it was no good. The whole point Aurora had come here was for that temper—this place was supposed to a sort of meditation zone for her. So she could find a zen to channel her anger. But when that anger was out in the open there was no stopping that flood—the best thing to do was to wait until it passed.

“I’ll take whatever tone I feel like taking, especially because it’s apparent my uncle doesn’t give a damn whether I live or die,” she cried. Davidson sighed, rolling his eyes and looking away from all three of them. “You told my parents that this place would be good for me—you willingly let me drive out here to spend the whole god damn summer in this stupid cabin.”

“Actually that’s not exactly true…” he muttered, knowing that Aurora knew he had grudgingly allowed her to come live with him. Aurora held up a hand and Davidson shut up.

Both Lucas and Aiden were standing and shifting uncomfortably in the background, their hands behind their backs. They looked like soldiers with how familiar and identical their postures were.

“That was a wolf that I almost hit that first night wasn’t it?” she said suddenly and when she turned her head and saw Aiden’s look of guilt as his lips pressed together she looked back at her uncle. Her mouth was wide and she pointed at Aiden accusingly. “It totally was! I almost ran over a goddamn werewolf and you’re sitting there yelling at me about insurance. Werewolves, Uncle Davidson. Fucking werewolves.”

She let out one last curse before dropping into one of the wooden chairs at the kitchen table. Davidson stopped massaging his temples and glanced up. “Are you finished?” he asked and Aurora made another very teenager-y shrug of indecision. “Oh good. Now you can tell me what the hell you’ve gotten yourself into.”

Both Aiden and Lucas opened their mouths to speak but Aurora beat them to it. It seemed in the company of her uncle she was much more comfortable to speak her mind. For whatever reason she felt much safer than when she was alone with either one of the werewolf men.

“Aiden’s psycho girlfriend saw us swimming together and now she wants to eat me.”

“She doesn’t want to eat you,” Aiden muttered. He glanced over and saw a small smile playing on Lucas’ lips before he punched him in the arm.

Davidson was nodding like he completely understood though. “Fornicating with a human is strictly forbidden in wolf law,” he muttered though Aurora already knew this.

“We weren’t fornicating,” she said, disgust evident in her voice at the word ‘fornicate’. “We were swimming.”

“Doesn’t matter,” Davidson said with a shrug. “Aiden’s betrothed, Isabelle, I’m assuming? That young lady is incredibly hotheaded and proud. If she thinks there’s a risk to her place in the pack she’ll try and get rid of that risk.”

“Like I said, crazy bitch.”