Sequel: Take a Breath

Until the End of Time

I'm Sorry for Breaking All the Promises I Wasn't Around to Keep

A soft knock at my door had me locking my door. I got off my floor, hearing him clear his throat.

"Madison, please let me in."

"Go home," I pleaded.

"You know I can't do that," He got out hoarsely.

Had he been crying? I know that he had hurt me, but it wasn't really fair for me to just treat him like something I scraped off of my shoe. I unlocked my door slowly, sitting on my bed with my knees pulled to my chest.

"May I come in?"

"Y-Yes," I got out quietly. I didn't know what would happen when he did, though, and I wasn't too pleased with either of us right now. I wished we could be civil and act like nothing was wrong, but I was too stubborn to stop holding the grudge.

The handle turned, and I prepared myself for when he would walk in. The breath left my lungs quickly when he walked in, almost as if someone had just knocked it out of me. Someone did just knock it out me, but not literally, just figuratively.

I could feel the lump starting to form in my throat once again, and I swallowed hard, knowing that if I got it out of my head, such things wouldn't happen anymore.

"May I?" He asked, gesturing to the bed. I merely nodded; I surely wasn't going to let my voice betray me right now.

He sat down softly, though I still bounced from the extra weight he was giving. He ran his thumb over the necklace numerous times before turning to me. He opened his mouth, trying to find the wwords to say, but it seemed as if he was in the same boat I was.

I had no idea what to say to him just as he had no idea what to say to me, either. Finally, he broke the silence.

"Madison, I am so sorry. I'm sorry for leaving you like I did, and I'm sorry for never keeping in contact. I did write letters, but somehow they never seemed to reach you. I gave up when I heard no response, and I know I should have tried harder to reach you. I thought that you didn't want anything to do with me, Madi."

"I d-didn't want anything to do with you. After you guys left, it tore me apart. Aside from you guys, I only had Carmen, but somedays, it just wasn't enough. I watched for tour dates, I hoped you'd visit, I waited for phone calls.....but they never came. Six years, Kevin. Do you know what that did to me?"

"I can only imagine. I know what it did to me."

"And what did it do to you exactly? Did it hurt you enough to become a number one? Did it hurt you enough to look so damn happy with your new best friends?"

Bitterness seeped into my voice, and hurt flashed in his eyes before he stood up. "If you think it didn't hurt me, you're a fool, Madison."

"It didn't hurt you like it hurt me, Kevin."

"And how do you know that, huh? How could you possibly know that I didn't go crazy missing you guys?"

"Because if you went crazy missing us, then you would have called. You would have visited. You would have done everything in your power to make it known that you did!"

"And what did you do, Madison? Watched for tour dates and wait for phone calls? That's a whole lot, Maddi. A whole lot."

Tears filled my eyes as I stood up as well. "Go. Just....go."

"Gladly," He hissed, walking out of my room and downstairs. I heard the front door slam, and I slumped back onto my bed, feeling worse than I had before. What ever friendship there was left, it was gone now.

Carmen rushed into my room, holding me tightly, smoothing my hair back. "I'm so sorry, honey. I'm so sorry."

I nodded, leaning against her. "I'm sure things will get better."

Yeah, maybe they would, but things always had to get worse before they got better. I wasn't ready for the worse, I was ready for the better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? </3