Sequel: Take a Breath

Until the End of Time

Just Take a Breath

As the kids ran through the house, excitement pulsed through their bodies. Kevin took the freshly turned twelve year old, Madison, by the hand and led her outside. Though she was fairly sure her heartbeat increasing wasn't from the previous act but from his touch, she said nothing.

He smiled at her, not helping her pulse by much. "I love you, Madison."

She grinned broadly, her heart melting at the mere mention of the three words slipping through his lips. She didn't have to hesitate as she repeated the same words back to him; she truly did love him. Whether or not he loved her was a mystery, but the shy pre-teen didn't plan on asking anytime soon.

"Happy birthday, Madi-girl."

He took a silver box out of his back pocket, a black bow fastened tightly to the top of the box. She smiled before taking the box out of his hand, tugging gently at the bow, watching as the ribbon fell to the ground. She opened the box, her fingers running over the cotton wrapping. She bit her lip, removing that to see her gift.

Tears filled her eyes as she took out the necklace. It was a simple heart-shaped necklace on a chain, but it meant the world and more to her that he would go through the trouble of doing this for her. On the back, in perfect lettering and font, read the inscription:

"I love you so much, Madi-girl. Happy Birthday. Love always, your Kevi-bear."

He bent down so that he was eye-level with her, and a smile stretched across his face as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Thank you, Kevin. I love it."

He chuckled wholeheartedly. "I'm glad you do, because that's custom made. Can't be returned."

She grinned, her eyes lighting up as she undid the clasp.

"Would you like me to help you with that?"

"Yes, please," She turned around, her back facing him. He grabbed her hair softly, causing the much younger girl to blush at his action. He pulled her hair to the side, setting the necklace around her neck, his fingers lightly brushing her skin as he did so.

She wheeled around to face him, both pairs of eyes shining at the other. "I'll always be here for you, Madison. I promise."

He leaned forward to place a soft kiss on her cheek, her eyes fluttering closed upon contact. "P-Promise?"

"I swear it, Madi. We're inseparable."

She smiled at the thought, taking in every word and remembering it for a rainy day. Neither of them knew it, but promises would be broken only days later. Neither of them could control it, but they couldn't stop it even if they tried. The two held hands, walking back inside.


Kevin's Point of View

"Honey, what's the matter?" My Mother asked worriedly.

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong, Mom," I assured her, kissing her cheek softly before retreating to my old room. I shut the door softly, knowing that I if I slammed it, I'd be getting lectured. I sighed, rubbing my face stressfully.

What the hell was that? You let your best friend down again. Great. Good job, you idiot. I groaned, placing the necklace on my bedside table. I had to move out soon. I needed to find my own place. Twenty three years old and still lives at home with Mommy and Daddy.

What a fucking loser. I needed my own place. My own privacy. Being around my family all the time was driving me insane. I slipped my worn sneakers off before taking a deep breath. Maybe this was how it was supposed to be.

Maybe I was supposed to be living with them until I settled down and found a woman. Granted, most woman wont give you the time of day if you live with your parents. Though, I'm fairly sure the case is different when you're 'famous'.

I laughed bitterly, making my way into the medium sized bathroom. I ripped my shirt off, throwing it to the floor. It isn't what it's cracked up to be. At least, not for me. The Jonas Brothers. When teens think of it, two names come to mind, and neither of them mine.

Fans only cared about Joe and Nick, or so it seems. I didn't give a shit any longer, honestly. I'm too old to prance around a stage, smile at fucking thirteen year olds, and deal with all the drama that everyone calls Hollywood.

The Jonas Brothers were done with the 'five minutes of fame'. We had a good, solid five or so years, and now we could do our own thing. By the end of Jonas L.A., fans were already expecting this. We couldn't be heartthrobs forever, and it's time the public realized that.

Nick could do well going solo, Joe could act or have some kind of solo act as well, and I could do what I do best. I would just be Kevin. Sure, some years later, I might want to incorporate music into my life as I couldn't just do away with it. Music is a big part of who I am.

I stripped completely, stepping into the shower. I turned the water on, letting it hit against my back, shivering at the sudden heat. Steam swirled around me, and my thoughts ventured to Madison again for the third time today.

I wish things could have differently, but it is what it is. We wont speak for a while, then we'll get over it. It's as simple as that.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I let my curls hang loosely around my face, not really caring about how I looked at the moment. I slid my grey pants on, and grabbed my white v-neck tee before walking downstairs. Everyone was already at the table, giving thanks for the food.

I rolled my eyes angrily, taking the only empty seat: next to Madison. Of course. Why make this any easier on me, Mother?

"Nice of you to finally join us, son," My Father spoke, eyeing me carefully. He gestured to Madison's hand, and I took it slowly, bowing my head as did everyone else. Tonight couldn't possibly go by slower, could it?

My brother, Frankie gave thanks, as per usual on occasions like this. Adults found it 'cute' that he could speak so maturely at 10. The doorbell ringing had me excusing myself, and opening it to see my girlfriend, Danielle.

"Hey honey," She said, kissing my cheek swiftly before smiling at everyone. They all smiled in return, of course, except for Madison. She always hated anyone I dated, even if I loved them dearly. I never understood it, to be honest. She didn't give a rat's ass about me; that was clear today.

She was my best friend, not my Mother. I kissed her softly, smirking slightly as I pulled away. Eyes went to Madison as she got up hastily. "Danielle, take my seat, please. I need some air."

"Thank you, sweetie."

Danielle took her seat, I following her quickly. Madison pushed past me harshly on her way out, everyone turning their gaze to me.

"You're an asshole, Kevin," Carmen said, looking at me coldly.

"Am I? I was just getting the door for my girlfriend. Now, how is that rude?"

"You stuck your tongue down her throat. I believe we want to eat our food, not throw it up."

"Carmen!" Her 'Mother' scolded.

Carmen held up her finger before pushing away from the table and going outside as well. Looks were being thrown in every direction and my Mother shifted uncomfortably. "Maybe this would be best finished tomorrow night?"

"Denise, I'm sorry for the way the girls' acted. I don't know what's gotten into them."

"I understand, Kathy. The girl isn't feeling well. Perhaps we should finish this up at a later date?" My Father suggested.

John sighed, shaking his head. "Alright. I'm act truly sorry, Paul."

"It's okay. I would be upset, too, after not seeing you for quite some time. I hold nothing against them."

Kathy and John nodded, before getting up and leaving quickly. I knew there would be tension between the two families for a while, something I had thought to avoid. But Madison had to act that way.

"Kevin, you really are blind," Nick muttered before walking out of the house, following them.

I had no clue as to what he was talking about, and right now, I didn't care. I refused to be upset over something so stupid. Danielle was here, and the least I could do was be a good host.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
There's Kevin's outlook on things.