Sequel: Listen To Your Heart
Status: Completed

Untangle Me

Old Friends

I was finishing up unpacking, placing a lamp on a side table when there was a frantic knock on our door.
“EEEEEEKKKKKKKK! She’s here!” Mary exclaimed and ran to the door. She swung it open and was tackled by a petite brunette. Definitely Lauren. I ran over too and tackled them both.
“Oh My God guys! I’ve missed you so much!” Lauren squealed as she squeezed us. “I can’t believe you guys are back! This is going to be just like old times! We are spending every single day together, got it!?” She laughed.
“Got it!” I laughed as we broke up the hug. “Come on, let’s sit.” I escorted her to the couches while Mary went to the kitchen and got us drinks.
“So what’s up with you Jamie? I haven’t talked to you in forever!” She exclaimed.
“Yeah, I know! I’ve been good. High school was… high school. Graduated from Boston College. Massachusetts was great but I needed to come home, I mean, there was nothing holding me back. No boyfriend, no steady job, so now I’m here.” I explained.
“Good! You guys needed to come home. I’ve missed you guys so much! Tempe is just not the same without the Duncan sisters!” Lauren laughed as Mary came back with three glasses of lemonade. I thanked her and took mine and sipped it.
“What about you? What has Lauren been up to?” I asked.
“Nothing! My life is so boring. I didn’t go to college, I work at a doctor's office, I’m single, and I still live with the rents. It’s sad actually.” She frowned. I laughed.
“Things will pick up, I promise. You’re still young. There is plenty of time to get your own place, a good job and a boy toy.” I smirked. She laughed.
“Yeah, I guess. A boy toy would be nice though.” She sighed dreamily. I laughed thinking about what she was thinking about.
“Speaking of boys. We should go out to the club tonight.” Mary said.
“You two youngsters can’t get in.” I pointed out.
“Like that’s ever stopped me before.” Mary also pointed out.
“True.” I said, losing the battle.
“I’m in!” Lauren cheered.
“I’m not. I’m not up to troll for male prey.” I laughed.
“Oh yeah, I forgot, little Miss Innocent!” Lauren teased.
“Oh shut up!” I threw a pillow at her. She laughed.
“Fine. Me and Lauren will go; we need some best friend reconnecting time.” Mary said. I laughed at this.
“Yeah, I’m sure THAT’S what you’ll be doing.” I emphasized the ‘that’s’. “How about this, we all go out to dinner, then after, I drive home while you two take a cab to the club. Sounds good?” I asked.
“Sounds good to me! I’m hungry.” Mary stated.
“You’re always hungry.” I pointed out.
“True.” She said.
“Alright, lets do this. I wonder if I still remember my way around town.” I said, getting up and grabbing my purse. We all went to the Olive Garden for dinner, and talked and had a great time catching up. When dinner was over, I said my good-byes.
“Bye guys, have fun. Not too much drinking, wouldn’t want my babies getting sick.” I teased them and pinched Mary’s cheek. “And you,” I said to her. “Warn me if there will be any rocking of your bed, so I don’t think there is an earthquake.” She hit me in the arm and I laughed.
“Shut up! I would never bring a guy home from a club!” I raised my eyebrow at her. “…I’d go back to his place.” She stated casually.
“Oh, that’s so much better. Just be careful you two. Call me if you need me!” I waved and walked off to my car. As I drove down the road, I contemplated going to my old neighborhood, seeing my old house, and maybe even going to Pat’s.
I took a turn and started heading it their direction. What if he’s home? And he thinks I’m some weird stalker for showing up at his doorstep years after we lost contact. He could laugh and close the door in my face. I took a sudden U-turn, causing beeping cars all around me, and headed back towards the apartment.
I wasn’t ready for this yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, last one for today. :] Comment? Subscribe?