Sequel: Listen To Your Heart
Status: Completed

Untangle Me

Future Talk

We sat on the couch and joined in on the conversation that had started. The topic moved to the tour and my dad asked Mary and I how it was going.
“It’s good, Dad. It’s a lot of fun.” I told him with a smile and Mary nodded agreeing. I saw Snickers come over to the couch and rub against John’s legs. John picked him up tentatively and put him in his lap. I smiled as Snickers settled in comfortably as John pet him.
“So, you girls are working for the band?” My dad asked. We nodded. “When are you planning on finding a real job, Jamie? You didn’t go through college for nothing.” He reminded. I sighed. Here we go.
“I know Dad. I’m sure I’ll find something eventually.” I assured him.
“Eventually isn’t good enough Jamie.” He said.
“Dad. Can we not talk about this now?” I asked. He nodded but gave me a look telling me we’d be speaking later and began a conversation with Pat. I looked over at John and he smiled comfortingly.
“It’ll be okay.” He said quietly. I nodded and forced a smile. I looked down to see Snickers asleep in John’s lap with John still stroking him soothingly.
“It’s a good thing he likes you. He was the true test, not my parents. If Snickers didn’t like you, you were getting the boot.” I told him. He chuckled and then picked Snickers up in his arms and held him close.
“Thanks buddy. You saved me.” He whispered to him. I chuckled and rested my head on John’s shoulder and re-joined the conversation.
We all talked for a long time, my parents asking most of their questions to John and Kenny. I was really proud of John; he answered everything perfectly and it seemed that my parents liked not only John, but all the guys. After his interrogation, my dad called me into the kitchen. I took a deep breath and followed him.
“Dad-“ I started but was cut off.
“No. Listen Jamie. I just want what’s best for you. And we both know that you are capable of more than this. You went to a really good college and graduated in the top 10% of your class. You have the ability to do anything you want and you chose this? You’re better than this Jamie. And John’s a very nice guy but you deserve better than him too. He’s just going to hold you back.” My dad said.
“Dad, stop it. This is my life and I get to make the decisions. I’m really happy with where my life is right now. I’m not saying it will be this way forever, but I’m only 22! I want to live a little before settling down. And John is a great guy that I really care about so you better get used to him.” I defended myself and John, causing my dad to sigh.
“Fine Jamie. I want you to be happy. But I also want you to be successful. Just promise you’ll start thinking about the future?” He asked.
“I will. I promise.” I assured him. We hugged and then headed back to the rest of the group. I flopped down next to John and grabbed Snickers off his lap and holding him tight, in need of a hug. John put his arm around my shoulders comfortingly and pulled me closer. I put Snickers in my lap to let him lay down but instead he walked across my lap into John’s and settled in there.
“You’ve turned my dog against me.” I pouted.
“Nah. You’re still his favorite. I just have a bigger lap for him.” He smiled. I chuckled and scratched Snickers’ head before turning back to the group and began paying attention to the conversation that had started.
After another hour of talking, we decided to get back to the bus. I hugged my parents good-bye and turned to the guys congregated at the door. I giggled at John still cuddling Snickers.
“John. I don’t think he’s allowed on the bus.” I told him. He pouted.
“But we’re buddies.” He said.
“I know, I know. Come on, give him here.” I said, reaching out my arms. John frowned and reluctantly handed him over. I gave him a kiss good-bye, then handed him to my mom.
“Alright, we’re off. We’ll call soon though, alright?” I told them. My parents nodded and smiled and saw us off as we piled into the car and drove off.
“So, what do you think of my parents?” I asked the guys.
“They were cool.” Garrett said.
“Just like I remember.” Pat added.
“I’m glad you had fun.” I told them. The back started to talk about the night and I started a conversation with John.
“I told you they’d like you.” I told him.
“Is that what your dad said to you? That he liked me?” He raised an eyebrow at me.
“He said that you were a nice guy. He likes you just not your lifestyle and job.” I replied honestly.
“And what’d you say?” He pushed.
“I said that he’d have to learn to live with it because you make me happy.” I said.
“You told him that?” He asked.
“Yeah.” I said. He just grinned and grabbed my hand that rested on the console.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took a while, I decided to totally rewrite this chapter.
I think it's a lot better now so enjoy and comment! :]