Sequel: Listen To Your Heart
Status: Completed

Untangle Me

Best Friend's Day Out

“But Jamie.” John whined. “I want to spend the day with you.”
“I know baby. But we’re together all the time. And I promised Pat. It’s just one day. You’ll live.” I said, resting into his chest. We were lying in bed at night and I had told John that I’d be spending tomorrow’s day off with Pat.
“What am I supposed to do all day?” He asked. I just laughed.
“Whatever you normally do on days off before we were dating. Hang out with the guys. You all need a good guy’s day.” I said. He sighed heavily.
“Fine. But I’m not happy about it.” He pouted. I just leaned up and left a sweet kiss on his pouted lips. “Okay. I’m a little happier.” He smirked as I pulled away. I laughed and rested back on his chest.
“Good night O’Callaghan.” I breathed, closing my eyes. I loved calling him by his last name.
“Good night babe.” He said. With that, we let ourselves fall asleep.
The next day, Pat and I’s day started early with us going out to breakfast.
“So. What should we do today?” I asked as we sat in a booth at a Denny’s we had found.
“Uh… I have no idea.” He laughed.
“Hmm… Well we can just drive around I guess. We’ll find something.” I suggested. He agreed and after we finished eating, that’s just we did. After a half hour of driving around aimlessly, but still having fun, we pulled into an outdoor mall.
We walked around and passed one of my favorite clothing stores.
“Hey, wanna watch me try on clothes and then buy them all for me?” I asked. He just laughed.
“Not that I wouldn’t thoroughly enjoy that, but no thanks.” He said. I laughed and we continued on.
“Oh My God!” I squealed as we passed a pet store. “Let’s go in!” I said, not waiting for an answer before I hurried in. I immediately went to the row of cages filled with puppies.
“Hello cuties!” I cooed, kneeling down in front of a cage with two lab puppies inside. I put my fingers through the bars to pet them.
“Awww.” I heard Pat as he knelt beside me. “Can we get them?”
“I wish. I don’t think the guys would be happy.” I frowned.
“True. How about a fish?” He smirked.
“That poor thing wouldn’t last a day. Some one would get drunk and drink it.” I said, causing Pat to laugh. We got up and looked around the rest of the shop. We seriously considered buying a tarantula to scare the rest of the bus, but decided against it since I’m the one that would have to wash their soiled underwear. We spent up until lunchtime walking around the mall, and then ate there too. We asked the waitress if there were any parks or playground around here and she directed us to one. Once we got there, I saw a playground in the distance, on the other side of an open field.
“Race you to the swings!” I shouted before darting off. Soon, I saw a figure catching up to me in my peripheral vision. I knew I wouldn’t win on account of his longer legs, so I did what I had to do. Push him down.
“Hey!” I heard him yell from behind me. I laughed and just kept running. I finally got to the swings and sat down on one, breathing heavily. Pat caught up to me soon after and sat down too.
“That was dirty.” He said through his pants.
“I never said you couldn’t push the other down.” I stated simply. “Anyway. Victory prize is you have to push me on the swing.” I grinned. He huffed and stood up and began to push me.
“Déjà vu.” He said. I smiled and thought back to all the days we spent at the park as kids. Once he had pushed me really high, I jumped off and went soaring, but made a decent landing. He spent a decent amount of time at the park and then just drove around some more. We bought a couple movies and decided we’d watch them tonight while eating chinese. So we picked up some chinese take-out and headed back to the bus. It was empty, so I assumed John took my advice and got everyone to go do something. We went to the back and sat together watching movies and failing at eating with chopsticks, but were both to stubborn to use forks.
By the second movie, Pat was laying down and I was pretty much lying on top of him since the couch is so small. I heard voices and the door opening and closing.
“I guess everyone’s back.” I said. He nodded. We were both too into the movie to bother greeting them. A few minutes later, the lounge door opened and John stood there.
“Hey.” He said.
“Hey.” I smiled. “Where’d you all go today?” I asked.
“We went to Hooters for dinner. There is one not far from here. And stayed at the bar for a couple hours.” He said.
“Oh.” I said awkwardly. “Well… did you have fun?”
“Yes. And you two?” He asked.
“Yeah, we did.” I smiled. He nodded.
“Well alright. I’ll let you get back to your movie.” He said and closed the door.
“Well the was awkward.” Pat said after a moment. I nodded. “Are you upset he went to Hooters?” He asked.
“Nah. It’s just a restaurant. And it probably wasn’t even his idea.” I shrugged. Pat nodded and turned the movie back on, which he had paused when John came in. Once the movie ended, we sat up.
“I’m pretty tired. We had a long day.” I said, yawning. He nodded.
“Yeah, but I had fun. I missed hanging out. Just you and me.” He admitted.
“Me too. I forgot how much fun we have. Don’t worry Patticakes, I’m sure we’ll hang out more often.” I smiled and stood up. “But right now, I’m going to bed. Good night.”
“Night Jamie.” He smiled and I left the lounge. I grabbed my pajamas and changed quickly and climbed into my bed, not bothering to wait for John before I drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
School starts in a couple days so I'll try to post every weekend.
I know I really suck with my lack of posting. I've just lost all motivation and time to write.
But I promise you, I will finish the story. It's coming to an end. We're almost there. I'm estimating there will be around 55 chapters.
Hang in there with me.
And feel free to check out all the short stories I've posted on here too. There are four!
And I hope everyone on the east coast did okay with the hurricane! I lost power and lots of trees but nothing too horrible.