Status: ACTIVE - updated every Wednesday :)

Stories Yet To Unfold

Old Soul

The next morning a brilliant idea came to my mind. I figured that Jeff was technically now my father; which means I should at least try to get to know him. He seemed nice and I liked his friends a lot too – so what was the harm?

My idea was to simply make breakfast for him. It would break the ice and maybe some of my shyness could go away around him. I was so different around Jeff and the rest of them than I was at that damn orphanage for three weeks. At the orphanage I had a much tougher exterior. I wanted to make sure that no one got to know me because I didn’t want it to hurt when they left; and I didn’t want people to take advantage of me like my mother did. With Jeff and his friends; I was much more shy and polite.

As the eggs were cooking I saw a groggy-looking Jeff come out of his room and into the kitchen. His eyes widened at the sight of food – and me actually making it instead of him.
Before getting his coffee and sitting down he smiled at me. “Making breakfast?”

“Yeah,” I shrugged as I flipped over a pancake. “I hope you don’t mind. I just got up early and thought it would be a good idea.”

“How could I mind?” he questioned as he took a sip of his black coffee. “I’m getting free food out of it! It’s a man’s true fantasy.”

I giggled as I turned off the oven top because the food was ready. “How many pancakes do you want? I made six for the two of us, but I can make more for you if you want some.”

“With the eggs and this coffee – I’ll be fine, thank you,” he nodded at me as I set the plate full of food in front of him.

He immediately dug in as I began to eat as well. I knew that it was a now or never moment; so I went for it. “So, do you have a girlfriend or anything?”

A low chuckle came out of him. “Oh no, I’m a single pringle. I kind of like it that way too to be honest. I’m not one for dating; I like to stick to my job and living the good life.”

“And the good life is being single?” I asked as I took a drink of my cold water. “I like to believe being in a relationship would be nice.”

He gave me an odd look as his brown eyes scrunched up. “Have you ever been in a relationship?”

“At one time, almost. But, it wasn’t meant to be. I have plenty of time to be romantic anyway, fourteen is young,” I shrugged – looking positively at what had happened with Taylor.

“Do you wish it would’ve? Like, looking back, do you wish you would’ve done something to make it happen?” he dropped his fork to speak to me.

“Life really sucks ass sometimes,” I sighed. “And back then, I would’ve done anything to be with that person. Now? I don’t really regret anything because I don’t feel like I did anything wrong. Everything happens for a reason; even if it’s something that isn’t necessarily what you
wanted – but you have to live with it. If I’m meant to be with that person; fate will bring us back.”

“You’re very wise for your age,” he responded as he took his last bite of food. “Has anyone ever told you that you’re an old soul?”

“A lot of my teachers have made comments on it,” I shrugged. “I guess I am a bit; but I can still be a kid when I want.”

Jeff then took his plate and mug to the kitchen sink. He rinsed it off before coming and doing the same thing with my dirty dishes. I soon joined by picking up the pans I used and put them in the overly-clean white sink.

“Have you ever been in a serious relationship, Jeff?” I looked up at him to ask. “I mean, did you have someone in your life you really loved?”

“To be completely honest with you? No, I haven’t,” he began. “I dated a girl in high school for a year and a half, but we knew it would come to an end. It was really fun and she was a great girl; but I knew we weren’t meant to be together forever. So, I suppose I’m stuck with looking.”

“Oh, you’ll find someone though. One day, some girl will pick you right up,” I replied. “You will find the one.”

“And one day, you will too,” he nudged me. “And tomorrow, I will make breakfast for you.”
I smiled at him as we continued to clean the dishes and put them away. Every so often he would nudge me and smile with his white, shiny teeth and I would always smile back. It was nice to know that there was someone there for me now; even if we weren’t completely friends yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys :)! So, I know this chapter isn't too fun or anything; but it needs to happen to get everything going and a relationship has to form between the two of course :). Last night I actually got really bored and planned the rest of the story out - all 41 chapters and I have so much planned! I think you all will really love it - and I'm excited to rant it :). So - HUGE thanks to you commenters and subscribers :). It means so much to me, you have no idea. Keep it up :D!