Feather

g a m e s .

I felt ridiculous.

Even as Connor and Ray played video games on Ray's X-Box 360, I couldn't help but think about what I had done at dinner. I shouldn't have said the things that I had. I shouldn't have treated my parents like that. They deserved better.

"Kaylie," Ray called my name in a sing-song voice. I looked at my friend and managed a smile that I knew Ray wouldn't believe. "What did I tell you the rules of my apartment are?" she asked arching an eyebrow.

The smile that made it's way to my lips was very real. "Smile. Relax. No Problems in the door with you."

"Exactly!" Ray cried with a silly chuckle. "Now, after I kick Connor's ass, you are going to play me and get your ass kicked too," she said with a smug look on her face.

"So is that why Connor's about to beat you?" I asked pointing to her television screen.

Ray spun back around and started yelling at the game and Connor both as she flailed almost comically trying to retake her place as the winner of the game. I watched my friends wistfully as they played their game. I couldn't keep this up. I had to do something. Too bad I couldn't figure out what in the world I was supposed to do about everything.

A controller landed in my lap and I looked up to see Ray glowering at the television as Connor stared in shock. I looked between my two friends and television and the controller in my laugh before I started laughing. I would worry about making amends with my parents in the morning.