Under A Paper Moon.

I Lost All Faith In This Burning Light.

I didn't leave my house for almost five days since Jack came over.

Yes, Ciara was here and she was almost content with staying indoors, but she declared that she was missing the excitement of Maryland. Which wasn't much, Huntington was far more exciting. She just wanted me to move my limbs. Alex also came over. Every single day, which wasn't really much. I think he was getting rather irritated though.

I attempted in cutting myself off from Jack until I calmed down; failed miserably. I answered the phone to him once but I stayed relatively quiet. On his end of the line, he mumbled apologies and plans to go out to make it up to me. But it was one of those situations where no matter what happens in the end they're always be an empty void. And no matter what could be fixed or what could happen there will always be an awkwardness to it.

"I think you should talk to him." Ciara sighed and sat down beside me on the couch. I rolled my eyes and stiffly moved my legs to drape them over her lap. I ran my hand under my shirt to feel the baby lightly prod my stomach with it's foot. I smiled, she's been doing that a lot in the recent weeks, up to a month ago. It's weird, but it's the weird thing that you love.

"But I don't want to." I mumbled and rubbed my tired eyes.

"But the longer you wait it out the less likely it will be fixed. You miss him right? And c'mon you know that he was drunk off his ass. That means something is up. Just, say what you feel but at the same time don't waste your breath." Ciara looked over at me and rubbed my leg. I nodded slowly.

"I don't know. I might call him la-"

"You will call him now, and you will fix things. If you know deep down that you really do love him, and he loves you, fate is meant to bring you two together." She smiled and I chuckled.

"I don't believe in fate."

"Yes you do, so go upstairs and get ready and call him. I'll hang out with Alex for a little while." She smiled and patted my legs. I groaned and stood up, placing a hand on my back to attempt in easing the striking pain parachuting along my spine.

"I'll give him a call then, I guess." I licked my lips and left the living room. Ciara had a look of triumph and pulled her phone out of her pant's pocket before vigorously texting someone. More than likely Alex, as she said she would hang out with him.

I moved away from the living room and shakily walked up the stairs, my hand was wrapped tightly around the banister. Now I was always constantly scared that I would fall; I've been taking a lot of precautions. I moved to my room after hitting the last step and shrugging on some new clothes.

I pulled my phone away from it's charger and my heart instantly began to throb. I mean, do I really want to do this? He should come over and try to fix things. He didn't attempt to in the past few days. I don't want to seem desperate no matter how much I love him. But do you really know love when you're this young?

I sighed and prodded his number into the stiff keys. What would I say to him? Or do I just let him talk? I pressed the call button and pressed the small device to my ear, my breathing quickened, so fast that it was almost a pant. My legs shook and I had an urge to fumble with my hands.

"Hello?" His voice rang in my head. He sounded groggy, that he had a strep throat. Jack also sounded tired and distraught. I let out a shaky breath, "Hello?"

"Uhm, hi." I whispered and bit my lip.

"Rayne?" He mumbled but sounded more alert.

"Yeah, hi-"

"Oh my God, where have you been? I haven't heard from you in days. Do you know how freakin' worried I was? I was so scared. Are you okay? You're sti-"

"Jack, Jack, I'm fine. Uh, I wanted to talk to you."

His breath quickened and he gulped rather loudly, "About last week? I'm so sorry I didn't mean any of it. Just.. Thing's haven't been right for me at home."

I nodded, knowing that he couldn't see me, I stayed quiet for a few minutes. The more the time grew the more an awkward, unbreakable silence occurred. I shook my head, "Do you want to meet up or something?"

"Uh, em, Yeah. I'd love to, when and where?"

I bit my lip, "That little coffee shop that you guys play at sometimes, at around three?"

"Okay, that sounds good. See you then, Ray."

I nodded and hing up the phone, not giving a reply. I ran my hands over my face and back through my hair, I'm pretty sure I'm about to make the biggest mistake of my life.
Or maybe the perfect beginning, a new chapter.

~*~


I sat in the coffee shop and played with the spoon drooping out of my cup. I picked at the danish I bought and nervously tugged on the scarf around my neck.
I sat back in the booth, Jack was supposed to be here twenty minutes ago. Needless to say I was slowly but surely losing hope that he would come. I sighed and stared at the wooden table in front of me. I smiled looking over the engraved words. Some of hate, some of love, and some that were just plain disgusting.

"Uh, sorry I'm late, I got caught up with my dad." Jack loomed over me and I glanced up with a fake smile tugging against my lips. I nodded and he sat across from me. His hair was stuck to his forehead due to the rain outside. His jacket and shirt were stained with rain and his face was meek. I took in all his features as he spoke to the waitress. My eyes welled with tears, so once again, I took interest in the table.

"I thought you weren't going to come." I mumbled and picked on the sleeve of my jumper.

"I'm sorry, I just- At home it isn't really great at the moment." He spoke, seeming already agitated. I bit my lip and nodded.

"Do you wanna ta-"

"No."

I looked up and my feet shuffled under the table. This isn't the Jack I know, or knew, this was a shell of Jack.

"I'm sorry, about.. Everything." I mumbled and sunk back in the chair. His eyes were set on the window looking out on the dull life of Baltimore.

"I'm sorry too, I didn't mean any of those things. Okay? I was being an asshole and I- I didn't mean any of that, at all. I just-"

"You're repeating yourself." I giggled and he smiled then, but it didn't reach his eyes.

"I know, I know. I just don't know how to make it up to you."

"Tell me you love me." I bit my lip and looked into his brown orbs. His Adam's Apple moved as he swallowed a gulp of his tea and he played with his fingers. It stayed silent for a few moments, and the longer time grew out the more hopeless and irritated I felt. The hustle of cups clanking and the loud steam of food and coffee roared. It filled my ears.

"I love you." He whispered and reached across the table to pull my hands into his warm one's. I smiled slightly and dipped my head down and back up again.

"I love you too," I smiled and glanced out the window to see a new car pull up and park, I looked back at Jack, "But I want to take things slow. I don't want it to be like nothing ever happened you know?"

He nodded, "I understand."

I smiled and kissed his knuckles and looked up at teh person who stopped in front of our table. Ursela.
I haven't seen or heard from her in a few weeks so I thought she eventually backed off, then again, everything is too good to be true.

"Hello, fancy seeing you two here." She smiled and placed her hands on the table, leaning down, "Haven't see you in a while."

"What do you want?" I rolled my eyes and she raised her eyebrows.

"Nothing, just thought I'd say hi." She smirked and looked at Jack before picking up her bag and walking away. I turned around and watched her leave. She walked away to sit at a table with her minions, engulfing in a very animated conversation. My brows creased into a straight line as her vision caught mine and she waved.

"That was weird." I turned back to Jack and he nodded slowly, his facial expression mirrored mine.

"Very."

After another fourty minutes of discreet conversation and coffee we decided to leave. I waited patiently outside for Ciara to come pick me up. The rain subsided to a drizzled and matted my face. I smiled and closed my eyes momentarily before opening them again.

"I'm glad we did this." Jack murmured and stood in front of me.

"Same, I think the longer it would have dragged out the more damage it would cause," I nodded, "Then again Ciara insisted on this."

He chuckled, "So I have to get home."

I nodded, "Ciara and probably Alex will be here in a few. I'll talk to you later. I really missed you, Rayne."

"I missed you too, Jack." I whispered and looked down at the rubble surrounding my feet.

"Bye." His voice mathced mine as he leaned in to kiss me, but I moved my face to the side so he pecked me on the cheek. When he pulled away his eyes showed that he was hurt, but then again, he understood.

"Bye." I nodded and he walked away and got into his car.

I waved as he pulled out of the parking space and away from the coffee shop. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my chest. But then again it could all start to be crumbling down.