‹ Prequel: Passion

Written in the Stars

I'm starring at the mess I made

As soon as I arrived in L.A. the team agent called me extremely happy with my performance on set, actually I received tons of congratulations from everyone expect my coaches. They were pissed that I took a week off to go to NYC for an interview; they spent a whole hour chewing my ass out for being irresponsible. I’m Cam Henderson the best bitch in baseball I can miss a few practices; they can get the stick out of their ass.

“Luke, please bro, I need comfort food and a friend right now.” I wined over the phone just getting out of the meeting interrogation with Coach Tim.

“I’ll meet you at your place in ten.”

“I love you.”

Sure enough, Luke was standing on my front porch with a greasy bag and two sodas in ten minutes. I quickly open the door and let him in, the smells coming from the bag were to die for, I wanted to rip open the bag and forget about the stupid comments.

“What did you bring me?” I asked taking one of the cherry cokes from his hand.

“Two Cheesy mac n rib from the Grilled Cheese truck.” He handed me my two sandwiches.

I moaned out in satisfaction, “Seriously you’re the best.” I took a huge bite out of my sandwich moaning in pleasure again. “I love you bro,” I told him with my mouth full.

He laughed shaking his head before starting to eat his own sandwich, “So what’s up?”

“Coach Tim’s pissed that I missed a few practices to go to NYC,” I told him shrugging. “It’s not a big deal.”

“Cam,” Luke sighed, “It is a big deal.”

I stopped eating and I stared at him, “What? You’re on his side?”

“I’m not on anybody’s ‘side’, I’m simply telling you that baseball weather you acknowledge it or not is your job for the time being and while your working you cant randomly take vacations.”

I stared at him in disbelief, “It was for work.”

“No. It was for you to promote yourself. Now there’s nothing wrong with that, I mean we’ve all done it before, but you can’t just do it during season.”

“Why are you always against me?!” I screamed out at him, he stared at me like I was a crazy bitch, and right now I sure felt like one.

“Cam your one of my best friends,” he told me bluntly shrugging his shoulders.

I gave him a humorless laugh, “Best friends don’t make them room with their ex lovers, and then make them feel like shit when they move out; best friends don’t try and convince their best friends to go back to their mistakes instead of trying to work something out with someone who is good for them. And best friends sure as hell don’t chew their ass out when all their friend is looking for is a fucking friend.” Luke was speechless, he could find words to form and he sat their staring at me. “Get out.”

“Cam don’t be like thi—“

“GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY APARTMENT!” I screamed, Luke slowly got up and walked to the door. He opened it taking one last look at me before shaking his head and walked straight out. Once the door was shut I let myself crumble to the grown in tears.

Image


“Game day, you sure your up to it Cam?” Coach Rob asked me, sticking his head into the batting changes where I was currently taking out my frustrations with a bat.

I rolled my eyes ever since I missed those two practices it seems like I’m the weak-link on the team, which I’m most definitely not. “Beyond ready,” I told him getting a nice pitch sending it back to the machine hard.

“Just making sure, don’t want an injured player.”

Again I rolled my eyes, “Thanks for the concern.” I told him with no emotion in my voice.

I took a few more cuts before heading out to the field as the stadium started filling up with the fans. I grabbed my glove, ignoring the stares that burning through the back of my head, and headed out to the field. “Where do you think your going Henderson?” Head Coach Mike asked me.

“To the field,” I replied with a duh.

“No you aren’t,” He told me his frown permanently stained into his face.

I walked closer to him with a scowl on my face, “What are you talking about?”

“You missed practice therefore your not playing,” He told me before trying to turn away from me, to bad for him I wasn’t one for taking no for an answer.

“I think you’re mistaken,” I followed him keeping up with his quick pace. “I may have missed a few practices due to personal matters but I still play better than have the boys on the starting line-up. If you want to lose this game, then by all means take me out but if you want to win I will be starting and finishing this game.”

“Did you just imply that you are the sole reason this team wins?” Coach Mike asked raising an eye-brow.

Before I could make a smart-ass reply Coach Tim cut me off, “Cam get your glove and a catcher your staring pitching.” Coach Mike looked furious.

“Tim, you know she missed pr—“

Coach Tim waved his hand silencing him, “I know, I know, but I don’t have any other choice, Rodgers just called in sick. Apparently the flu is going around.” With that Coach Tim walked away to attend to any other emergencies. I looked at Coach Mike who looked livid that I ended up starting and I smirked.

“Great talk,” I patted his beer belly before walking off. I silently laughed picturing him with steam coming out of his ears, take that one fat ass!

Image


It was the bottom of the ninth inning and we were losing, big time. Against one of the supposedly easiest teams of the year, my pitching was off but it wasn’t my entire fault. I mean the guys are acting like they’ve never played a Major League game before, it’s sad. I feel like I have to pick up the pieces and win this game by myself.

“Come on Cam, I just ask for one fuckin’ strike!” Coach Tim yelled, obviously not pleased with my performance. He should get off my back and worry about the others. I rolled my eyes and pitched the ball again, another ball. The bases were loaded now, I let an angry sigh escape my mouth.

“Time out,” Luke called. I gave him an annoyed look, I wasn’t in the mood to have a powwow with him.

“What?” I asked coldly. “I’m doing just fine; only if the infield would clean up their work then we wouldn’t be in the mess!” I hissed.

“Wrong, you have let your so-called fame go straight to your head. What happened to the Cam who loved the passion of baseball not the fame of it?” I didn’t have an answer for him so I just stood there with my hands crossed over my chest. “Get it together Henderson; we have a game to win.”

We didn’t win the game, not by a long shot. It was the worst game of my entire life, I was humiliated and tired, all I wanted to do was take a hot bath and go to sleep but no. We had a press conference after the game. I walked into the room after getting changed back into my regular clothes; I stopped short listening to what they were saying.

“So Mr. Rodriguez, the LA Dodgers are known nation-wide as being one of the teams to beat this year, yet it seemed today that, that wasn’t the case. Care to explain?” The snobby looking reporter asked, sticking her microphone into his face.

“No problem, see before we were a team that worked well together and you could tell from the way we played on the field. Obviously today that wasn’t the case; there was no communication and no effort.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“Now one of your newest additions to the team, Camille Henderson, was your pitcher today and I think we can all agree that today wasn’t her best day. Could you agree that she single-handily let the team down?” I gasped shocked that someone would even think that.

“No I don’t think she single-handily let the team down. However I think she let the aspects of ‘being the best’ go to her head. I really don’t think she understands the different between being confident and being arrogant.”

“Thank you for your time Mr. Rodriguez,” The reporter smiled satisfied with the information she got, while I was devastated.

Losing the game was my entire fault.
♠ ♠ ♠
So were a little bit more than half way done with this story (I think)
So I would like some more loooooove (:
Please?

Stay beautiful! <3