Status: A work in progress.

Acerbus

Chapter 1 Living in darkness.

I stared across the ocean, as the sky was turning gray. Wondering how I got here, thinking about my life.

I stared down at my arm, brushing a finger over the scars there wondering what compelled me to put them there, and wondered why such an addiction seemed to come and go for me.

I wondered why there was such an emptiness in my heart that seemed to grow and expand, like a small empty universe.

As I realized the time, my thoughts drifted away from my solitude and I knew it was time to depart. Heading home seemed to be the worse part. Walking through the small town that I lived in.

As I walked the empty streets, I walked past the park, I noticed a group of people sitting around talking and having the time of there lives.

Among them I noticed was a girl, I recognized her immediately. The love of my life, sadly she did not love me in return.

A tear ran down my face as I walked by, my heart leaping at the sight of her, then slowly dieing. The same cycle each time I lay my eyes upon her.

Seeing my home in the distance, I took a glance back. As suspected a tall figure, dressed in dark seemed to follow me. I only recently noticed him when my life seemed to go to hell. Every time my home came into view, I felt him behind me following me until I neared, then he would simply disappear.

I could not tell if the person was a figment of my imagination, or a real person who fancied following me. I did not care either way.

Entering my home, I realized right away that there was no one present. A note sat upon the table, I passed it by not reading it, I could care less where there at right now. They will return home eventually, they always do.

I immediately went to the window, the dark figure standing in the yard, A part of me wanted to wave to him, but I did not want to attract unwanted attention.

Sighing I decided if I just went to bed, hopefully I wont feel like complete shit in the morning.
--------------

I was awaken the next morning by the suns early morning rays upon my face. I cursed myself for not closing the curtain so I could sleep at least an extra hour.

Figuring I was already awake I decided that I would not fight it anymore and I would get up and get ready for the day.

As I finished showering and began to prepare some type of breakfast for myself I noticed the house was silent.

I took a look at the note which read that they would not be home until tomorrow evening. They did not say where they went. I noticed a red stain at the bottom of the paper, thinking it could be anything I dismissed it throwing the note away.

I smiled to myself thinking I was free for a while. Perhaps I would head to the beach and enjoy some solitude out in the sun before people started showing up.

Grabbing a banana I began my trek through the town, which was beginning to awaken, people drove by waving to me, and I politely waved back.

As I neared the beach I began peeling my banana and slowly started nibbling on it, savoring every little bite.

When I arrived I was greeted by a wonderful cool breeze that I savored sweetly. For a few seconds I felt rather alive.

Sitting upon a bench I stared at the horizon watching the sun start its ascent toward the cloudless sky.

As I sat a while I noticed I was not alone, irritated thinking that the kids probably come early I turned to see if my suspicions were correct.

To my surprise it was the same dark figure who seemed to follow me around. I sighed wishing he would go away. I turned my gaze back toward the rising sun hoping he would eventually loose interest and depart but deep down I knew that was only wishful thinking.

To my dissatisfaction he walked toward me and sat next to me on the bench, I tried not to turn his way but I did, and noticed that up close he looked rather beaten.

He was skinny and looked tired but I could somehow sense he was a force to be reckoned with. How I knew such a thing about him was beyond me, it was as if I could sense his strength.

I slowly turned my gaze upon the horizon ignoring him completely, if he had something to say, I had a while before I would eventually be annoyed by the kids that would arrive soon and head somewhere else to find solitude.

We sat there together for some time, I could tell it was nearing the noon hour by the way the sun was positioned and my stomach being a friendly reminder.

The man in the dark attire spoke for the first time, his voice was rather harsh and I could tell he was loosing it. “Your parents are dead.”

The words barley registered at first, I figured I perhaps misheard him but after he said nothing more it became apparent that what he was speaking was the truth.

“Have you come to finish me off as well?” I asked him.

“No.” He replied again in a harsh voice.

I looked at him. “Then what good are you?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be apperciated :)