Can't Dream Without You

Bittersweet

I saw Val’s eyes tear up as Matt broke the news to her. “I don’t want you to be my girlfriend anymore” she completely broke down. We all smiled at her as Matt got down on one knee, “I want you to be my wife.”
She punched him. “You asshole! I don’t want to be either!”
We were all shocked. “What?!” Matt was confused.
She smiled. “I want to be your everything and reason for living!” Matt hopped up and hugged her. “That’s not funny babe!”
“Yeah, it wasn’t funny for me when you pulled that stunt either!” We all applauded and hugged each other.
“Alright mother fuckers I’m the best man!!” Jimmy yelled.
“Of course he is!” Brian yelled sarcastically.
We all laughed. I was one of the last ones to congratulate Val and Matt.
“Congrats you guys! I’m so happy for you. Sorry Val we all kinda knew Matt was planning this” I laughed as she gently shoved me.
“So Mandy I want you to stick around for a bit after everyone leaves. I wanna talk to you” Val smiled.
“Ok let me just go tell Benji. He was talking about wanting to go over to my house.”
She nodded and I went to find Benji. He was over by the keg talking to Brian and I felt the knots in my stomach as I approached them. I grabbed Benji’s arm and looked over at Brian. “Sorry I have to borrow him for a second.”
Benji looked worried. “What? I didn’t do anything I swear! I wasn’t telling Syn to go push you in the pool again promise!”
“Ha you screwed up now Benji” Brian laughed when he saw the look in my eyes.
“Benj, you are such a goof. I know you know better” I joked with him.
He laughed. “So whats up? Why did you pull me away from the most exciting conversation I’ll ever have in my whole life!”
“Shut up!” I said as I slapped him. “I was just gonna tell you Val wants me to hang out for a bit after you all leave.”
He put his puppy dog face on and I had to fight every ounce of giving in to it. He just looked so cute it broke my heart. I always gave in to that face and he knew it, but this time it wasn’t gonna work.
“Sorry Benj. Can’t do it. How about you come by in the morning. We can all hang out. Bar-b-cue in the evening” I smiled at him. Jimmy walked up.
“What is that I hear? A day filled of grilling and beer? I’m there!” and he kept walking. Me and Benji both laughed at how silly Jimmy was.
“Fine. But only this once. You are not gonna flake out on me again. Cuz then I will….”
“You’ll what?” I interrupted.
“Huh?! Ok Joel I’m coming!” He started to walk off.
“WTF dude I didn’t call you go away!” I heard Joel yell as Benji was walking towards him. I laughed it off. I had two grown brothers, older than me, but yet acted like they were 5. But that’s what I loved about them.
Everyone took off and it was just me and Val. Even Matt had taken off with the guys. Val wanted to make sure we were alone. I really didn’t know why.
“So whats so important that you even drove Matt off?” I asked.
At the same time my phone went off. When I pulled it out of my pocket I saw that I had a text from Zacky… “hey just wanted to let you know you looked real good tonight. Even after the pool incident lol ;) -ZV”
“Thanks.” Was all I replied. I was gonna say something else to him but I didn’t want to seem like I was flirting and I definitely didn’t want to lead him on.
“Who was that?” Val asked.
“Oh it was Zacky. Telling me the usual.” I laughed.
“Oh.” She paused. “That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”
“What? About Zacky?” I was confused at this point. Why did she want to talk to me alone about Zacky of all people?
“Yeah. He really likes you and…”
“Ok hold on Val. I know that he likes me but I’ve already talked to him about that and all I can offer him is my friendship. He said he understood that. Even though I know he really doesn’t but still.”
“I know. But there is something you don’t know. From back when Benji first brought you around.”
I stayed quiet.
“I knew from the get go he thought you were attractive but what he told me behind closed doors changed my thoughts of it.”
“What do you mean? What did he say?”
“He asked me if it was possible to be in love with someone even though they had just met one another. By the look in his eyes he was so sincere. And you could see some hurt in them too.”
“Hurt? Why? I don’t think I did anything wrong. I mean we did just meet.”
“He knew then and knows now that you wouldn’t give him the time of day because he saw how you looked at Syn and then because of Benji.” she put her hand on my shoulder as she saw the tears begin to form in my eyes.
“I didn’t mean to. I cant help it. I’ve always thought Brian was good looking and now that we’re talking about it I have grown feelings for him.” Val wiped the tears as they ran down my cheeks. I couldn’t help but feel bad after what she had told me. I had to talk to Zacky but how was I to approach him. So I went home. I had A LOT of thinking to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's taken so long to update. and that its super short. for that i will be uploading ch. 6 also :)