‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Priorities

The slamming door reverberated throughout the large apartment. Three sets of brunette heads glanced up curiously at the creator of the disturbance. Kendall ran a hand through his dirty blond locks, storming off to his bedroom. That door hit the frame with a bang, shaking the thin walls in the hallway. Carlos, Logan, and James exchanged a look before tumbling off of the couches and tripping over each other as they ran to the shut door. Logan knocked hesitantly, the others peering over his shoulder.

“Kendall, you okay?” he asked, his hand landing on the shining brass knob. He tried to turn the structure, but it wouldn’t budge.

“I don’t want to talk about it!” he called back, annoyed.

“Maybe we should just leave him,” Carlos suggested, but didn’t move an inch. James nudged Logan, stepping in front of him.

“Okay dude, what happened after you and Kate left? Are you guys fighting?” Sympathy seeped through James’ voice as his fist pounded against the door. The three all jumped back as the door swung open, revealing an angry looking Kendall. His eyes were red and bloodshot, giving him a more evil appearance than ever.

“Nothing, maybe, and leave,” he said shortly, then proceeded to bang the door closed in their faces. James blinked a few times before resuming his assault on the door. Carlos and Logan pleading to be let in joined the noise. From inside the room, they heard Kendall scream before his footsteps crashed against the sandy carpeting. Again, the door swung on its hinges, but as the boys stuck their heads inside, they found Kendall lying face down on the navy comforter.

“So, you wanna tell us what’s going on?” Logan asked softly, cautiously taking a seat at the desk. James leaned against the doorway, his face a mask of concern, and Carlos seemed undecided as he took post in an egg chair in the corner.

“She knows about the tour,” he mumbled into the overstuffed pillow.

“You finally told her?” James assumed, tilting his head a bit to the side.

“On Valentine’s Day?” Carlos tacked on, shaking his head in disappointment. Kendall lifted his own head a few inches off of the sheets, just enough to glare.

“Do you think I’m a complete idiot?” he snapped, before his eyes narrowed further as Carlos opened his mouth. “Don’t answer that.”

“Well, what happened?” Logan pressed; rubbing the back of his pale neck as he raised his coffee colored eyebrows.

“Carolyn said something about it.” An extra glare was thrown James’ way.

“Hey, she didn’t know you didn’t tell her yet!” he said defensively, his hands flying in the air.

“I know. I just don’t know what to do!” He planted his face back into the bedding, a muffled shout filling the crowded room.

“Well, you should’ve told her. I mean, James and Carolyn haven’t even been dating that long, but he told her. You and Kate have been together for over a year,” Carlos pointed out, and a wounded sound escaped Kendall’s mouth.

“Dude, shut up,” Logan said softly, chucking a guitar pick at him.

“Well it’s true!” Carlos stood from his spot, walking toward the door. James put his arm out, blocking his path.

“Where are you going?” he asked casually, his hazel eyes focused Carlos.

“To call Kate. Someone has to make sure she’s okay,” he muttered before pushing his way past.

Everyone was silent until stomping was heard moments later, nearing the room at a quickening pace. Carlos’ nostrils were flaring as he reappeared, kicking the door frame. He winced before hobbling back to his spot in the chair. Everyone watched him, holding his breath as to what news he might bring. Even Kendall’s sorrowful jade eyes rested on the raven-haired boy. He continued to scowl at the ground, to the point where the silence filling the room was thick as honey, driving everyone mad.

“Are you going to tell us what the hell she said?” James exploded. The responding look in Carlos’ syrupy eyes was enough to make him glance away.

“She didn’t say anything. Because she didn’t pick up,” he growled, running his hands over his face.

“Call her again?” Logan suggested slowly, his gaze shifting between Kendall and Carlos.

“I called her. Five times. I got the machine.”

“Let me try,” Logan volunteered, pulling his gleaming black phone from the pockets of his jeans. Everyone watched him warily, not daring to speak for fear it would change the outcome. A confused look crossed his face before he pulled the phone away and redialed. He did this three more times before setting his phone on the desk in defeat.

“Machine.” All eyes were suddenly on James. He squirmed a bit before pulling his own phone to his ear. Deep down, each of them expected the outcome. Yet, when James shook his head, slipping the phone back into the pocket of his black athletic shorts, everyone was stunned.

“She’s not gonna answer,” James said gently, the words everyone was thinking. It soaked into their minds slowly as they grasped for what this meant.

“Great going. Now she’s not going to talk to any of us,” Carlos grumbled, again standing. He walked briskly to the exit, and this time, James did nothing to stop him. Logan sprung from his place, calling after him, trying to calm him down.

“This is all my fault,” Kendall whispered, flipping himself with his toned arms, his eyes watching the ceiling. James flipped his hair away from his eyes, sighing.

“Here’s the thing, Kendall. Kate’s a big part of your life, and you’re the same in hers. I think that you not telling her not only threw her off, it made her feel like she wasn’t anything compared to your job,” he said solemnly, allowing his gaze to float to the bumpy white ceiling as well.

“But she’s so much more than my job. I love her.” His voice was barely audible as the pained words escaped his frowning lips.

“I know that. And you know that. But she’s put up with so much crap this past year because of it and because she loves you, too.”

“What are you saying?” Bloodshot olive eyes made their way to the speckled hazel ones, trying to comprehend through his internal battle.

“I’m saying, Kate’s made you her priority, and all it’s done for her is hurt. If Kate’s what you want, and you want to be with her forever, you need to start putting her first.”

“So what do I do?”

“I dunno. That much is up to you.” James turned, and was halfway out the door before Kendall scrambled to sit up.

”Hey, James!” he called, freezing the chestnut haired boy in his tracks. His head turned slowly, his bushy eyebrows raised.

“What’s up?”

“When did you become the relationship expert?” For the first time in hours, a smirk found its way on Kendall’s lips. James rolled his eyes, the hues of browns and greens fading into each other.

“When you started being an idiot,” he shrugged. A chuckle escaped from his mouth as Kendall’s jaw dropped and he struggled for words. “You guys will figure it out, Kendall. And once you do, let me know, ‘cause it’s exhausting stepping in your shoes as relationship-advice-giver.”

“You can leave now,” Kendall demanded, the pillow he had been wallowing in suddenly flashing as a blue blur as it collided with James smug expression. Needless to say the look disappeared after that.

“Yeah, you’re welcome. Way to thank me,” he huffed, shutting the door behind him with a final sympathetic look, leaving Kendall alone with his thoughts and regrets.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, updates will be returning to normal again. I'm back(: Tired, but back. Haha.

So, do you think Carlos is right to be mad?
Do you think Kate will forgive them?
And what about James as the love expert?

Thanks for sticking with me, guys. While I was gone, I reached over 50 readers on this story. Your support means the world to me<3

xxxo, Sara