Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

22

I opened my eyes the next morning and blinked against the bright sunlight that shone in my eyes through the open curtains. I started to stretch and yawn when I suddenly realized that I had no clue where I was. And there was an arm thrown across my waist that was, obviously, not mine.
Raising my head a little, I squinted down at the hand and let my eyes wander up the tattooed arm until I looked beside me to see Syn resting on his stomach, mouth slightly open in sleep.
We must be at his place, I thought as I lay back down, not wanting to wake him. I tried to remember how I got here, but it was pointless. All I knew was after climbing through Johnny’s second story window and almost killing myself, I had hit the drinks again to continue the celebration of being eighteen.
“Trying to figure out how you got here, huh?” Syn mumbled from beside me and I turned to smile at him.
“How did I get here?”
He moved a little closer, sliding his hand along my waist until it rested on my hip.
“You passed out on the coffee table, so I thought it was time to take you home.”
“But I’m not home.” I pointed out, thinking he looked unbelievably cute, lying towards me with his eyes closed as he talked to me.
He shrugged one shoulder and grinned. “Mi casa, su casa.”
I laughed and he opened his eyes to look at me. “You aren’t hungover?”
I shook my head and he huffed.
“What?”
“With the amount of alcohol you had last night, you should at least have a headache.” He said matter-of-factly.
“Well, are you hungover?”
“No, I didn’t drink that much.” He said on a yawn, raising himself up to rest on his side. When he was settled, we were considerably closer together and our legs touched.
I didn’t think anything of it, until I realized that he wasn’t wearing a shirt. And though I still had mine on, I wasn’t wearing any pants.
Feeling a little panicked, I pushed back the covers and saw that my bottom half was only clad in the booty-short underwear I had worn yesterday. And he was only in his boxers. I knew that I should feel shocked, if not a little horrified, but somehow…I didn’t.
“Um…” I thought about how to pose the question, trying not to sound awkward, even though I knew that I would. “Where are my pants?”
I could hear the smirk in his voice as he asked, “Scared that you don’t remember what happened last night?”
I looked up at him and saw he was watching me with humor.
“I’m serious, Syn.”
He chuckled a little. “Chill out. You spilled a whole shit load of booze on your pants and got all sticky, so when I brought you back here I took them off and threw them in the washer. I wouldn’t have done anything when I knew you couldn’t remember – or be willing.”
I thought I heard a bit of frustration in his voice and put my hand on his bare shoulder.
“I know you wouldn’t have done anything, Syn.” I assured him quietly. “I didn’t mean to say that you would.”
He smiled warmly at me and pulled me closer into the circle of his warm arms.
“What time is it?” I asked, more out of curiosity than necessity. I really didn’t care what time it was; I was content to lie there in his arms for the rest of my life.
“About ten, I guess.” He yawned again. “You want to get up and I’ll take you out for breakfast?”
I nodded vehemently and he laughed.
“Okay. Go clean up, and I’ll get your pants from downstairs.” He kissed the tip of my nose, then pulled himself out of bed and left the room.
I think I had a permanent smile on my ace as I pulled myself out of bed and went into the bathroom, closing the door behind me.
I somehow managed to take my make-up off with just water and the washcloth and because I didn’t have a toothbrush there, I resigned to using mouthwash at least five times to get rid of the taste of alcohol and sleep.
Pulling the hair-tie off my wrist, I put my hair up into a high, messy tail and was walking out when I saw Syn sitting on the bed, just hanging up the phone.
“That was Emma. She and the guys are going to meet us for lunch, so we have time to swing past your place so you can take a shower, if you want.”
I nodded in agreement, and tried my best to hide my disappointment at not being alone with him this morning.
Syn didn’t notice and stood from the bed, handing the jeans to me.
“I threw them in the dryer for a few minutes, they should be okay. I’m going to take a quick shower and then we’ll go, okay?”
I nodded and stood at the foot of the bed, stepping into my jeans and thinking about what was going on between us. Were we just friends, or…
My cell phone rang from somewhere around the room and I searched for it, swearing under my breath as it continued to ring and ring. I finally found it underneath the bed – how it got there, I had no idea – and flipped it open to answer it.
“Hello?”
“Took you long enough to answer.” Emma said rather snottily.
“Sorry, I couldn’t find my phone. What’s up?” I leaned against the side of the bed and continued to sit on the floor, too lazy to get up.
“How was your night?” She asked slyly and I smiled a little.
“I should be asking you that. Did you get yourself some Vengeance?”
She laughed. “Bet your ass, I did. And it was good Vengeance, too.” She almost purred and I rolled my eyes.
“Okay, too much information.”
She laughed again. “Where is he?”
“In the shower.”
“Again?” She squealed. “Katie, darling, you’ve got to learn to stop missing the opportunity – “
“Oh, shut-up.”
“So he told you that we’re all meeting for lunch in a couple hours?”
“Yeah, we’re going to stop of at my place first so I can get ready.”
I glanced up as Syn came in the room, wearing jeans and a belt, but no shirt. His hair was still a little wet, showing the way it curled around his ears and at the base of his neck. The muscles in his back and arms flexed as he opened his closet to pull out a shirt and I dragged my eyes away, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.
“What?” I stammered, vaguely aware that she was asking me a question.
“Are you going to take a shower?” She repeated.
“Yeah, probably…” I caught on to the way she was laughing and felt my blush deepen as I shouted into the phone, “Shut the fuck up, Emma!”
She just laughed harder and louder, so I hung up on her.
“What’s going on?”
I turned to see that Syn was fully dressed and positioning a hat over his head, turning the bill to the side to show off the black and white patterned bandana he wore underneath.
“Nothing.” I lied. “She’s just being a jackass.”
He nodded and grabbed his keys and phone from the dresser. “Ready?”
I nodded and pulled myself to my feet, picking up my sweater from the floor, stepping into my shoes and following him downstairs.