Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

23

“Is your dad home?” Syn asked as he pulled into my driveway.
“No, his truck’s gone.” I said casually, already knowing he probably crashed at a friend’s last night after another round of boozing.
We both got out and we entered the silent house and I dropped my keys onto the side table, kicking off my shoes as I turned to look at him.
“You don’t mind if I take a quick shower, do you?”
He turned to look at me blankly, as if he hadn’t heard what I’d said, but then he turned away really quickly.
“No, not at all.” He cleared his throat. “We still have a couple of hours to kill, so take your time.”
“I’ll be fast.” I promised. “I don’t want to keep you waiting too long.”
“No big deal. I’ll just hang out down here; watch some TV, if that’s okay.”
I nodded and left him, promising once more that I wouldn’t take too long.
“If you want anything from the kitchen, just help yourself.” I added over my shoulder and he nodded.
I ran up the stairs and started pulling my shirt off as soon as I got into my room, kicking my door shut and grabbing some clothes to change into before heading across the hall to take the quickest shower of my life.
Once finished, I dried my hair but only bothered to straighten my bangs, letting the rest of it curl about my shoulders. Thinking I didn’t have enough time for make-up, I decided to keep it simple and after putting on my face powder, I applied mascara to each eye and a little bit of lip gloss.
Once done I dressed in jeans and a long white tank, pulling a teal hooded sweater over my head because it seemed a little chilly today – and I had to fill the obsession of covering up my arms.
Hearing the TV from downstairs, I rushed back into my room to put on my jewelry and grab some socks before I went down to meet him in the living room.
“Ready!” I called, seeing him standing in front of the mantel and studying the pictures across it.
He turned to look at me in shock. “That was speedy.”
“I am Speedy Gonzales.”
He laughed, and then pointed to a picture. “Is this your sister?”
I moved to stand beside him and looked at the picture he was pointing at, which had been taken at my sister’s eighteenth birthday party, which had been thrown for her by her friends from school. We had our arms around each other and because of the height difference, she had her chin resting on the top of my head as we both smiled happily for the camera.
“Yeah, that’s Kelly at her eighteenth birthday.” I answered, frowning at it.
Only a few weeks after that picture was taken, she would pack her things and leave me and my father, never to come back or even call.
“How old were you here?”
“Fourteen.”
“Wow.” He looked at the picture again, then smiled down at me. “You were a cute kid.”
Knowing he was joking, I pushed my shoulder into his arm and flopped down on the couch with a dry, “Thanks. Just what every girl wants to hear.”
He laughed and sat down, turning to face me.
“You were a cute kid,” He said again, but more seriously. “But now you’re a beautiful girl.”
I smiled up at him, and said with sincerity, “Thank you, Syn.”
He smiled and shook his head. “Call me Brian.”
I nodded and then we both turned to watch whatever was on FUSE. I wasn’t really paying attention; out of the corner of my eye, I could see him looking at me every few minutes before he would look away again, as if he didn’t want me to catch him. I felt my heart start to pound, but not just because of his glances; because that’s how I always felt whenever I was around him.
He sighed and shifted on the couch, somehow settling closer to me than before.
“I’ve been thinking.” He announced and I turned to look at him.
“About what?”
“About you. And me.” He took a deep breath before raising his eyes to mine and smirking. “What would you say if I asked you to be my girlfriend?”
I smiled back, even as my heart completely skipped a beat and I blushed. “I don’t know, you haven’t asked me.”
Emma would have been really proud of me for that one.
The smirk widened and he leaned forward, putting his hand on my knee. “Katie, will you be my girlfriend?”
It was kind of hard to think, much less speak, when his mouth was barely an inch away from mine. I stared into his eyes as his soft breath brushed across my lips and whispered, “Okay.”
He flashed a wide grin before I closed my eyes as he kissed me.