Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

44

I followed Jen into the bathroom and saw her leaning against the wall, her head bowed as she cried.
“Hey, what’s the matter?” I asked, crossing over to her to put my hands on her arms.
She said something but I couldn’t tell what it was because she was crying too hard.
“What?”
She sniffed and pulled her head up to look at me, her face tearstained and red. “I just saw Tim.”
“Tim’s here?” I frowned. “Did you two have a fight?”
She shook her head. “No, he was with someone else.”
I gaped at her. “You mean – “
“He was practically fucking some girl against the wall.” She said angrily, pushing away from the wall to pace the floor.
I sighed and leaned against the sink counter, crossing my arms. “I’m sorry, Jen.”
“How could he do that?” She cried. “He said he loved me. He told me that he…how could he…” She lowered her head to cry again and I went over to hug her, letting her head drop onto my shoulder.
The door burst open then and Emma came in with Val right behind her.
“What happened?” Emma demanded, putting her hands on Jen’s shoulders to turn her around.
“She saw Tim with someone else.” I answered flatly.
Em looked at me with wide eyes, and stayed awkwardly silent as she brushed the hair off Jen’s shoulders.
“That’s shitty, Jen, I’m sorry.” Val said, breaking the silence as she took my place against the counter.
She nodded and sighed. “It’s okay, we were kind of having problems anyway. I just didn’t think it would hurt so much.” She admitted and I stepped away to lean against the wall.
“Did you know the girl he was with?” Emma asked.
“No. No, I didn’t know the bitch.” Jen sniffed and wiped her cheeks. “We’re definitely done now. I can’t believe I trusted him.”
I felt Emma’s eyes on me, but didn’t look at her.
Jen noticed my silence and turned to look at me. “What’s wrong with you?”
I shook my head, and Emma answered. “She kind of knows what you’re feeling right now, Jen.”
There was silence before Jen huffed. “Thank you for throwing that in my face, Emma.”
“I didn’t mean to throw it in your face, Jen, I’m just saying she sympathizes with you.”
Jen shook her head. “No, she doesn’t know what I’m going through.”
I looked up at her then. “Excuse me?”
“This is different, Katie, and you know it.”
“You’re right, it is different.” Emma agreed, crossing her arms as she stared in anger at Jen. “Tim was only making out with this girl, whereas you actually had sex with her boyfriend.”
“Emma – “ I tried to stop the fight from starting, but I should have known better.
“Are you guys going to throw that at me every fucking time something happens, every time I do something wrong?” Jen demanded, walking to the sink to turn the water on as Val quietly slipped out of the room. “Because I don’t think you should, especially when Katie forgave me.”
“I forgave you because you’re my friend.” I said quietly. “Aaron and I had only been together for a few months, but I had known you for years. I figured that you were more deserving of a second chance.”
“Do you still think that?” Jen asked, turning to face me defiantly.
I opened my mouth to say more, but shut it, knowing that I would probably regret whatever it was. I shook my head and pushed away from the wall to walk out the door.
“I don’t want to talk about this.” I said warily as I left, leaving them to hash it out.
I made my way to the doors, smiling at Bobby as I passed and pausing at the end of the sidewalk, breathing in deeply before looking for my boyfriend. I saw him with the others, standing near the edge of the building, and they were all watching me.
I started to walk towards them when I heard Jen calling my name and came to an abrupt stop when she was suddenly in front of me.
“Don’t walk away from me.” She snapped, out of breath from running to catch up to me.
“I don’t want to talk about it, Jen.”
“But I want to talk about it.” She insisted, crossing her arms defiantly.
I huffed and pushed past her, accidentally bumping my shoulder against hers as I passed. “Talk to yourself then.”
I made it to the guys and stood in between Zacky and Matt, my arms crossed.
“Everything okay?” Brian asked slowly and I nodded, even though everyone could obviously tell that everything was not okay.
“What’s Jen saying?” Matt asked.
I sighed. “Nothing, she wants to talk about what happened between her and Aaron.”
Brian was incredulous. “Why the fuck does she want to talk about that? She’s the one that screwed up.”
“I know. She’s just being a bitch.” I muttered, looking at the cigarette dangling between Johnny’s fingers.
“I heard that.” Jen accused and I looked to see she was walking towards me.