Status: On Hold.

Well, Maybe a Little Bit

Chapter Five

I avoided everyone for the next few days, locked in my room, trying to fight the evil inside me. Legolas and Gimli visited my door many times a day, but I did not dare open it. I no longer trusted what came out of my mouth.
I had my hood up as I walked near the entrance of the stone hall. Legolas was there but he did not talk to me. He watched me pace the ground, staring at the stone below my feet. The commotion from the streets below pulled me from my concentration. I gazed over the steps and saw Aragorn riding up through the small city.
"He's alive," a woman cried with disbelief.
Aragorn dismounted his horse and Gimli shoved through the people. "Where is he? Where is he? Get out of my way! I'm going to kill him!" Gimli stopped before Aragorn. "You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless man I ever knew. Bless you, laddie," Gimli ended with a hug.
Aragorn patted his back and then pulled away, "Gimli, where is the king?"
Gimli nodded toward where Legolas and I stood. Aragorn pushed through the people and quickly walked up the steps. Legolas and I stopped him outside the door.
"You're late," Legolas said in Elvish. Both he and Aragorn held a smile. "You look terrible." They laugh and then Legolas handed Aragorn the Evenstar.
"Thank you." Aragorn then eyed me, "Still hiding behind that hood of yours I see, Ireth Elensar."
I fell to my knees and bowed my head, "I do not wish for you to see my shameful face, My Lord. For I have done nothing but bring fear and sadness to all of those who meet me."
"Ireth," Aragorn cooed lifting me back to my feet. "You will not take responsibility for what has happened. Not to me, not to Boromir, nor to anything that shall pass. These things are done for a reason. Mine I must speak with the king about. Join me."
Legolas and I followed Aragorn inside, joined by Gimli. Aragorn then proceeded to tell the king about the army Saruman as commanded to attack here.
"A great host, you say?" Theoden asked, keeping his back to us.
"All Isengared is emptied," Aragorn frowned.
"How many?" Theoden asked.
"Ten thousand strong, at least."
Theoden turned. "Ten thousand?" he whispered.
"It is an army bred for a single purpose. To destroy the world of Men." Theoden said nothing. "They will be here by nightfall."
"Let them come!" Theoden growled stalking off to the bridges. "I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms, to be ready for battle by nightfall," he spoke to one guard before taking us outside the gate. "We will cover the cause way and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot in the Hornburg!"
"This is no rabble of mindless Orcs," Gimli grunted. "These are Uruk-hai. Their armor thick and their shields broad."
Theoden glared at Gimli, "I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own Keep." Theoden shoved by him and walked up to one of the higher levels. "They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn. We've seen it before. Crops can be resown, homes rebuilt. With in these walls, we will outlast them."
Aragorn shook his head, "They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy it's people, down to the last child."
Theoden grabbed Aragorn's shirt. "What would you have me do?" he hissed. "Look at my men, their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make it such an end, as to be worthy to remembrance."
"Send out riders, my lord," Aragorn shot back. "You must call for aide."
"And who will come?" he snaps. "Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead."
"Gondor will answer."
"Gondor?!" he shouts. "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?! Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?! Where was Gon-?!" He stopped and took a breath. "No, my lord Aragorn, we are alone."
"So you will condemn your people to death," I snap at him. "You will have no remembrance in a world that has no life. Who will remember you in a world of Sauron? Orcs? They will remember slaughtering you without mercy. They will remember you as an idiot for not calling on Gondor. You will die, Theoden, for your idiocy and I will laugh at you as you lay dying on the bodies of your people." I turn heel and stalk away. Rage clouding my brain. My eyes became clouded with hate. I stopped, clutching the wall as I tried to push away the anger.
Fire burst into my chest and I screamed in pain. I fell to my knees as the fiery eye of Sauron invaded my mind. "My Sweet Ireth. You are right, Theoden will die. By your hand," his voice echoed.
"No!" I grunted.
"Yes, you will," the voice raged.
"No!" I cried louder.
"Ireth! Ireth, what's wrong?" Legolas asked.
"He's here!" I hissed.
"Kill him!" Shouted Sauron.
"Who's here?" Aragorn asked quickly.
"Sauron! He's here! In my head!"
"Kill the king! This is what you were born to do!"
I snapped my eyes open but I could not see anything but the Eye of Sauron. Two sets of hands lifted me off the ground. I groaned and hissed in pain as Sauron taunted me, pushing thoughts into my mind.
"Help me!" I cried.
"Ireth, can you hear me?" Legolas asked as I was set down on something soft.
"Yes," I whispered, Sauron trying to be louder than Legolas.
"Listen to me, Ireth. Listen to us. He does not control you. Think about your sister and father in Rivendell. Think of Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. Think of the Shire, Ireth. Do not let him get close to you."
Memories of the Shire invaded my mind. I tried to push Sauron out of my mind but he pushed back harder. "He's still there," I whispered. "Talk to me. Help me."
"Listen to my voice, Ireth. Fight back. Think of Boromir. Think of what he did to him. He killed him, Ireth. He was your friend and Sauron killed him," Legolas spoke softly into my ear.
Rage built up inside me and I shoved Sauron back. The endless chanting stopped and my vision cleared. My sweaty hair clung to my forehead as Legolas, Aragorn,and Gimli knelt over me.
"I'm sorry," I whisper, tears brimming at my eye lids.
Legolas shook his head, "You're safe now, Ireth. He cannot hurt you here. We won't leave you."
"What did he want?" asked Aragorn.
"He wanted me to kill Theoden," I whisper.
"That all?"
I nod. Aragorn stood up and left the room, Gimli following behind. Legolas grabbed my hand staring at me intently. "Has this ever happened before?"
"No," I whisper. "I have never seen Sauron's Eye before." Tears flowed down my cheeks as I gazed at the Elf.
"We won't let him hurt you, Ireth. We will help you keep him at bay."
"Thank you, Legolas." I whispered closing my eyes. A pair of warm lips touched my forehead as I slowly drifted into unconsciousness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ehh...not the greatest but it's something...