Grenade

Little Sister

---Skylar's POV---

I looked over at Zoey, whom was being spun around by Tom. I did miss her, but I finally found the guy of my dreams and we were going great. Besides, I highly doubted Zoey even remembered how good it felt to be together. I, on the other hand, could not forget. She'd been the one person who got me, the one person to make everything better in that time of need.

I felt bad for thinking about all this with Jackson right there, but even he made me feel wonderful. There was just something about Zoey at that moment of need. Who knows, we may not even feel anything anymore. But I wasn't sure I was willing to try and just mess everything up once more.

"Babe?" I jumped at the sound of Jackson's voice. I looked up at him. "Are you alright?"

I nodded. "Yeah, just thinking." I smiled.

He ran a hand through my hair and kissed my cheek. "I'll be right back."

I watched him get up and walk away. Dillon started to talk about something. I wasn't listening, but decided to get up and walk back into the kitchen. I hoped on the counter and picked up an apple sitting in a small, green bowl and took a bite out of it.

"Hey," Joe walked in, frowning over something. I waved since my mouth was full of apple bites. "What's wrong? You seem.. out of it."

I swallowed and sighed. "I'm just.. life is so weird right now." I muttered and took another bite.

He nodded. "Amen to that, sister." He jumped on the counter with me and tucked some hair behind my ear. "Why do you always keep your hair in your face?" He asked, messing with it some more as it fell back into my eyes.

"It's like a security blanket." I shrugged.

"You shouldn't hide. Everybody loves that face." He smiled a little.

I giggled and shook my head. "Liar."

"I'm serious. Jackson is always talking about how beautiful you are. Actually, I can't get him to stop.. But every one of you girls are beautiful creatures and all three of you try your best to hide it."

I looked up at Joe, surprised he seemed so.. non-goofy right now. He was dead serious. "I know they are. I'm just.. here." I shrugged.

He shook his head. "Skylar, why must you think that?"

"Why must you think you have to be the one to tell me?" I asked.

He bit his lip a little. He tried to think of a way, but it didn't seem to be coming so fast. "Because.." He paused. "I think of you as my little sister. Zoey and you are like my little sisters and I want to look out for you two. I know we may not seem to spend so much time together and a few months ago you hated my guts.."

I giggled. "Well, you have to admit, you were an asshole."

"Well.. yeah." He laughed and gave me a one-armed hug. "Want to go back in there? I think Tom said something about playing truth or dare." Joe smiled. I nodded and hopped down as he led me into the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short >.< I think we need to brainstorm a little!

--Christa