I Ain't Waiting For The World To Change

Chapter Two

„You’re going to live here?“ he asked unbelieving. I was glad my dad didn’t saw the apartment some days ago, Johnny cleaned up.

“Yes, my room is here.” While I said this I opened the door to my room.
“But your drums don’t fit in here.” His expression was still shocked.
“No, this is just for my bed. The drums are going to be in the studio.”

“Alright, then we should start to get your stuff up here.” It took us three hours to build up the bed and get my stuff in the room.
We were on the way to the studio to mount my musical instrument. The boys gave me a key for the room a few days ago. We made good progress, but I’m still not satisfied. My family said I’m always overambitious, but I just wanted to show that I’m as good as a man.
“Oh, they’re here. We need some helping hands,” I yelled. It was clear from the outset that nobody would answer. “Come along,” I pulled my dad and opened the doors. There were just four of the five, Johnny was missing. “Thought you didn’t hear me. Dad, that’s the band – band, my dad.” They waved and my dad smiled. “Honey, please don’t take it the wrong way, but can we do a bit faster?”

“Sure Dad, sorry. So, if these guys would be so nice and help, we would be ready in a flash.” They rose and so my baby soon stood at its new place.
“Red?”Matt asked as we stood in a row and admired the dark red drums.
“Sure. I’ve saved all my money for this.” I went still into raptures over it.

“Everything’s here and I know you’re invited, so I think I can drive home. Besides your Mom and I are going to babysit tonight.”
“Where’s Kelly?” I asked an eyebrow rose.

“She’s on a date.” We both rolled with the eyes. The guys said goodbye and I accompanied my father to his car.
“Thanks, Dad.”
“You know, when you need us, we will be here,” he reminded me.

“I know,” I said as I hugged him. He put a kiss on my cheek, got on his vehicle and soon I just saw the car faded at the corner.Before I drove home I asked Matt where he lived.

Johnny wasn’t home when I arrived. I just went into my room, picked up my suitcase with cosmetics, went to the bathroom and took a shower.

Usually I didn’t wear makeup – because when you’re at the drums it’s more than disgusting when the full shit comes into your eyes – but today I put something on my skin. Black eyeshadow, a little bit mascara, some rouge and I could devote my time for my hair. With the curling iron I made a few curls into my bright hair and when I entered my room the little dog was sitting on the bed – MY bed!

“Peanut, down!” I shouted at the dog, who just watched me with an innocent glimpse. I put him down, put my suitcase on the furniture and searched for an outfit.

I picked a tight black skirt, a light blue shirt with a cowl-neck and black high heels. Not my normal choice, but I was going to meet the girls and I didn’t want to look like I wouldn’t care about my clothes.

I took my handbag and when I was about to leave the flat and went to Matt I saw a yellow post-it on the door:

Could you bring Peanut?

“Peeeeeeanut,” I yelled. I heard his steps on the laminate and his tail was wagging as he saw the dog lead in my hand. I fixed it and we went down the street. Matt told me it wasn’t far away, so I decided to take a walk. A very, very long walk with this animal sniffing and peeing everywhere. So I screw up condition two – on the first day!

Finally I found the right house. I pressed the bell and heard a “The door is open, come in.” I opened it and stepped in, the dog still at my side.
“Hello?” I asked.

“In the kitchen on your left,” a female voice said. I followed the voice and there stood a blonde woman, who was washing some salad. “Hey, you must be Kim,”she smiled and I nodded. “I’m Val. The others are outside, just join them. I’ll be there in a minute. Um, you don’t know the way, wait I’m going to show you.” She dried her hands and came toward me.
“Should I take something?” I asked.

“No, thanks. So, come on. Hey Peanut,” she said and got to her knees to pat the little rude. “You don’t need the lead here.” I untied it and Peanut disappeared. “Zacky, Gena and Johnny are already here, we’re just waiting for Brian and Michelle.” We went through a big living room to a garden. There stood a long table with eight chairs.

“If you need me, I’m in the kitchen.” Val disappeared.
“Matt, did you realize we had a girl in the band?” Zacky shouted. Matt stood in the front of a big brazier.
“Not until yet,” Matt answered. I rolled my eyes.

“Thanks for bringing Peanut, little girl,” Johnny said. He already had a beer bottle in his hands.
“Right, I’m the one who’s the smallest here,” I said sarcastically. He looked a bit pissed, but the others were laughing.

“Now that we know you’re a girl and not a little one: Hi, I’m Gena,” the woman next to Zacky held out her hand and I shook it.
“Nice to meet you, I’m Kim,” I said. She patted on the seat next to her and I sat down.
“So, how were your days?” Johnny on my other side asked.

“Stressful. Screaming kids everywhere and everything was pink – my eyes are still hurting.”
“I thought you were only grabbing your things?” Gena asked.
“It was also my little niece’s birthday.”
“How old is she?” she asked interested.

“Just three years old. My sister got pregnant when we were nineteen.”
“We?” Matt, who had joined us, asked.
“We’re twins, but totally different. While my sister was homecoming queen I sat in the garage and played drums. The first thing my mom said, when she told her she was about to get a baby was, that she thought I would be the one who’ll come home pregnant.”

“I guess your gift for your niece was a little drum kit,” Matt joked.
I laughed. “No, she’ll get one at her fifth birthday. But she wants pink ones, so it would be more girly.” I mugged. I noticed that Gena was staring at my hair. “What? Is there something in my hair?”
“What about some highlights? Maybe pink? Or some red streaks?”

“What?” I asked again, still confused.
“I’m a hairstylist and I need to do something with your hair!”
“I told you,” Zacky winked at Johnny.
“What’s wrong with my hair?” I admit it, I was a bit pissed.

“It’s boring.” She laid it on the line. I think I looked a little bit shocked. “So please, let me do something with it.”
“We’ll see,” I just said. Through the door came a little white dog, who was soon joined by peanut and three other dogs I’ve never seen before. “Where do all this dogs come from?” I asked unbelieving.

“The golden dog is Matt’s Bella, the little white one is Pinkly, Brian’s dog, and the little black one is Ichabod with the dane dog, Majesty, both belong to Zacky,” Johnny explained.
“Oh, the little ones are cute, but the big one is scary.”

“Majesty isn’t scary,” Zacky pouted. He really looked hurt, so I didn’t say anything.
“So, there’s Pinkly, where are her owners?” Matt asked and changed the theme.
“Think Brian stuck at your fridge,” Johnny laughed and Zacky added a “Later he’s crying why he’s so fat.”

“Hey guys,” we heard Syns voice before he entered the garden. “Jesus Christ, who’s this lady?” he asked after he had greeted the others and stood in front of me.
I yawned theatrical. “It’s getting boring, guys.”
“Matt, ignite the brazier!” As soon as he heard Val’s shout he jumped up and we were laughing.

Suddenly I felt something watery on my leg and I squealed. I took a look under the table and was staring into two dog eyes. The watery nose was still pressed at my leg. It just figured out that it was the scary dog. “Think you have to come along with her. But she’s a really nice dog, Ichabod is the one who’s snappy,” Gena explained, after she had followed my glance.

“Yeah,” I evoked and held out my hand, so the dog could sniff. After that I patted her head, but that was as far as it went.

The time went by, Matt was the one who operated the brazier, Val ascended everything what was in her kitchen I supposed and she introduced me to her sister, Michelle, who was Syn’s wife. She looked like Val – what a coincidence, because they were twins, too. But Michelle’s hair was brown and was a bit longer than Val’s. We talked a lot; the men sat on the grass and were playing with the dogs, only Peanut sat on my lap. Actually I started to like this little brute.

“I couldn’t believe you’re going to live with Johnny. This will be a mess!”
“We’ll see,” I just said.
“You’re welcome every time you need a break,” Val invited me.

“And you have to come over at my place. I’m going to make your hair, I can’t even look at it anymore,” Gena dwelled on her subject. “I promise you, you’ll be glad, but you definitely need more color.”

“Okay, okay, what about that. I’ll come over at your place and you’ll show me, what’s in your mind. But if I don’t like it, we leave it like that.” She nodded eagerly.
“May I ask you something?” I lowered my voice. “I didn’t have the courage to ask the boys, but would you tell me something about Jimmy?”
“Oh, you can ask the boys, they always talk about him. But just sit here a bit, I have a few questions,” Val said. Think Michelle was the one, who doesn’t talk this much, but she’s still kind.“So, you family is still in Sacramento, but what about a boyfriend?”

“There’s no.” As I saw their asking glances I continued. “I love the music and there’s no time for someone. Also the most men are scared of me and I think, when I tell them I’m in a metal band they would be even more.”
“I guess many of them think that’s sexy”, Gena said, while Michelle asked when they would hear me. “I’m very anxious.” She was a really beauty, when she smiled. I shrugged. “Don’t know, ask the others.” Synchronous we looked at the men, who were lying in the grass and looked sleepy.

“Think, they passed out and need to be wakening up.” We grinned at each other and Michelle asked for some buckets. “What do you want with buckets?” Gena asked.
“It’s the best to wake up with cold water,” she explained. We ended with a big glass full of cold water for each and we were creeping on the sleeping persons on the grass.
“Psssht,” Val said, since Gena started to giggle, while she was standing in front of Matt. I stood over Zacky's Face and whispered “we might piss somebody off” and began to shout “LIKE ME MOTHERFUCKER”. In sync we tipped the glasses out, so the men started screaming, while the girls couldn’t hold their laugh, as I used a lyric from A7x to wake them up.

Don’t know why, however I was aware of Zacky’s reaction. But I was wearing high heels and I couldn’t run on the grass, ‘cause my heels stuck. Soon he was at my side, lifted me up, gave me a fireman’s lift and walked into the house. “What are you doin’?” I asked while staring at his ass, which was right in front of my eyes.

“You’ll see.” Because of my view I couldn’t see where he was walking, but he stopped and I could hear the water falling down – and then I realized what he was going to do.
“Oh no, Zacky, please,” I begged, but he just let me down and soon I stood in the shower. My hair was wet and my makeup was streaming down my face.

“You look like a drowned rat,” he laughed and held out a towel. “So, we’re both wet. We’re even,” he said. I just realized how green his eyes were, but that couldn’t stop my rage.
“But all of my clothes are wet inclusive my shoes,” I said while turning the shower off.
“So, I can ask Val, or you’re going to be naked. I think I’ll think about it, while I’m outside. Maybe I do Johnny a favor, he haven’t seen a naked lady for ages.” With these words he left the room. I pulled off my shoes and undressed me, so I stood there in underwear and wrapped the towel around my body. With some toilet paper I removed the residual makeup. Since Val didn’t come I guessed Zacky hadn’t told the others. I had to go outside, as I didn’t want to search in a house that doesn’t belong to me.

“Oh my gosh, what happened?” Michelle asked as she passed my way in the living room.
“Think I got a shower. You might ask your sister, if she got something to wear for me?” I asked and realized I splashed the floor with water.
“Sure. You might wait in the bathroom.” I nodded and went back. Soon Val joined me, followed by Johnny. Val darted a wondering glance at him.

“Zacky told me, I should come here, there would be something for me.”
“Just go,” I shouted and threw my wet shirt at him. He cowered and toddled off. “You know, this wasn’t even my idea,” I snorted while pulling on the shirt Val gave me. I even didn’t know why I was so pissed, it was just water.
“But you were the one who was screaming and you’re the newest in the band, also the youngest and a woman,” she finished her speech.

“I’ll ask you something and please be honest. Is it a problem for anyone that I’m in the band?” I bit my lip. By time I also wore shorts from Matt’s wife.
“I don’t think it’s a problem for Matt and the others. Actually I think it’s better for them and for you, ‘cause if there was a man they’d always compared him with Jimmy. Sure, I miss him too, but they need to move on. And they’re really impressed by you.”

I blushed as she wrapped an arm around my shoulder and dragged me outside with a little stop at the kitchen, where she grabbed a bottle.
“We need some glasses,” she shouted and sat down on a chair. Gena came back and brought four glasses.

“What about us?” Johnny complained.
“Get some glasses and you’ll get some,” Val said, poured the liquid into the short glasses, lifted hers and waited till Michelle, Gena and I clinked glasses.
“What was that?” I grimaced, after the liquid went through my gullet.

“Take a second one, it’ll taste better,” Gena topped off my glass. The second tasted even more awful so I took Johnny’s beer and took a deep sip. “Hey, that was mine.”
“You’re right it was yours,” I said while drinking the rest. Meanwhile Johnny took the four little glasses and the bottle and drank one with the guys.

“So, how was the cooling?” Syn asked arch. I just showed him my middle finger.

The sky was black, the lights shone since hours. Don’t know what it was, but apparently emerged romantic feeling. Val was sitting on Matt’s Lap, Gena and Zacky whispered enamored and Syn and his wife were kissing – leaved me and Johnny. He was totally drunk. Bella stood in front of her owners, a yellow ball between her teeth. It didn’t seem that they’d like to play so I rose, patted on her bag so the dog glared at me. “I’ll play with you,” I said and took the toy out of her yap. We walked a bit, because there was a long field. I throw the ball and Bella sprinted, took it and brought it back, so I could throw it again. The little dogs were inside the house, just Majesty walked slowly at my direction. She sat down next to me and just watched me playing. Maybe she wasn’t so scary. I patted her head and started to ruffle the dog’s fur.

“You mind, if I’m joining you?” a deep male voice behind me asked.
“You’re welcome,” I answered Matt’s question.
“You want to know something ‘bout Jimmy?” he asked while throwing the ball this time.
“Val snitched, uh?” I sat down and Majesty laid her head on my lap.

“Amen to that. So, Jimmy was not only a band member, he was also our best friend and a family member. No, that’s not right – he’s still with us. It was hard and we didn’t know if we could go on stage anymore.” He paused and I didn’t know what to say. “He was the craziest guy I ever met,” he laughed suddenly, probably stuck in a memory.
“You miss him a lot,” I said and it wasn’t a question.

“Every fuckin’ day I miss this stupid asshole. He had a huge heart, I’m sure he would like you and that was one of the reasons I voted for you.”
“And I thought I convinced you with my music,” I tried to mellow the atmosphere.
“I don’t mean to imply that you’re a bad drummer, you’re great, but it has to fit, like,” he tried to explain.

“I know what you mean. It’s just… I don’t want to replace him. Well no, I have to replace him… God, that’s such bullshit. What I’m trying to say is that I sure want to replace Jimmy as a drummer, but not as your friend. I know there’s this space I can never fill, and I don’t want to. I just want to have my own place in the band, just as Kim. You know, what I’m trying to express?”

“No one can replace The Rev, but maybe we have to realize, there’s no Jimmy anymore, there’s just a screaming K.” He smirked and laid an arm around my shoulder.
“Screaming?” I asked innocent.

“Your ‘Like me motherfucker’ scream is still resonating in my ears.”
“Don’t expect me to apologize.” I smiled.
“You want something to drink?”
“Just beer, nevermore this witches’ brew.”

“Yo Shorty, get your ass over here and bring some beer,” Matt yelled so suddenly I flinched with shock.
“Get your own beer,” he yelled back.

“It’s for K, so get your lady a beer.” I gave him a questioning glace. “What? You’re his roommate now!”
“Actually I thought about the other part. K? I need a stage name, why not K written out? Better than Kimberley and I doubt that I found a freaky name as you guys.”

“Not that bad. Kay – the girl with the unknown prename,” he said, while he underlined his words with his hands.

“Move over,” Johnny’s drunken voice said and he shooed Majesty away and sat next to me. I took a bottle, handed it to Matt and took the other one. “So, I heard the girls want to see Kim playing and we also have to test her, if she’s ready for the stage. What ‘bout a littl’ gig here?”
“Not a bad idea. What do you think, Kay? You’re ready for this?”
“Sure, either way I had to do it. That’s why I picked this job.”

“I’ll call Jamie tomorrow and ask him, if we could use the ‘Chain Reaction’ for a little concert.”
“Band practice tomorrow?” I asked.

“2 p.m. at the studio,” Matt confirmed and Johnny screwed up his face. We sat there, chatted a bit about music and when I finished my bottle I rose up. “I’m goin’ home,” I said and faltered a bit as I walked in the house direction. I locked the bathroom and dressed up. My clothes were a bit muggy and my shoes even more, but it could have been worse.
When I said goodbye, Gena prevented me from leaving. “What about tomorrow evening? Just come at my place and I do your hair,” she said. I sighed and promised I would come. Johnny wanted to stay but I should take little Peanut home. So I took the lead, but this little cutie followed me so I decided I didn’t need it and walked along with the dog. I started to like him, but when we entered the apartment he jumped on my bed. That was definitely too much of a good thing. I kicked him out, closed the door, undressed me and fell into my bed.