‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: working on it

Rookie

Moving

“I’m going to take a nap,” I exclaimed.

“How are you feeling dear?” Mrs. Crawford asked, scaring me.

“Oh, hi, Linda. Corey failed to tell me you were here. I think I’m feeling as well as I can after what happened. The Doctor says I’ll be sore the next few days, but then everything will go back to normal.”

“I’m glad, dear. I’ll let you take your nap and take Ava off your hands. I’m going to take her to lunch. I’m glad you’re back in his life,” she then whispered more. “He was miserable without you in the house. You were lucky he played so well.”

“Thanks, Linda. I’ll see you a bit later,” I kissed her cheek and then went to Corey’s room. Corey followed a few minutes later.

“I did miss you,” Corey said as he came to lie beside me.

“I missed you too; I can’t believe I almost married Sidney.”

“Yeah, when are you going to break up with him officially?”

“Tomorrow, I’m too exhausted. Just let me go to sleep.”

“Okay,” he wrapped his arms around my waist and we fell asleep.

‘Who are you when I’m not looking?’ my phone rang and I picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Hey, how are you feeling?”

“Sidney?” I asked still asleep, sort of.

“Yeah, didn’t you check caller id?”

“I was sleeping.”

“Where? You didn’t come home and you aren’t in the hospital.”

“Corey’s, he brought Ava to see me right before they released me.”

“We need to talk. Can I come get you?”

“I guess.”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” and he was gone.

“Corey,” I nudged his side.

“What?”

“Sidney’s coming to get me; I’m going to break it off with him.”

“Let me know when we can move your stuff back.”

“Okay,” I kissed his cheek and got ready. I got downstairs as Sidney pulled up in the driveway.

“Hey, babe,” Sid greeted as I got into his rental.

“Hi, Sid.”

“Are you okay?” he asked as he pulled out of the driveway.

“I’m great. I won the Stanley Cup and the MVP award. Absolutely perfect,” I mumbled the last part.

“And mentally?”

“Not the greatest.”

“Me either, I mean, that was our kid. I can’t believe I could’ve been a dad.”

“Sidney, Corey was the father,” I blurted.

“I thought nothing happened between you two?”

“It was a one time thing, but now it’s not. I love Corey, I’m really sorry, Sidney.”

“You played me? You couldn’t get Corey so you got me as a fill in?”

“I could’ve had Corey the entire time. But I wasn’t going to leave you. But now I know it’s what I really want. I’m truly sorry.”

“I guess I’ll re-sign with Pittsburgh and sell the house. You just have to get your stuff and I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Thank you, Sidney.” He took me to our house where I got my most important stuff and we went back to Corey’s. Corey met us outside to help with my boxes.

“No hard feelings, Crosby?”

“None at all,” they did a handshake and Sidney left.

“How much is left at his place?”

“Just about ten boxes. He said he’ll bring them over. Are your mom and Ava back yet?”

“Yes, she spoiled her with ice cream.”

“And that’s why I love your mom.”

“And I love you. What do you want for dinner, Miss MVP?”

“I want to make my family dinner. It’s decided. I’ll make dinner, go hang out with sugar girl and your mom. It will be a couple hours.”

“If you say so,” he kissed me and went to the family room. My phone had basically blown up with congrats on winning and the feel betters for losing my baby. I quickly turned it off before starting to cook.

I made homemade potatoes and gravy, steak, green beans with bacon and onions, and I couldn’t forget rolls. I used my dad’s recipes since they were my favorites and I wanted to remember him as I celebrated the great ending of my rookie season.

“Smells delicious, darling,” Linda exclaimed as I put dinner rolls onto the table.

“Thanks, would you like something to drink? Wine, water, or beer?”

“Wine would be delicious with this beautiful dinner.” I got her a glass and served her. I asked Corey and he accepted too. I poured Ava’s milk in a Sippy cup and water for my since I wasn’t of the legal drinking age.

“You know, we are celebrating. It would be okay to have a drink, Soph.”

“If I would like to have children later in life, I should avoid alcohol because my body isn’t used to it and after the traumatic event of miscarriage, they suggest not drinking.”

“I wasn’t aware,” Corey replied. I placed my hand on his and smiled letting him know it was fine and I really didn’t care. We said grace and dug in.