‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: working on it

Rookie

Finally

I did my makeup after showering and then my hair before putting the dress on. I pulled a robe over my dress so I could check out the activity on the ice. I saw that all the people had cleared out in the hour it had taken me and only our guests were left in the seats of the United Center. I went back to my private room to find Corey in his suit waiting for me.

“Corey?” we hadn’t spoken since that day I told him off. I actually moved out without telling him. I had worked it out so he could still see Ava by having Jackie or Jon drop her off with him and pick her up.

“You can’t marry Sidney. I’m completely and utterly in love with you. You are the strongest, most beautiful, and amazing woman I’ve ever known. You’ve raised your daughter with very little help and started playing professional hockey to be able to take good care of Ava. You are amazing and I’m in love with you. So don’t marry him.”

“Who says I’m in love with you? I mean, I moved out of your house, I told you off, and I moved in with the man I’m supposed to marry in an hour. You really think I’m in love with you, Corey?”

“Yes. You did all those things because you knew that you were in love with me and being around me that entire time would kill you and make you forgive me. So you ran away.”

“And if I do, what makes you think I’d drop Sid for you?”

“You keep babbling. You do that when you’re nervous. I bet that Sidney doesn’t even know that about you. It took me all of 24 hours to learn. That day you moved into my house, you couldn’t stop talking, just like you can’t stop talking right now,” he ran his fingers down my cheek bone to my lips and stepped closer. It was then that I collapsed in a sudden pain. I screamed and clutched my stomach. “What’s wrong?” he questioned.

“I don’t know, it hurts,” I replied through gritted teeth. Corey picked me up bridal style and rushed me to our trainer’s room. Mark looked at me and than Corey.

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know, my stomach hurts uncontrollably, I was fine until a few minutes ago.” Mark moved my robe and Corey swore.

“I have to ask, is it your time of the month?”

“No, not for another couple weeks,” I admitted to whoever was in the room. I didn’t care.

“Well, then, I’m sending you to the hospital,” he said.

“What’s going on?” I looked down and saw blood. I started to cry as Mark called the medics that were still there from the game. I was rushed to the hospital in the ambulance that Corey insisted he go with me in. He refused to leave my side until the doctor’s made him. They wanted to perform an ultrasound. I begged for him to come with and shook violently, but they still wouldn’t let him come. He gave me a small smile before letting go of my hand.

“I’ll be right outside, baby. I promise,” he kissed my forehead before going. I knew he was going to call Abby and Jackie who would then tell Sidney. That was all I remembered though because I either passed out or they gave me something.

I woke up to Corey standing there holding my hand. Sidney was there too. I didn’t know what was said, but it was apparent that they were only in the same room because of me.

“What happened?” I asked quietly, barely finding my voice.

“Do you want to tell her?” Sidney asked Corey. Corey nodded in response.

“You were two months pregnant and miscarried, that’s why there was blood,” he explained.

“Did you know?” Sidney asked with tears forming in his eyes.

“Of course not, if I had, I wouldn’t have played tonight,” I started to cry too.

“Hey, don’t cry,” both guys said to me. I didn’t listen, I just cried. I cried until the doctor came into my room.

“Miss Mosier, I’m sorry for your loss. Did you know you were with child?”

“No, I didn’t. I had little reason to suspect, no morning sickness, no weight gain, or cravings.”

“You were fairly early on, so those don’t show so soon. But you know that from having a baby before, isn’t that right, Miss Mosier?”

“Yes.”

“We want you to stay for observation and than you should be okay to leave in the morning.”

“Okay, guys, can I talk to the doctor alone please?”

“Sure,” Corey kissed my forehead and Sidney kissed my hand before going.

“Is there a way to do a paternity test?”

“If I had a sample to compare it to, than yes,” he reassured.

“Could you come back in a bit for a sample?”

“Yes, but it is very expensive, Miss Mosier.”

“I understand, but you see, I just got a pay raise.” He nodded and left. The boys came back in and I explained that I couldn’t do anything about getting married until I got out of there and so they decided to give me some space. I asked Corey to stay an extra moment. “You were right. I did sleep with Sidney that night you and your mom took Ava to dinner. Then you and I got together and broke up. I just, I don’t know who the father would be. So, I guess I’m asking if you’d do a paternity test for me. And whoever the father is of my baby will be the man I leave here with. No take backs, no changing, and I promise things can only go back to normal at a relative level.”

“Okay,” he ripped out a piece of hair and kissed my forehead before leaving.

“Here you go, Doc,” I told him when he returned.

“If I put a rush on it, you can have the results by the time you leave tomorrow.”

“Please do, I need to know.”

“Okay, again, I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Was it because of hockey?”

“We can never tell.”

“Thank you,” I told him as he left. The next day I awoke to Ava’s little voice.

“Momma,” she exclaimed. I opened my eyes and saw Ava was with Corey.

“Hi, baby, Momma missed you,” I told her as I wrapped her in a hug.

“Miss Mosier,” the doctor came in. “I have those test results for you before you go,” he handed me the envelope that held my entire future. I ripped it open. It read: Unknown DNA is 99.9% the father of XX10 baby fetus.

I pulled Corey towards me by the collar of his shirt as Ava sat in my lap. I kissed Corey and Ava clapped her little hands. We broke apart and blushed as we looked at our happy little Ava.

“Don’t ever make me go through this again, Crawford!”

“I’ll try,” he smirked and I got checked out to go home. He drove us all to his house that I’d be moving back into after telling Sidney that we were done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wedding Dress