‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: working on it

Rookie

Taking Sides

“Dinner tonight?” was the question I asked Corey before getting ready to leave.

“The diner Ava likes is good,” he replied. We wouldn’t go out for dinner until after the game.

“Okay, I’m going to get my clean gear and change. Then I’ll get Ava and we’ll head to Abby’s spot at the UC,” he just nodded, doing his own thing.

After doing everything on the list to prepare for a game, we grabbed Ava and her toys and I tied Corey’s tie. Corey got this look on his face before we kissed. It wasn’t magical, it wasn’t special, it wasn’t Sidney’s kiss, but it just felt, I don’t know, right?

“Corey,” I broke us up. “I have a boyfriend, what am I doing?”

“You’re doing what’s right,” Corey said still winded from our kiss.

“Not today, Corey. I can’t do this when I’m going out to play against you and Sidney. I just can’t do it, not today, not for the series. Sidney wants to know where our relationship is headed at the end of the series and I’ll let you know where this is going then too. I’m sorry.” I took my daughter to the car and waited for Corey. He brought an apple for me and we left the house.

The game passed by in a blur. I avoided being on the ice at the same time as Sid and Corey because I knew they were both always watching me. It was stressful. I played an average game with one assist and one goal, but I was making the rookie mistakes that I never wanted to, like getting into a fight.

“Alright, Mosier, what’s the problem?” Coach Q asked at the second period intermission.

“Nothing’s wrong, Coach,” had been my response.

“Bullshit. You are the only girl in the damn NHL and you’re taking on Matt Cooke? What happened? You said no fights.”

“Cooke has a cheap shot on me is all, I just wanted some payback.”

“You’re still lying.”

“Personal problems that I should’ve avoided bringing onto the ice, but it’s hard to ignore when it’s right there in front of your face, I’m sorry, third period will be better.” And it was. I got so fired up when I tried to talk to Corey and he ignored me that I scored two more goals on Marc-Andre Fleury and got my hat trick. Jordan then tripped me when he couldn’t score and he was sent to the box. I got stitched up since my chin got sliced as I hit the ice from the trip. Coach only put me in once more when the Pens went on power play for Bolland’s cross-checking Sidney.

Sidney stayed out there, of course, for his power play, so it was him versus me. He got control and passed it to Geno. Geno got caught up on the blue line and Pisani stripped him of the puck, He sent it sailing towards me, but Sid got there first. I skated between Sidney and Corey and went down as the puck went towards Corey on Sidney’s signature slap shot. It hit me waist high and bounced over to Seabrook who wasted clock time by dumping the puck. We changed lines and that was the last time I played that night. Final score was three zero, Blackhawks.

“Play like that again and I’ll bench you, Sophie,” Coach Q warned as I waited for Corey with Ava after interviews and everything.

“Hey baby, great game tonight,” Sidney said joining us in the hallway. He kissed me and then took Ava from my arms. “Hi, Princess.”

“Sorry about that shot,” I said sheepishly.

“Don’t be, you play a good one on one defense. Go to dinner with me?”

“I can’t. I promised Corey he could take Ava and me out to Ava’s favorite restaurant. What about tomorrow?”
“Definitely, I better be going to join the guys for some pity drinks, then. See you tomorrow,” he started to kiss my cheek and walk away.

“Tell Cooke sorry for the busted lip.”

“He says sorry for the eye. He momentarily forgot you were a girl with your punches.”

“Understandable, tell Jordy to watch his back next game too.”

“Alright, see you,” and he was gone as I touched my tender eye. It was black and blue already as I noticed in the bathroom. But oh well. I put Ava down on the floor as Corey exited the locker room.

“Ready to go?” he asked and I nodded. We each took one of Ava’s hands and took off towards the diner. I learned something tonight that would help me with the Sidney vs. Corey situation. I just had to get through dinner first.