Running With Wolves

Grandfather.

Mia, Jasmine, and Rune stood next to each other with towels wrapped around them. They couldn’t bear to make themselves relax enough to so much as sit, especially when they had heard nothing from Sage and Lukas since he’d locked the bedroom door.

A soft knock came from the front door and for a moment the trio wondered if they’d even heard the sound at all. When the knock came again the girls stared at each other with worried eyes, none of them wanting to respond to it. Jasmine was the one brave enough to cross the room and open the oak door with a shaking hand.

Standing in the doorway was an old man with warm brown eyes and a kind expression.

“Jasmine,” he greeted.

“Grandfather.” Jasmine’s eyes widened at the figure and she hurriedly opened the door wider to allow the visitor into the house, relief flooding her and leaving her dizzy. Grandfather was the safest thing they’d find next to Alpha in Blackwood. “Grandfather I-“

He paused just inside the home and turned to her slowly. Gently, he put a hand on her shoulder in comfort. “It’s alright dear, no need to explain.”

Jasmine’s shoulders slacked in relief and she closed the door behind the old man. Grandfather was the oldest and wisest man in all of Blackwood and he was revered in both respective packs. Few within Blackwood remembered a time when he was anything other than an old man and to many, if not all, he was a Grandfather; so that was what they called him.
He was an Alpha many years before but these days Grandfather spent more time as a medicine man of sorts more than any sort of authoritative figure—although everyone, including the Alphas obeyed Grandfather. After the war however Grandfather disappeared and few have seen him since. Apparently Lukas was one the few who hadn’t lost track of the mentor.

“Raluca, where are Sage and Lukas?” He questioned Rune where she stood huddled beside Jasmine. She pointed obediently in the direction of Lukas’s bedroom down the hall, still unable to fully find her voice. Grandfather nodded mutely, his eyes landing on each woman in turn. “I’m sure Lukas has spare clothes in the guest bedroom, why don’t you three try to find some that fit for the time being?” The trio nodded mutely. Grandfather hesitated before taking a step toward Rune, his fingertips hovering over her bleeding eyebrow. “Press a towel to it dear to help with the bleeding—though we may have to get you stitches once everything is sorted.” Raluca nodded mutely and they watched as Grandfather turned away from them in search of Sage and Lukas.

“Lukas?” He knocked on the bedroom door but was met with only silence on the other side. “Lukas I’m coming in son.” He turned the knob slowly and pushed open the door, his eyes instantly drawn to the frail figure on the bed. Dressed in men’s clothes and wrapped in a blanket was Sage Wolfe.

Although all called him Grandfather, when Sage said it the word rang true.

“Sage,” The name left his lips in a breath—then he heard growling.

Sage, while wrapped in blankets, was also curled into the side of an overprotective canine.

“Lukas,” he stated the name flatly and wondered distantly how much control the concealed man had over his Were--if any at all.

The Were, a handsome grey timber wolf with gray eyes, pulled his sharp white teeth over his lips and snarled at the older man. He was perfectly still in his spot where he lay beside the unconscious beauty, determined as hell not let anyone near her, lest she be hurt again.

“Back down.” The old man barked the order with startling strength and conviction. The Were, sensing the power, bristled against it and rose to his feet upon the bed, his hackles raising and his body tensed to spring. At the last moment the Were launched himself off the bed and toward the old man, his jaw open and ready. Grandfather despite his age and demeanor was swifter than most would think and as fast as the Were he turned and spun around out of the doorway and slammed the door closed; the Were smacking into the wood with a thunk.

Grandfather straightened, his jaw set, and determination settling into his wise eyes. He turned away from the door to see the women watching him from down the hall; none daring to get into it with the Were.
He sighed as he turned away and made his way toward the kitchen in search of a phone. Grandfather was many things, but even he was not so sure he could get himself between Sage and Lukas—not that many would dare it to begin with.

“Raluca,” He spoke up with his eyes on the buttons of the phone. “I suggest you take the girls to the safe room, lock the door, and stay there.”

“Grandfather?” Rune questioned her voice small and child like.

“I need to get to Sage but Lukas wont allow it. I need help, people who can safely keep Lukas down.”

“W-who are you calling?” Mia murmured fear flickering through her eyes.

“Knoll,” Grandfather knew for certain he would call upon the youngest Canis. If anyone was anywhere near familiar with scuffling with Lukas it was his brothers.

“-You aren’t going to call Kerrick too are you?” Jasmine stiffened, her nose flaring at the mere idea of being in the presence of him.

“No,” Grandfather stated, though he sounded reluctant. “While Kerrick would most certainly be the best option for dealings with Lukas I do suppose that for this situation he is not the best candidate.”

“Knoll can’t handle Lukas by himself,” Rune stated assuredly her voice quiet. Rune knew Knoll but despite his linage as a Canis no one could deny that he was not as strong as Lukas “Lukas will tear him up.”

“Conan,” Jasmine answered suddenly, there was a far away look in her eye but then she blinked, her eyes locking with Grandfather. “Conan could do it.” Jasmine was sure that Conan was their only other option. Who else would be willing to go against Lukas for Sage? Conan was familiar with putting himself in harms way to save his sisters.

Grandfather pursed his lips. “But is it enough? Knoll is his younger brother and Conan doesn’t belong to Eastern—neither hold any sway over him.”

“—Grandfather with all do respect people have about as much sway over Sage around here as they do for Lukas. If you can’t get Lukas to cooperate there are very few who have even half a chance.”

Grandfather closed his eyes tiredly, he had to get to Sage somehow. If Lukas, especially in his Were form, wouldn’t allow him within ten feet of her then he was being more than just protective; there was something wrong. His weathered fingers pressed the buttons on the phone slowly.

“Conan, it’s your grandfather.” He spoke softly into the phone. “I need your help, I need you to come to Lukas’s house—it’s Sage.”

Knoll arrived on his brother’s doorstep before Conan did and he didn’t bother with knocking. “Grandfather?” He called bursting into the house. “Grandfather?!”

“In here son,”

Knoll rushed through the house until he reached the kitchen where he found the elderly man seated at the maple oak table with his hands folded upon it, his lips turned down unhappily. It took Knoll a moment to adjust to the sight of him—he’d have to ask Lukas how he’d managed to stay in touch with the man when no one else could. Knoll had a suspicion that Grandfather was one of the few things that kept Lukas from doing anything stupid most days.

“Grandfather what’s going on?”

“Sit,” he gestured to the chair across from him and Knoll wasted no time. Grandfather studied Knoll for a moment; he was different from when Grandfather had seen him last before the war. There were burdens on Knoll’s shoulders that hadn’t been there before. There was a laying sadness buried in his oaken eyes and he stood a little straighter than he once did. “The girls were attacked in Falcon Ridge Forest this afternoon.” Knoll’s eyes widened and Grandfather could nearly hear his heart rate speed up. “Mia, Jasmine, and Raluca are in the other room for the time being.” He informed. “Sage is unconscious in Lukas’s bedroom,” He hesitated for a moment. “Knoll your brother will not allow me to get to her. He’s Turned you see and I fear I cannot make him relent without hurting him.”

Knoll paled. “he Turned? He never Turns.” He mumbled distantly. “Lukas—he can’t—he has trou-“

“I know all about it son,” Grandfather nodded. “he and Sage are one in the same. So you see the problem in dealing with Lukas? He doesn’t have much, if any, control over his Were and so virtually we are dealing with a possessive and territorial wild wolf.”

“Hello?”

“The kitchen.” Two seconds later his grandson was bursting through the kitchen.

“Grandfather,” he panted as though he had been running.
The older man rose to his feet slowly and wrapped his arms around him. “My boy,” he said warmly. “It’s good to see you though, I am sorry to say it isn’t under better circumstances.”

“Grandfather, what’s wrong? Where’s Sage?”

Grandfather then recounted to Conan what he had only moments ago explained to Knoll.

“So what your saying is, Knoll and I have to…what? Get a hold of Lukas so you can look at Sage?” doubt clouded Conan’s eyes. Even he had enough sense to know not to tangle with Lukas’s Were if he didn’t absolutely have to.“ Grandfather,” He started then glanced at Knoll, “no offense, but Lukas is twice the Alpha Kerrick could ever be, I don’t why that is but the Alpha traits running through Lukas are just as strong as they are through Sage, and trying to keep Lukas away from Sage, his Soulmate, when she is hurt to begin with—“

“You can do this Conan Wolfe.” He stated sternly. “Despite what anyone may grumble within the shadows of their own cowardice you are your father’s son and you can handle Lukas. I do not doubt it.”

Conan closed his eyes, saying nothing for a moment as he tried to mentally prepare himself for what was about to come. “Alright,” he said at last. “Lets go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It might not be a lot to some but I can't believe the last chapter has 84 readers just from these past few days. I'd like to thank the handful of you that comment, I'm always happy to get feedback even when its just to tell me that you hope I update soon. =]

So tell me what you think so far. I figured I'd introduce Grandfather into the story. He's about the only older figure any of them have to turn to right now and I think they all need the reprieve from thinking the world is on their shoulders.