Status: all done :)

Dirty Laundry

''No stay with me''

It was early morning a few days after my birthday. Things were pretty chill, normal, well Gabe had to go out a few times but still normal all the same. Kyle was being fussy and I was worried her had colic so I was being extra careful with him burping him more and making sure his tummy wasn’t hurting him too much. He was my little prince. Sure he wasn’t my own natural born son but isn’t it the love you have for someone that counts? And I loved him like my own.

But my happy mood ended when I heard something crash downstairs. I froze as I looked down at Kyle. Gabe wasn’t home he left a few hours ago but wouldn’t be back until at least noon.
I set Kyle down making a pillow barricade and went to the closet to grab one of Gabe’s guns. I walked out slowly closing the door behind me and looked around. I crept to the stairs, I could hear men talking. I could only hear two voices though. As I walked down the hall past the statue of Ares I peeked into the living room. I sighed in relief as Matt and Landon stood there arguing. ‘’you two nearly got yourselves killed you know that right?’’ I walked out holding the gun to my side. Matt looked grim as he turned his attention to me and off Landon. ‘’Nani…we have a problem’’ he said gravely.

My heart dropped. ‘’please tell me Smith is ok’’ I swallowed. Landon looked away uncomfortably ‘’he was shot, it barely missed his heart he’s in the hospital at Langley’’ Matt delivered the news that had me in tears. ‘’he’s ok right?’’ I asked hopefully. ‘’He’s in critical condition right now…he’s in a medically induced coma if he survives the night he should recover fully’’ Landon took a step toward me as he told me the upside. He pulled me into his arms and I broke down.

I just…it felt so surreal. ‘’please tell me he’ll be ok’’ I whispered as he hugged me tight. ‘’so far he’s doing well…he didn’t want us to tell you he’s been shot but I know you better than that. You’d kill me.’’ ‘’damn right…now take me to him’’ I demanded. Matt looked uneasy ‘’they’re still monitoring him they won’t let visitors in for another hour or so’’ ‘’do I look like I care?’’ I growled. He put his hands up ‘’get ready, I don’t think you should go in a pink night gown’’ he pointed at my pajamas. I nodded ‘’ok give me fifteen minutes’’ I walked back upstairs. I got Kyle ready first quickly then took a quick shower and pulled on some clothes. I pulled my hair up in a messy bun, still damp, but I was in too much of a hurry.

We arrived at the hospital and it took everything I had not to disrespect the doctors. But it was hard when they wouldn’t listen. Landon had to hold me back a few times so I wouldn’t lunge at the jugular. ‘’you listen to me that’s my boyfriend and if I don’t see him right now I will break hell on this hospital until I find him, now you can either take me to him…or I can find him myself and destroy everything along the way. You decide’’ I grabbed one of the male doctors by the scruff of his coat as he tried to tell me I couldn’t see him. Hell fury snapped in my eyes as I glared at the SOB that was keeping me from Gabe. Landon grabbed me about the waist ‘’sorry she’s just worried, Nani let go of the poor doctor’’ ‘’no’’ I jerked away from him and brought the doctor closer ‘’bring me to him now’’ I enunciated each word menacingly. ‘’or so help me you’ll wish you were never born, I swear I will make your life miserable if I have to ask one more time’’ I seethed.

He cleared his throat as I let go of him and straightened him. ‘’follow me’’ he said in a tight voice. Matt chuckled ‘’damn’’ ‘’don’t encourage her’’ Landon whispered. I slapped him upside his head ‘’shut your mouth’’ ‘’what did I do?’’ ‘’everything’’ I growled. ‘’hell hath no fury’’ matt laughed ‘’she’s like my mother’’ he added quietly.

The doctor stopped at a door and turned to me ‘’he’s right through this door, he’s in a medically induced coma to help cope with healing. I doubt he can hear you but please be quiet as to not disturb him’’ he said trying to be respectful, probably fearing that I might turn on him again. ‘’thank you that’s I all I asked’’ I smiled at him. He looked at me with relief. Landon laughed ‘’don’t worry doc she’s harmless enough…ok maybe not she’s more lethal than Smith is but she’s loving enough’’ he chuckled.

Matt grabbed Kyle’s car seat from me ‘’go ahead we’ll stay out here’’ he urged. I looked at the intimidating door as a knot formed in my stomach. I pushed through to find Gabe hooked to machines. Two nurses crowded around him checking his vitals and placing more IVs into his arm. I felt like I was going to be sick. He was so pale. Sweat covered his brow and there were still remnants of blood on his face, neck, and arms. ‘’he lost a lot of blood we’ve sent for blood transfusions’’ the doctor told me as he stepped inside with me. Tears welled in my eyes as the nurses looked up at me with sympathy ‘’can I touch him?’’ I asked. He nodded as sympathy shone in his eyes as well.

I walked forward holding in my sob. I reached for his hand, it was cold as ice but I could feel his faint heartbeat as it went along with the steady beep of the monitor. ‘’oh my god’’ I whispered to myself as tears flooded my eyes. I held his hand to my cheek but he didn’t smell like himself. He smelt of antiseptic, antibiotics, and hospital linens. Dried blood covered his hands as I held onto him, I really could care less. My baby was hurt, but his vitals even though they were on the weak side were still steady. ‘’how fatal was the shot?’’ I asked. ‘’narrowly missed his heart, it went clean through all we had to do was patch up work…Ms.-‘’ ‘’call me Nani’’ ‘’Nani, may I ask you…what do you know of his occupation?’’ he asked with skeptical eyes.

I turned on him and glared ‘’everything, and I swear if you tell that son of a bitch Miri I’ll have your head on a pike in my front yard’’ I said deathly. The nurses turned to gasp at me as I glared down at the doctor. It was a dog eat dog world, I can’t let this doctor walk all over me. Better he fear me than anything. A healthy dose of fear was a strong shot of respect with these people. ‘’are you an assassin as well?’’ ‘’no in fact I’m a civilian but I could care less of my status. Just because I wasn’t formally trained to kill people doesn’t mean I don’t know how to’’
He looked at me with questioning eyes. I looked down at Gabe ‘’he’ll be alright right?’’ I asked. ‘’If he survives the night…yes, he’s been showing strong signs of recovery but things can go wrong. So far he’s good but that’s up to his body and the way it chooses to function’’. ‘’I told him to be careful he was already injured, but he’s too stubborn of a man to listen’’ I shook my head as tears welled in my eyes again. ‘’can I clean him?’’ I asked as I looked at the blood all over him.

‘’the nurses were just about to-‘’ ‘’the nurses don’t care for him like I do, I know for a fact that people do half way jobs when it comes to matters where it doesn’t concern them’’ I hissed. ‘’Nani…please trust us we’re doing everything we can to help him make a speedy recovery’’ he sighed. I reached out to cup Gabe’s face and nodded ‘’I know, I’m sorry; my nerves are just fried right now. Seeing him like this is killing me, I love him too much to see him hurt like this’’ I said contritely. ‘’we’re doing everything in our power to get him home to you’’ he said sincerely. ‘’that’s all I ask’’ I laid my cheek on his hand and wished he’d wake up. The smell of blood was almost overpowering right now. ‘’excuse me Ms. Nani can you please excuse me so I can get him washed up?’’ one of the nurses asked. I moved to the side. She dipped a wash cloth in a small plastic tub of water and wrung it out wiping his hands, face, neck, and shoulders. It was when she lowered the blanket from his chest that I saw the bandage that covered his entire left side of his chest that I felt helpless. It was already drenched in his blood but it seemed to have clotted since it wasn’t dripping or growing anymore.

When the nurse moved away Landon poked his head in the room. ‘’you ok?’’ he asked. I folded my arms across my chest and shook my head. He pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead ‘’he’ll be fine’’ he whispered. I sobbed uncontrollably I just want him healed and alive. ‘’who did this?’’ I asked. Landon stiffened at my question ‘’they are already dead, I killed him’’ ‘’damn…’’ ‘’Shanell you can’t go around slaughtering people’’ ‘’I can if they do this to someone I love and I damn well do it too’’ ‘’well they are already dead’’ he assured ‘’now let’s go, you didn’t eat breakfast and I’m sure if Smith was awake he’d kill me for not taking proper care of you’’ ‘’I’m not hungry’’ ‘’well you should eat all the same’’.

Days passed with little success. Gabe still hasn’t woken up, I was so worried but the doctor said ‘just give him time’ that he’d wake up soon. His vitals were healthy and he didn’t look as pale. It was after a week when he finally opened his eyes. His first word was a groan of pain followed by him jerking out the IVs ‘’baby you’re going to hurt yourself’’ I grabbed his hand as he already pulled one out. ‘’where am I?’’ he asked. ‘’Langley’’ I smiled happy he was awake. ‘’I feel like crap’’ he snorted pulling out the IVs again. ‘’Gabe stop it’’ I said worried. He tried to sit up ‘’how long was I out?’’ ‘’a week’’ ‘’damn’’ he sighed running his hand along his jaw confirming what I said as he felt his beard.

‘’where’s Kyle?’’ he asked I pointed to the couch where he was asleep in his car seat. I stood up and laid him back down ‘’don’t move too much’’ I bit my lip worried for him. He reached up and cupped my cheek ‘’you look like hell’’ he said contritely. ‘’you put me through worse’’ I sobbed. ‘’I’m sorry’’ he said rubbing his thumb along my lower lip. ‘’please don’t cry’’ ‘’I thought you were dead’’ I sniffled wiping away the tears. ‘’baby please don’t cry’’ he pulled me to him and held me. I went stiff afraid to hurt him if I moved. ‘’relax you’re not going to hurt me’’ he wiped a tear away. ‘’I’m sorry’’ he whispered rocking me lightly. ‘’god I’m pathetic, I should be the one comforting you, you’re the one hooked to machinery and all I can do is cry like a baby’’ I snorted. ‘’I’m fine’’ he shrugged.

‘’let me get the doctor’’ ‘’no stay with me’’ he laid back. I laid on his right side and just stared at the bandage in front of me. They changed it this morning but it was already bleeding through. ‘’you need to stop moving…you’re bleeding’’ I said worried as the red patch grew. ‘’oh yeah I was shot’’ he said looking down at the bandage. I looked at him wide eyed. He quirked a smile ‘’can you blame me? I woke up to your beautiful face’’ he kissed my cheek. Despite my tears I wanted to smile. He pulled out the heart monitor and it started beeping erratically. The nurse ran in wide eyed afraid he’d died only to find me and him arguing about his well being. ‘’Gabriel you need to lay down damn it!’’ I was getting frustrated with him. ‘’I’m fine’’ ‘’baby you’re bleeding through your bandage’’ ‘’I’ll replace it later’’ ‘’damn it-‘’ I stopped as I finally noticed Jenni. The sweet nurse that was helping him, ‘’sir you need to lie back down’’ she said wide eyed.

‘’I’m fine. I just need a cheeseburger and some whiskey’’ ‘’Smith listen to the nurse’’ I put my hands on my hips. ‘’only because you told me to’’ he sighed laying back down. Jenni was speechless as she saw the IVs on the floor and the machines beeping erratically. Jenni stood there awestruck ‘’he shouldn’t be up and about like this’’ ‘’thank you captain obvious but I’ve got duties that need to be handled’’ he growled annoyed. ‘’Smith be nice I know you’re sore but don’t take it out on her’’ I sighed. He nodded rolling his eyes ‘’I don’t like needles’’ ‘’yet you have so many lovely tattoos’’ I smirked. ‘’those are different’’ he snorted. ‘’Jenni can you please go get Doctor Miller?’’ ‘’yes ma’am’’ she nodded turning to leave.

‘’Gabe, please don’t make this difficult I know you hate the hospital but you almost died’’ ‘’fine fine I’ll behave’’ he grumbled. I sat beside him and cupped his cheek ‘’I know you’re sore, why don’t you let them hook you back up to the pain medication?’’ ‘’it doesn’t hurt that much’’ he shrugged. ‘’let me change your bandage?’’ ‘’ok’’ he kissed my palm. Doctor Miller walked in as I was changing his bandage. ‘’hey Xavier’’ Gabe smiled at the doctor I threatened not too long ago to get into this room. ‘’how’s your injury?’’ he asked. ‘’eh I’m fine a little sore but nothing that’ll kill me’’ he snorted. I growled at him and he smiled lightly at me ‘’I promise you I’m fine’’ he assured me. ‘’I’ll just check vitals and send you home?’’ the doctor asked. ‘’as always’’ he snorted.

‘’Jenni go get his discharge papers’’ the doctor asked lightly. He closed the door after her and moved to Gabe. ‘’you need to take it easy for at least a month Smith…I mean it this time’’ the doctor said stoically ‘’aren’t you too hairy to be my mother?’’ Gabe growled at the man. ‘’damn it Smith’’ the doctor sighed. ‘’Xavier I’ll be fine you know I will’’ ‘’what do I know I’m only a doctor’’ the man grumbled. ‘’Smith, please be reasonable’’ I sighed. ‘’I almost lost you don’t make me go through this again because you can’t sit still for three seconds’’ ‘’fine’’ he said contritely. ‘’thank you’’ I sighed relieved. Xavier looked between us then back down at Gabe’s wrist. ‘’you know you are damn lucky you got a woman like her to love you…’’ Xavier said quietly. ‘’she made my life a living hell just to see you and stayed by your side until you woke up, not many women do that for your kind of people’’ ‘’I know’’ Smith sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you for reading :)