Status: all done :)

Dirty Laundry

"That woman is the devil''

‘’so she knows’’ Xavier looked Gabe square in the eyes. ‘’yes she does and if you tell Miri I’ll kill you where you stand’’ ‘’merciful compared to what you girlfriend said to me’’ he said dryly. ‘’I stand by my word’’ I said defiantly. He chuckled nodding ‘’no doubt, don’t worry I won’t tell Miri but you two should be a little more careful. How do you explain a gunshot wound? How will Miri take this? I have to file reports you know. I can’t just write that I told Nani you were shot and she didn’t ask why. Miri is going to get suspicious’’ ‘’I grew up in a rough neighborhood, I’m used to gunshots’’ ‘’even someone being wounded?’’ ‘’I’ve seen my fair share of drive-bys I’m not ignorant I know what a gunshot wound looks like and I also seen enough not to really care for them. It’s just another wound to be patched or another corpse to be buried’’ I sighed.

It was such a waste of lives sometimes for no other reason than someone looked at someone else funny. Something passed on Xavier’s face and shook his head as he turned to Gabe, ‘’you’re fine…when Jenni gets back sign off as usual’’ he said as he walked to a white cabinet near Kyle and pulled out Gabe’s clothes that I brought for him. ‘’here’’ he handed the bundle to Gabe and stepped back ‘’I’ll be out near the nurse’s station when you’re done’’ he walked out closing the door behind him.

I crossed my arms glaring at him. ‘’what?’’ he asked innocently ‘’Gabe you were shot, take it easy’’ I said through clenched teeth. ‘’I’m fine’’ he assured me as he stood up and stretched carefully then kissed my forehead. ‘’fine, but please for my sake, take it easy’’ ‘’I will’’ he assured then dressed.

‘’where are thing one and thing two?’’ Gabe asked as I drove us home. ‘’who? Landon and Matt?’’ ‘’yeah’’ ‘’they had to take some of your assignments as you were out of commission and you will be for about a month’’ I slid my eyes to him. He pursed his lips ‘’I’m not incapable’’ ‘’baby please, if not for your health then for my sanity’’ ‘’you’re the only one who cares’’ he pouted like a child. I shook my head incredulously ‘’isn’t it enough?’’ ‘’yes’’ he sighed. I reached a hand over and grabbed his hand ‘’Gabe I know you’re a crazy workaholic…but you were injured. Please give yourself time to heal. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you like that.

You nearly gave me a heart attack alone when I had Landon and Matt in the living room telling me you were shot, and it was almost fatal…please just take it easy’’ I sighed. I knew I sounded like some control freak and a worry wart but this man drove me crazy…in all sense of the word. I worried for him. I really didn’t know what I’d do without him.

We arrived home and he went to take a shower. I cooked lunch after putting Kyle down for a nap. I made cheeseburgers since he mentioned them plus they were quick and easy. The doorbell rang and I paused to answer it Landon and Matt stood outside with hopeful expressions ‘’we heard he was up and out’’ ‘’yeah come on in he’s upstairs taking a shower why don’t you two go watch TV’’ I let them in.

Landon pulled me aside ‘’how’s he?’’ he asked in a soft voice. ‘’stubborn as usual but he’s fine’’ ‘’don’t try to nag him too much, Smith will always be Smith’’ he pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead. ‘’I know I just worry, you know me’’ I hugged him back.
‘’You snaking on my woman boy?’’ I heard Gabe’s voice behind us as he came down the stairs. I rolled my eyes as we pulled away. ‘’yeah if only she didn’t have one little problem’’ ‘’what problem would that be?’’ Gabe asked crossing his arms with a raised brow ‘’her devotion to you’’ he snorted. I flipped Landon off and walked into Gabe’s arms. He smelled like himself again, clean and manly. He didn’t shave his beard though so when I kissed his cheek it pricked my lips. ‘’lunch is almost done’’ I pulled away from him after he returned a quick kiss to me. I walked away back to the kitchen.

Gabe came in a few minutes later ‘’could you help me with the bandage?’’ he asked holding the roll and gauze. I nodded washing my hands as he pulled a stool up. He pulled off his shirt carefully to reveal the wound unwrapped. Luckily it wasn’t bleeding. I placed the gauze carefully and wrapped it firmly but not too tight to where it wouldn’t cut off his circulation. As I tucked the last bit in to keep it in place I slid my hands carefully down his chest. It felt like forever since I felt him, not just his body but him in general. Since I heard his voice and saw his eyes. And god knew how much I loved this man’s eyes.

I always found eyes the best feature on a person. You could tell everything about a person not only through their dirty laundry but by looking into their eyes. He pulled me on his lap and I laid my head against his undamaged shoulder and played with the light blond hairs on his chest. ‘’I’m sorry I made you worry’’ he whispered running his hand up my arm to grab my hand and kiss my knuckles. ‘’you didn’t make me worry Gabriel, it wasn’t you’re fault’’ I shrugged. I knew I couldn’t blame him since he didn’t have anything to do with the shooting. ‘’I learned something’’ he said absently playing with my fingers. ‘’What?’’ ‘’there is a traitor amongst us’’ he whispered in my ear. I pulled away enough to look up at him.

His eyes shone with earnestness and betrayal. ‘’Who?’’ I demanded wanting blood. His gaze went to the door where the others were. ‘’Matt’’ he said nearly making me fall out of his lap in shock. I got up and went to check on the food trying to distract myself. He followed me out to the backyard to the grill ‘’please tell me you’re lying’’ I sighed. He shook his head ‘’no, I heard him talking to the guy who shot me before Landon shot him’’ ‘’what were they saying?’’ ‘’I don’t know…I was losing too much blood to pay attention to, I just know that they were talking to each other’’ he rubbed at his chin. ‘’Should I kill him? I can poison his food’’ I suggested. That brought a chuckled to him as he pulled me into his arms and kissed me ‘’no don’t poison him, I need his motive before I go slashing his throat…or more importantly before you start poisoning someone. Shit, what have I done to you? I’ve turned you into a killing machine. One taste of blood and now you’re hooked’’ he laughed. ‘’shut up’’ I giggled rolling my eyes. ‘’should I be worried I’m next’’ ‘’no I’d never kill you’’ I assured him.

That night as I fed Kyle I couldn’t help but let my thoughts drift to Matt. What would possess him to turn on his own brother, not just in blood but also in arms? Surely not right? I mean Matt and Gabe were brothers in almost every sense of the word; they owed each other their loyalties ad respect. It wasn’t right. I think something was missing. A man wouldn’t just turn on his brother like that, this could be some ploy created by Miri to pit her sons against each other…but why?

Gabe was lying on his back beside me. I just sort of ignored him until he finally spoke up ‘’you’re being very quiet’’ he sat up and cupped Kyle’s head and stroked his hair softly. ‘’I was just thinking’’ I shrugged still in thought. ‘’About?’’ ‘’what you told me, about Matt’’ ‘’and?’’ ‘’I don’t think it’s what it seems’’ ‘’how?’’ ‘’How do we know it’s not Miri trying to plot you two against each other’’ ‘’Miri wouldn’t have gotten me shot’’ ‘’no, but she could have you momentarily out of commission and nearly helpless-‘’ ‘’I’m not helpless’’ ‘’I said nearly, of course you’re not helpless’’ I rolled my eyes. ‘’well what are you implying? My boss is pitting my brother against me?’’ ‘’divide and conquer…who knows maybe she feels wronged? Maybe it’s not her at all but it couldn’t have been Matt acting on his own. He loves you and owes a lot to you. Why turn around and throw that away now?’’ he looked up at me with understanding in his eyes. My words must have reached through to him.

I lifted Kyle to burp him. ‘’you might be onto something’’ he lay back down as I stood up to take Kyle to his bed. I kissed his forehead then laid him down. I turned the baby monitor on then went back to Gabe. I crawled into bed beside him; he pulled me against him laying his chin on my shoulder. ‘’do you think Miri is after me?’’ he asked. I shrugged ‘’I don’t know, I’m just saying…it’s a possibility. Or it could be just as easy as Matt was talking to your would be assailant for the hell of it. It could have just been a coincidence and mean nothing at all’’ ‘’I don’t know, I just know he was talking to the man who shot me, though he seemed angry’’ ‘’let’s not talk about this anymore, you need your rest and stressing over ‘what ifs’ isn’t very helpful in a recovery process’’ I snuggled into him and kissed his palm as he tightened his arms around me. ‘’night’’ I yawned. ‘’night’’ he said quietly.

I woke up the next morning to Kyle crying. The sun wasn’t even up, it was way too early. I sighed rolling carefully away from Gabe so I wouldn’t wake him ‘’you want me to get him?’’ he asked ‘’nah I got him go back to bed’’ I climbed out of bed and walked to Kyle’s room. I made him a bottle and brought him back to our room. ‘’where is Jared?’’ I asked since I hadn’t seen him since him and Gabe left in the beginning.

‘’He’s with Miri’’ ‘’why?’’ ‘’she requested him to be part of her body guard detail for a week while she’s up in D.C. he’ll be home in a few days’’ ‘’oh, phew I thought he went down when you went down’’ ‘’no’’ he chuckled. He lay on his side watching me with Kyle. ‘’how’s he? I feel like I haven’t seen him in ever’’ ‘’he’s fine, a little colicky lately but fine’’ I smiled lightly. I set the bottle down on the nightstand and lifted him to burp him. Gabe let him grab his thumb in his small little hand as I lay him between us. I laid down on my side and watched as Gabe played with Kyle even at this ungodly hour it seemed almost adorable. Before I knew it I fell asleep.

I didn’t think I’d ever be so shocked. It amazed me how much a person could pick on small details if they were looking for them. So now as Miri sat before me I could see it in her eyes. She knew Gabe was hers. And she knew he knew. Gabe went the kitchen to speak to Jared for a moment but while they were gone I really got to observing Miri.

‘’you know’’ I said quietly as I drank some of the lemonade that I made. She stiffened ‘’what?’’ ‘’you know he’s your son don’t you’’ ‘’don’t be ridiculous’’ ‘’ridiculous? Me? You’re the one denying your child’’ ‘’Matt is my only son’’ she glared at me. I smirked ‘’oh yeah, that’s not what Alistair said’’ ‘’Alistair is a lunatic that’ll be handled when I leave’’ ‘’if you take away my baby’s grandfather I’ll have your throat’’ ‘’you don’t frighten me’’ she snorted. ‘’didn’t mean to, it was merely a promise. Alistair loves Kyle’’ ‘’comes around often?’’ ‘’when he’s in town’’ ‘’and Smith allows him in his house?’’ ‘’of course, it’s his father, you on the other hand are the bitch who birthed him…not his mother, a mother implies a heart. You have no heart, you fill your children with hatred and scorn and expect too much out of them’’.

‘’You don’t know me’’ ‘’I know you enough besides Matt is my friend, and whenever he talks about you he gets this tenseness in his face that tells me he doesn’t want to talk about you…I wonder why’’ I said absently as I burped Kyle. ‘’I don’t know what you’re talking about’’ ‘’don’t you?’’ I smirked. She glared daggers at me ‘’oh the mean old ice witch is glaring at me, dare I run for cover or act like dear in headlight, or better yet fall to my knees and beg for my life’’ I mocked. It didn’t seem to amuse her. ‘’Miri stop bullshitting me because I already know ok? He may look like Alistair but there are those tiny little things that come from you. I’m not dumb, genetics is a tricky thing but there are a lot of similarities. And I just have to ask why?’’

She seemed at a loss of words. ‘’I don’t know what you’re talking about’’ she said stoically. I sighed rolling my eyes. ‘’fine be that way, he doesn’t need you anyway. But let me tell you something, Gabe is such a good man. You should be proud and yet you scorn him. I don’t know what it would take a mother to even try to ignore but I think it’s dumb. He’s your baby; you carried him for nine months inside you. If you didn’t want him you could have gotten rid of him but you didn’t, why bother carrying him nine months if you didn’t care? I look down at Kyle and I wonder how you could give up a baby. They’re precious, and I’d withstand hell fire if it would make him smile’’ ‘’while you’re devotion is adoring and sweet did you ever think maybe I wasn’t fit to be a mother?’’ ‘’but two years or so later and you were huh?’’ I sighed drolly.

She came up short ‘’I…I-‘’ ‘’please I don’t want to hear it. I’ll never understand that, or maybe it’s the fact that you couldn’t stand the thought of having him in your family because you didn’t want a bastard born son right? You left his father to per sue Matt’s and you’d be damned before anyone got in the way, including your own son’’ ‘’that wasn’t it at all’’ she hissed at me. ‘’enlighten me oh great Kazoo’’ I said wryly. ‘’…my mother hated Alistair’’ she said after a long debate with herself.

‘’She didn’t like him at all; I couldn’t have gone home to her with his child. Then one thing led to another and I married Matt’s father, she did like him so it didn’t matter if I was pregnant’’ ‘’pathetic’’ I snorted. She looked at me wide eyed ‘’what?’’ ‘’pathetic, my mother doesn’t like Gabe but she tolerates him because I love him. They haven’t even met and she hates his guts but I tell her that I love him and if she doesn’t play nice I’ll stop calling. But you, ugh I can’t stand people like you. You act superior when in reality you are so inferior that you still ask for mommy and daddy’s approval. How long will it take for you to finally understand it’s not what they want it’s what you want? He’s your son. You carried him for nine months then went through the agony of birthing him. Why give him up after you went through so much for him? Because mommy said no?’’

‘’You don’t know anything about me’’ she glared at me. ‘’you are absolutely right, but you haven’t given me any better reasons to not assume things about you. I live with Gabriel; I know how much it hurts him even when he tries to hide it and doesn’t say anything. I’m not blind and I’m definitely not psychotic’’ ‘’you sure about that’’ ‘’bitch don’t try me’’ I grimaced at her.
Before we could really get into it Gabe and Jared walked out of the kitchen. Out hushed argument went deathly silent. It continued with us just staring at each other with malice in our eyes. She stood up ‘’now that I’ve returned you’re little apprentice whatnot to you, I’ll take my leave’’ she turned her back to us walking out the door. ‘’that woman is the devil’’ I grumbled.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading ya'll are awesome!!! <3