Saving Grace

Time to go.

Baffled, I slowly shook my head; even though a small part of me wanted to say, "Yes." But, I couldn't take advantage of his state. "No... we never kissed," I admitted. I frowned, he looked scared and lost. Part of me was mad at my sister; I think that text message could've been the cause of his accident. "But-" before I could even finish that statement, a nurse came bursting into the room. Glancing up, I watched as she checked his vital signs and ran a few memory tests. None of which were all that successful. The nurse let out a small, frustrated sigh and turned to me.

"His parents are out of town, well actually they're out of the state for a funeral of Travis's father's friend. They can't be back for at least another two days," the nurse seemed unhappy with this. "But he really shouldn't be brought anywhere besides his home... he needs someone to look after him for a few days." She seemed flustered, and went back to looking at Travis's charts.
"I can watch him," I offered. It would mean sacrificing a few days of work; but I really did need a few days off from standing behind a desk and making coffee for other people.
"And you are?" The nurse glanced at me like I was insane.
"John, his friend."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Getting the hospital to allow them to discharge Travis; and let me take him home was a fucking nightmare. Eventually, I was wheeling Travis down to my car in a wheelchair, a nurse following behind me. They kept reminding me to expect him to be scared and confused -- and that if anything goes wrong, don't hesitate to call. No matter how many times I assured them that we'd be fine, they were still reluctant to let us leave.

Luckily, I knew where Travis lived. I pulled into the empty driveway, it was late and dark. I helped Travis out of the car and brought him to the front door. "Shit."
The door was locked, of course it was. Travis's keys were probably still in the ignition of his totaled car. I knew he wouldn't remember where the family kept the spare house key. I began to search in the usual places -- under the mat, behind the flower pot, in the flower pot, in the mailbox. The fact that it was dark made this task even more difficult.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3