My Boy Hood

Someone That I Use To Know...

“You won! You won!” Lala shrieked, running into me.

I smiled, excited and still panting from the hard work. “Nick, my man! We did it! We did it!” Blake said, picking me up for a ‘man’ hug.

I looked at coach, who was giving a pump to another man, which was my dad. “Dad?” I said.

Blake stopped shaking me, and put me down, “Dad?” He asked, repeating what I said.

“Yeah, my dad’s here.” I said, “I’ll be right back.”

I left the group and joined Coach Dee and my father, “Dad? What are you doing here?” I asked, I don’t really remember him saying he’d come.

My father laughed, “Oh, son, you really think I’ll miss your first game? Also, I had an old friend to catch up with.”

“Oh.” I said, just dumbfounded.

“My son did great.” Dad said to Coach Dee, “But of course the team is only as good as the coach.”

I decided to walk away from the duo and take a seat on a bench, rubbing my hands through my sweaty hair. Dad called me ‘son’. I mean, sure I should expect it, but to hear him actually say it is was taking its toll on me. Something caught my eye, and I looked toward the doors that left into the school lobby (it was also the exit to the parking lot). I saw the back of a woman through the crowd.

My eyes widen as I stood. It couldn’t be. I ran through the crowd and ignored the outburst from Lala and Blake. I ran through the doors, where I saw the woman exit and from the lobby outside. I saw the red lights of a limousine. I swallowed, wondering if I’ve really seen her.

It seemed to be a little bit before I came to my senses, “Nick?”

I looked behind me, where Jeremy was standing on the bottom step, hands in pockets, “You okay?”

I looked back where the limo left, “Yeah…”

I scratched my head, then took a step back to turn around, “Yeah, thought I saw someone I knew.”

“Was it a woman?” He asked.

I looked at him, slightly amazed, “Did you see her?”

He nodded, sitting down on the step, “Her name’s Ronda Johnson. She’s a legislature of some sort. I can’t really remember.”

My jaw clenched, “She works with the mayor. She’s got more connections than the mayor himself.”

“Yeah, and she has a daughter too.” Jeremy added, “I think she’s our age almost. She’s never heard of though.”

“I don’t blame her.” I said, taking a seat on the steps.

“Really.” Jeremy spat on the ground.

I scratched my arm, I really wanted to tell him, but knew I couldn’t. The conversation made me curious though, “Have you met her?”

“Who? Ronda?”

I shook my head, “The daughter.”

“Oh, I remembered seeing her when I was young, of course that was before Ronda divorced.”

I leaned back against the steps, “Humph, really now?”

Jeremy looked up at the bright sky, the temperature was cool, and it was nice soaking up the sun, “Have you met her?”

I stared at the pattern on my shorts before answering. I was about to say yes, but the doors opened, and we saw a swarm of people making their way out. Jeremy and I got up and we started up the stairs against the crowd. Once we got inside, we made our way to the locker room. As if remembering that I didn’t answer, Jeremy asked, “So?”

I blinked, “Oh. No.”

There was no way I’d tell him I was acquainted with my true self. I’ll stay ignorant of the girl who he once knew. I just hope he didn’t find out that the girl he once is right beside him. And that woman he saw, Ronda…

I clenched my jaw tight, I didn’t believe she’d come here. I haven’t seen her since I left 9 years ago. I never wanted to see her again. I never wanted to hear her voice, her name, or the question that many would ask if they saw my dad.

I never want to see my mother ever again. Not after the hell I had to go through when I was young.
♠ ♠ ♠
So after seeing her mother in all these years... what will happen now? Is there a reason Nicky's mom was at the game? There's a tight history between these two, and we'll soon learn what happens later on.

Besides all that, we still need to know what Lala's big surprise is. What will it be? And what does Nicky do to prepare to help?

Next chapter awaits :)

Also, sorry for the late update, I had a crazy week last week and these past few days. School is over for the summer now, and i don't have to worry about finals! Woo! More time to sleep and type! :D

More characters are up! Be sure to look!